Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gaptech

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
bz4kev

Gaptech

Post by bz4kev » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Well to say I am very disappointed is a understatement I have had my gaptech roof module for 2 years and it has stopped all functionality all wires are soldered and fitted professionally I know there is a 12 month warranty but really 2 years is no time at all contacted gaptech and the reply I got was sounds like a power issue check your cigarette lighter is working which it is and have had it checked over so the problem is the module itself I have had no other response from gaptech so I will wait with baited breath but for what these cost to manufacture you would think it was a no brainer to replace rather than lose customer support and possible sales through recommendation hope I am proved wrong and they come through has anybody else had issues with the rch+ module I wonder :tumbleweed:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:47 pm

It’s frustrating i know but you’ve had it for double the length of the warranty period now :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

bz4kev

Gaptech

Post by bz4kev » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:16 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:47 pm It’s frustrating i know but you’ve had it for double the length of the warranty period now :?
Rob
I hear what your saying but am I supposed to buy a new one every 13 months surely you would expect to get a fair 5 to 10 years with the very little use it gets in our country's climate 🤔
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:01 am

bz4kev wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:16 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:47 pm It’s frustrating i know but you’ve had it for double the length of the warranty period now :?
Rob
I hear what your saying but am I supposed to buy a new one every 13 months surely you would expect to get a fair 5 to 10 years with the very little use it gets in our country's climate 🤔
I think if you’d owned it for 13 months they might be sympathetic, you’ve had yours for 24 months though haven’t you? I’d be amazed if they doubled the guarantee period.
Good luck with it :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:53 pm

Strange, I found Gary at GapTech very helpful when I had a faulty module - have you asked him if you can return the module for him to check over?

As another thought, you say the wires have been soldered - this isn't always the best way to splice into automotive wiring as there's a fair amount of movement/flex in wiring looms and solder joints, being rigid, can fail if they are in unsupported sections. I'd always recommend using crimped insulated bullet connectors. Crimping gives a more consistent connection and also reduces strain as the end of the crimped connector grips the insulation of the wire rather than the wire itself.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

gadgetJunky72

Gaptech

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:52 am

FYI - I bought the SmartTop for the E85 at almost double the price of the GapTech and it too is temperamental at times.