Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Berrys Chiswick - Rattles / Clunk & Diagnostic Cost

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
cyhliu

Re: BMW Berrys Chiswick - Diagnostic Cost

Post by cyhliu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 am

I have to say, I've taken my motor to them twice and I'm been happy with their service so far. The first time for some AUC work regarding the ABS sensor, which they fixed and the second time for an Inspection One service (cheapest around London too as I was ringing round to get quotes), both times they returned the car as promised, cleaned and in good condition. The guys there seem really friendly, sometime almost too friendly that it's scary! I'm also sceptical of dealers and will probably take mine to an independent for the next service.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 am

Sharon Baxter is the Service Manager for Berrys Heathrow, she used to be at Chiswick, and she's really good. HR Owen Acton are much better. And if you have kids, the service guys will take them around the workshop and show them Bugattis, Lambos etc etc

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:24 am

Got my car back today, still waiting for the funds to clear from Luton so had to pay for the work myself for now.

Car was "washed" for me. Knocking noise has gone but I still hear a faint rattling, could be the rear boot cover I suppose though.

They gave me a discount £224 all in so if Luton have paid the £239 then im a few quid in..

All in all not too displeased with them. Also spotted a dark M coupe while I was there..

jamesgarbett

Post by jamesgarbett » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 am

To be fair my local dealer has arranged to be reimbursed by my supplying dealer for any non-warranty work they have done on my Zed and I haven't had to reach for my wallet at all.
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Berry's Chiswick tried and failed to rip me off when I took mine for a service there - oil service, I supplied the oil.... Phone call 3 hours later with a long list of things 'that we advise need doing'.. like brakes, puncture (that wasnt) etc... total quote was £1500 :o

Car had been MOT'd a couple of months before and not driven for long since then so the brakes were fine.

Paid for the service only, which they tried to overcharge for too. I think they are primarily geared up for the business market where company car owners (ie the company) pick up the tab no questions asked :roll:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 am

Well the rattle has returned, less than 90 miles after "resolving" the issue.

I will be taking it back to Chiswick for a "technician" to ride along with me and listen to the noise.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 pm

bluestreak56 wrote:...All in all not too displeased with them...
How about now?!

Sorry to hear you're still having problems... I would consider very seriously taking it somewhere else
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Good question, I'll let you know IF they fix the issue. Will certainly be going elsewhere if I can next time. Shame another dealer isnt down the road from me!

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Well you were right. Waited 30 mins because they were "busy"

Got a "technician" for a ride along, he stated himself "there are a lots of different rattles" however the one I'm most concerned about "is definitely not the same issue as before".

My service manager was unavailable throughout my visit so I didnt have a chance to talk to him and rather than book it in to be charged another £154 I just left.

I shall be looking for a good indie to look at this for me and if it turns out to be the same issue, I will take them then invoice to pay!

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Had a phone call from Berry's Chiswick. They believe the issue to be suspension related and are looking at stripping the entire rear end to find it!

I really hope 1) Luton are going to foot the bill and 2) Its back with me in time for the London Meet on Sunday :(

Waiting at the moment for Lutons answer.. :thumbsdown:

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Berrys Chiswick - Rattles & Diagnostic Cost

Post by bluestreak56 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Update - A "senior tech" at Chiswick believes the noise may be rear shock top mounts as he has had this on other zeds. This is a warranty item and if it turns out to be this issue then no cost associated.

However if its not the cost will be £154 for an hours investigation..

So im waiting on Luton to be able to confirm if they will cover this cost IF its not the cause..

Z4 Coupe

Re: BMW Berrys Chiswick - Rattles & Diagnostic Cost

Post by Z4 Coupe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:32 pm

I had this "diagnostic fee" threatened when I tried to claim for my 108 corrosion.

Is it just us AUC customers who have this threat or do you new car customers have it too?

I've never had this before at any other dealers. :thumbsdown:

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Berrys Chiswick - Rattles / Clunk & Diagnostic Cost

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Right well its looking increasingly likely I will have to take the car back to Luton for them to look at it (if they agree to do it charge free).

Something else Chiswick said to me today was that the AUC doesnt kick in for 60 days so I might not be covered till then! :thumbsdown:

Im tempted to try to give the car back and buy the ruby black one on autotrader for £3k less than I paid!

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Berrys Chiswick - Rattles / Clunk & Diagnostic Cost

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Got my car back today after giving it in on Wednesday (3 working days) they hadnt done anything other than a few more rides and some external visual inspections.

A "courtesy wash and hoover" which included a layer of dust over the paint work (doubt it was washed) and they had replaced my rear valve caps with plastic ones. Naturally I told them to get them back.

Im pretty certain I will be taking the car back to Luton if the noise persists, although I didnt hear it on the ride home, will see on Sunday for sure!

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Berrys Chiswick - Rattles / Clunk & Diagnostic Cost

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:16 pm

Something else Chiswick said to me today was that the AUC doesnt kick in for 60 days so I might not be covered till then! :thumbsdown:
Is that right? Either way sale of goods act would cover you. Personally if you threaten to hand it back under the return policy I bet a great deal more willingness to fix it will appear.

Tapatalking...
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue