Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

cars been bumped (whilst at BMW Rochdale)

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: cars been bumped (whilst at BMW Rochdale)

Post by pvr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:07 pm

Isn't an important detail that they parked the car in that location, and not Taz, so they were in charge of the car at the time and driving under their insurance?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

krusty

Re: cars been bumped

Post by krusty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

teamemmenracing wrote:Personally I wouldn't even get into more arguments - start procedings immediately .......... Ie get a brief to write a letter saying procedings are starting (let a judge decide). Once thats in motion, things usually get easier....
This is the most appalling advice. Never ever start proceedings against another party unless (a) other avenues have been shown to be exhausted, and (b) you have written advice from your solicitor advising you that the prospects of success are very good. If you start proceedings and lose (or start proceedings and stop them), you will have to pay the other sides costs (in addition to your own). Legal costs of proceedings will vastly exceed the costs of the repair. If you start proceedings without exhausting civil letters setting out your case and the position of the other side, your conduct may be considered frivolous, and your conduct will count against you in a hearing on costs.

The law is an ass ... it is not always clear. Only idiots prance into battle without checking how the land lies first.
Last edited by krusty on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:12 pm

srhutch wrote:They will probably point to the little sign on the wall of the service department that says they accept no responsibility of your property whilst in their care.

I recall when I studied contract law (admittedly some time ago) that such a sign is not enforcable. It suggests that the company cannot be liable for anything whatsoever. This cannot be. So if a BMW employee reverses you car into a wall at the dealership, the sign suggests that they are not responsible/liable. - Rubbish.

Taz, i'd advise in investing in 30 minutes with a solictor.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Ok summary of conversation:

Mr Z - BMW will try to avoid liability at all costs. Check the sign in the car park for any disclaimer - could you have seen it....?
srhutch wrote:They will probably point to the little sign on the wall of the service department that says they accept no responsibility of your property whilst in their care.
Mr Z - Was the car ready for pick up from previous repair work? It could help in the event of a dispute if your car wasnt ready for pick up, as it shouldnt be parked in the customer car park if not ready for pre-arranged pick up?

Mr Z's advice is to talk to Mrs X and pursue her insurance company. If she doesnt cooperate, get a quote from BMW for repair (backed by a warranty). Send the quote to her insurers demanding payment.

As others have said - you might need to get nasty on this one. It's likely given BMWs stance that the answer lies with Mrs X and not BMW though.
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

SimonJ

Post by SimonJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:19 pm

No worries, obviously not to be taken as legal advice just opinion!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Adamski wrote: Mr Z - Was the car ready for pick up from previous repair work? It could help in the event of a dispute if your car wasnt ready for pick up, as it shouldnt be parked in the customer car park if not ready for pre-arranged pick up?
I was due to pick it up, they have had it for 8 weeks for warranty work :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I think i will try and speak with a solicitor

teamemmenracing

Post by teamemmenracing » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:00 pm

krusty wrote:
teamemmenracing wrote:Personally I wouldn't even get into more arguments - start procedings immediately .......... Ie get a brief to write a letter saying procedings are starting (let a judge decide). Once thats in motion, things usually get easier....
This is the most appalling advice. Never ever start proceedings...............

Well thats one opinion ..... and you are entitled to it. By starting procedings, I think I said "ie get a brief to write a letter saying prodecings are starting....."
Maybe I was unclear ....... writing the letter is only the start of the procedure, which is where it usually stops. No brief would proceed or allow you to proceed unless there was a case to win. The point of starting the procedure ..... is because a legal brief is the expert, and you are not ........ they dont rely on 20 different peoples different opinions, they rely on the law.

I have 2 instances where I used this succesfully, once against an insurance company over a 150 quid claim ..... and one with an estate agent who billed me 10 grand for services not rendered. Both were settled within 24 hrs.

I also have work experience where .......... squabbles about who owes what to who ......... are allowed to run their course on the basis of they may go away, and even if they don't, there is no extra cost...... so why bother - until a legal letter drops through the door ..... and its settle now before the costs get out of control.

It was only offered as advice .............. and I duly appologise if I have appalled anyone.
"........it seemed like a good idea at the time yer honour ......"

BMW Z4 - A Big Red One

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Adamski wrote:
:(

If it had been a BMW member of staff, things may have been different. But from what Taz has said, reckon BMW will pin all laibility on Mrs X, and want nothing more to do with it.... :thumbsdown:
If the dealer themselves had damaged the car I don't think this thread would have gone on as long as I'm sure the dealer would have sorted. But as it was another customer it's a different story so long as the dealer hasn't been negligent.

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Reading this briefly I can only conclude the the dealer is responsible as the car was in their care and they parked it when it got hit - end of storey as far as I can see. Especially if they parked it in the public part of the car park as it should be in the service area, I would say it would be different if you had just dropped it off or they had finished and you were collecting that day.

So yes if they are not playing ball i think it is worth seeing a solicitor or googling for a forum with advaice on insurance law which would be cheaper

If the shoe was on the other foot and you were driving one of their cars under your own insurance I don't think they would be impressed if you left the car in a car park and someone bumped it and you said it's up to them to argue with the third party.
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:51 pm

teamemmenracing wrote:I duly appologise if I have appalled anyone.
LOL :D

Taz hope you get it sorted ok.

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 am

Just been reading this,no Zed for 8 weeks and then this happens,you must be gutted and very angry.I would have thought ,it was up to them to sort it for you.Wether it be duty of care,or customer relations,i think they have a moral responsibility to sort it for you.
Good luck hope your back on the road soon.

Bandit007

Post by Bandit007 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:57 am

Taz, are you a member on Pistonheads? If not why not join and post your situation in the SP&L section. They have some legal eagles on there that may be able to advise you of your options and suggest a course of action. Just a thought..........

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:41 am

Saw your car at BMW Rochdale today, but didn't immediately notice any damage.

However, does seem strange that it's always there when I take mine in :poke:

BTW, as I was booking it in, the conversation turned to the exorbitant cost of Insp1 & Insp2. They claimed the reason the cost of the Insp2 was almost double that of the Insp1 is down to valve clearances. I didn't bother pointing out their error. I'm glad it's only in for a follow-up to the leaking cam cover seal that was supposed to be fixed (in fact replaced during a standard Inspection) during the Insp1 3 months ago, as there's a published £18/day 'admin' charge for use of their 118D SE - don't know if they're going to waive it or not yet - but I can hire a Ford Ka for that from Enterprise.
Last edited by mmm-five on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ChawenHalo

Post by ChawenHalo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 am

krusty wrote:
This is the most appalling advice. Never ever start proceedings against another party unless (a) other avenues have been shown to be exhausted, and (b) you have written advice from your solicitor advising you that the prospects of success are very good. If you start proceedings and lose (or start proceedings and stop them), you will have to pay the other sides costs (in addition to your own). Legal costs of proceedings will vastly exceed the costs of the repair. If you start proceedings without exhausting civil letters setting out your case and the position of the other side, your conduct may be considered frivolous, and your conduct will count against you in a hearing on costs.

The law is an ass ... it is not always clear. Only idiots prance into battle without checking how the land lies first.

Its a good point. But if you have exhausted all avenues ie: they won't hear reason, then get legal advice (credit card, insurers of your car etc). TeamMenacing is correct that you will get a different lmevel of answer. That dealership is probably hoping that you will just go away.

Best of luck dude. I'm amaized BMW HQ will have nothing to do with it. What do their customer service say?
Z4MC. ACS CF diffuser silencers side skits. Pagid RS29 & Goodridge. Gruppe M Bilstein B16PSS10 H&R ARBS. Delage Sport chassis. MPS2. Audi A8 4.2TDI 2008 runabout.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Taz x,

Sorry to hear of this nonsense and really hope it can be sorted amicably however:

Not an expert on this type of problem so please don’t act on my advice without getting proper legal guidance if required. However here’s food for thought. Car insurance liability extends to its use and in general the person using is the driver of that vehicle and hence must be insured to basic UK requirements. Of course an owner can be liable for its use if the car is used by a driver (commercial vehicle insurance usually where a number of people use a fleet vehicle) but only in certain circumstance and where liability can extend to the owner through illegal use of the vehicle – allowing use with defective parts for example.

Now to the conundrum of this problem. At the time the Zed was moved from its original position to where the damage occurred then the Rochdale BMW employed driver/mechanic who moved the vehicle would need to be covered by the dealers insurance (including public liability insurance). All pretty standard stuff. The question then, in this case, is that the owner had no control over where, when and how the vehicle was parked prior to the collision and it could be argued that the dealers insurance (and indeed his/her liability) must apply until such time as full and complete control of the vehicle is handed back to the owner i.e the owner was in control of the vehicle at the time of the incident. For example where a garage takes a vehicle for a test drive and the garage employed test driver decides to park and get a coffee or whatever and the stationary vehicle is involved in a road traffic incident then the liability must fall on the garage and their insurance as direct control of the vehicle was not with the owner but with the garage employee.

So legal advice I think is the appropriate first resort if it cant get sorted. Citizens advice as ever can help identify a local lawyer where you get the first 30 mins for free to assess your case and see if its a runner.

As with all these types of matters meticulously record the interaction between you and the dealership. Record the nature of all telephone conversations and always ask them to confirm in writing to you any decision they may make. Likewise deal with them through written correspondence – recorded delivery or hand delivered. Try and avoid any arguments on the phone as this will generally get you nowhere. Often demonstrating a professional and considered approach to such matters is sufficient to get them to capitulate. AND DONT use legal action as a threat. Any recourse to a legal remedy should be a considered approach based on proper advice and let your lawyer make the formal contact.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net