Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Appalling service from Halliwell Jones Chester, UK

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Screamer

Appalling service from Halliwell Jones Chester, UK

Post by Screamer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:16 pm

Took my car into Halliwell Jones in Chester recently for a few minor warranty issues (rattles, etc). Picked it up 2 days later. Had the rattles been fixed? No. Fortunately, I've got a workshop manual for the car, so I can do it myself. They did adjust my glovebox catch as requested and had left the entire surface of it covered in dust. Now glad they didn't do anything else. When I dropped the car off, I asked whether it was possible to have some settings changed in my key. I asked for the full list of options and was told they couldn't get them until they had gone into the system. Assumed I'd get a list when I collected the car. That, unsuprisingly, didn't happen. I went through a few options that i'd picked up online, and we ended up with 2 of the 5 (ish) options i'd requested being agreed. All was fine after that - picked up the car and found the options successfully programmed into the car (presumably only on the 1 key, as that's the only one I gave them).

Until... A couple of days ago, when, out of the blue, I get a call from the dealership telling me they've made a mistake and that I owe them £45 for the key programming service! So what they've asked me to do there is pay for their mistakes. I don't know how it works for other people here who might run their own businesses, but whenever I make a mistake on billing issues, I have to stick by them. Anyway, contacted BMW customer services who told me they'd contact the dealership and get them to ring me to explain why i'd been billed, and hadn't been told. I assumed/hoped this would mean 'a sturn talking to and the bill paid by BMW/the dealership out of goodwill'... Erm, no. Instead, I hear nothing and had to ring back again today to BMW to get them to repeat the whole thing. This time I do get a call from the dealership and am told that the glovebox etc work they did isn't covered by warranty and that was all goodwill work, so they have to charge me for the key settings... Since when has a troublesome glovebox catch and rattles not been warranty work?! Funnily enough, he didn't mention that it was being done on goodwill when I dropped the car off...

Either way, i've now paid up and thought i'd then post this glowing review of their work. Suffice to say I'll be going through to Liverpool (my next nearest dealer) for anything/everything else I ever need (fingers crossed that they're not as bad!)
Z4 M Coupe: Imola Red: CSL's + Goodyear F1 Aysmmetric 245/35 (f) 275/30 (r); Brace; CDV delete; Intravee iPod (w/deep sleep mod); Nav; DSP hi-fi (THX); Bluetooth; ConnectedDrive; Cruise; Champagne nappa; Seat heating; Park distance; Storage pack; Flaps

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Appalling service from Halliwell Jones Chester, UK

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:07 am

Once again an example of Del Boy service from good old BMW UK. IMHO this is as much BMW UK's fault as the dealers, as they should have been given the stern talking to and the bill waived, like you suggested.

Sorry to hear about your experience, I hope Liverpool treat you better.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 am

£45 for key programming? What a rip off!!! On the previous Z, I did it myself whilst it was connected to the machine. The connection time was 5 seconds, the programming I did within 2 minute as it is just a touch screen. Total job less then 3 minutes.

And you are right - you will only have a single key programmed now ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Thu May 01, 2008 8:39 am

Interesting!

Halliwell Jones wanted £70 more than Williams Liverpool for an Oil service and brake fluid change on my Z4, guess who got my business!

The parking in HJ is rubbish anyway and the workshop in Williams looks much smarter.

Saying that Williams didn't fix my rattles either - so I did it myself :roll:

zed-light

Post by zed-light » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:12 am

Halliwell Jones is the WORSE BMW dealer in the UK and possible the world

Even thinking about them makes me sooooooo angry.

I bought a nearly new Zed (6months old). Had some paintwork problem. Contacted them, they continually ignored me. I took the issue to BMW UK. Halliwell Jones made out (in written communication) that they offered me many opportunities and made me look like I a difficult customer. Luckily I kept all written communications and confronted them for fraud. I was about to appoint a solicitor when the main dealer man called and almost begged me to drop the case (explanation; some internal problems as they have recently opened a new branch!!) and compensated me handsomely. I decided to drop the case, as did not have the energy and settlement was very attractive.

Take home message:

1) Halliwell Jones is the WORSE BMW dealer in the UK and possible the world
2) BMW UK rubbish and quickly took side with the dealer

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 am

So far, BMW UK has come out very good for me as they have "made" my dealer sort out oustanding issues and send a compensation cheque ...
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:54 am

zed-light wrote:Halliwell Jones is the WORSE BMW dealer in the UK and possible the world

Even thinking about them makes me sooooooo angry.

I bought a nearly new Zed (6months old). Had some paintwork problem. Contacted them, they continually ignored me. I took the issue to BMW UK. Halliwell Jones made out (in written communication) that they offered me many opportunities and made me look like I a difficult customer. Luckily I kept all written communications and confronted them for fraud. I was about to appoint a solicitor when the main dealer man called and almost begged me to drop the case (explanation; some internal problems as they have recently opened a new branch!!) and compensated me handsomely. I decided to drop the case, as did not have the energy and settlement was very attractive.

Take home message:

1) Halliwell Jones is the WORSE BMW dealer in the UK and possible the world
2) BMW UK rubbish and quickly took side with the dealer

When this happen? I thought you had a 2005 Z4?

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5213

zed-light

Post by zed-light » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:29 pm

yest it was. obviosly I am writing my experience with HWJ restroseptectively!!

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:01 am

Fair enough!

I got my Z from HWJ. They were fine when buying it, but can't say I am impressed with the aftersales service - so I go elsewhere now!

zed-light

Post by zed-light » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I too found the process of buying the car very pleasant (dealt with a nice, polite chap).

Problem starts soon after that, ie as you said, aftersales care which is non existant.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Always the way... sales people have a vested interest in being nice. I would never judge a dealer by the sales, only the service.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:34 pm

sp3ctre wrote:Always the way... sales people have a vested interest in being nice. I would never judge a dealer by the sales, only the service.
That is true, but the aftersales service I got from Honda was very good, why can't BMW in there glass and chrome houses be like that? All they seem interested in is the contents of your wallet! :x

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:15 pm

adambmw wrote:
sp3ctre wrote:Always the way... sales people have a vested interest in being nice. I would never judge a dealer by the sales, only the service.
That is true, but the aftersales service I got from Honda was very good, why can't BMW in there glass and chrome houses be like that? All they seem interested in is the contents of your wallet! :x
Yuo, I bought my TT from a Honda dealer and the after sales was great too...

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Never knew you were a closet TT-er :D
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm

pvr wrote:Never knew you were a closet TT-er :D
yup :hairdryer: