Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW booking team? - f'in team more like

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:46 am

So I've got another recall notice for our 5 series - maybe this time they have the parts to change the sensor. Our was deemed to be OK unlike some last year where owners took their car in and never got it back for weeks because parts weren't available.

My local main dealers always makes made me feel like I was 'cheque book cattle' - can never get a straight quote for work they just give me the impression that I should pay up and be grateful for them agreeing to sell me the car in the first place.

So I thought I'd try another main dealer - the recall work has to be done by them not an indie. I wait until after 9:00 for the rush at reception to subside and call the 'service' number; I'm asked to hold while they transfer me. Fair enough there busy but after a few minutes I'm told that I will have to call again all the booking team is busy.

The booking team cover all the dealerships in this franchise and are about 50 miles away - oh and you've guessed it I can't call direct and they have no idea when they can call me - other than some time today. How is this customer service? Do BMW insist on this treat 'them like sh1t' approach when they grant franchises or do us non facebook; none app wielding analogue customers with silver hair and disposable income not fit the corporate company pays (regardless) BMW profile. I don't even know why I'm surprised. We moved to BMW (Zed and 5 Series) about three years ago and have felt unloved and merely tolerated (even with credit card in hand) ever since compared to the Ford dealership who knew us by name; didn't do coffee but would fit the parts I bought cheaper than they could and who we'd been with for thirty years - someone remind me why I bought BMW because it wasn't to be treated like this :thumbsdown:

My local Indie on the other hand :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:33 am

I'm guessing then that you initially tried Coopers, then Listers in Kings Lynn?
I have to say neither have given me any issues, but I bought my 3-series from Listers so I'm automatically on their 'list'. Which is handy as they prompt me when I forget!
Just went to Coopers for the Z MOT and again, no issues, but then that was a simple request.
I'll reserve judgement........

However, the Z's 5 year maintenance package ends this month, so I'll be looking for a decent indie. Who do you use?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:44 am

Coopers booking team rang me when the 5 series said it needed an oil service - how much I ask and they quote. Take the car in and the oil service also includes a number of filters so an additional £400 not quoted at time of booking! Just had them change the oil and oil filter (in spite of the fact they have to remove the air filter to get at the oil filter) to get rid of the warning light and then went to an indie. That was the last visit particularly because Coopers couldn't understand what was the problem with how they qouted. Add in car not ready when they had it all day. Washed in the dark so one wipe over each panel like a three year old did it.

Had the other work done by Warnes in Bury they have access to the online BMW service history so all recorded.

Tried Lancaster in Bury this morning - I'm so not corporate BMW :lol:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:51 am

Lancaster used to be Carrs. Vall got her first 220d convertible from there.
Never had any problems with them to be honest.
But she did teach the Sales Manager's kids to swim, so we had an 'in'. :wink:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

NSM

Post by NSM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 pm

This is what can happen if you are not fortunate enough to have your vehicle recalled
IMG_20190505_111545486 (3).jpg
IMG_20190505_111545486 (3).jpg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
IMG_20190505_111545486 (3).jpg
IMG_20190505_111545486 (3).jpg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
Then you will find out exactly how BMW will find a way out of taking any responsibility.

Find an independent who will listen to what you want.
Attachments
IMG_20190505_113428514-1.jpg
IMG_20190505_113428514-1.jpg (310.63 KiB) Viewed 2769 times

NSM

Post by NSM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Sorry forgot to say that I have experience of both Coopers in Norwich and Lancaster's in Bury St Eds and they are 'just' BMW, fine for corporate stuff such as having a company vehicle maintained. They have to charge so much because BMW insist a certain type of premises, kit and fixtures. I would not go to either. I use an independent in Stanton Suffolk called Halls - good all-rounders and very helpful.

As you are local, pictures taken just off A47, the North Burlingham slip round road that I was fortunate enough to be able to cruise into whilst on fire.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:40 pm

NSM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 pm I use an independent in Stanton Suffolk called Halls - good all-rounders and very helpful.
Thanks for that. I commute from Attleborough to Stowmarket every day, so Stanton may be a good place for me to look at.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm

NSM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 pm Sorry forgot to say that I have experience of both Coopers in Norwich and Lancaster's in Bury St Eds and they are 'just' BMW, fine for corporate stuff such as having a company vehicle maintained. They have to charge so much because BMW insist a certain type of premises, kit and fixtures. I would not go to either. I use an independent in Stanton Suffolk called Halls - good all-rounders and very helpful.

As you are local, pictures taken just off A47, the North Burlingham slip round road that I was fortunate enough to be able to cruise into whilst on fire.
Oh not good! - I don't mind the recall and understand it has to go to a BMW approved garage - its been checked twice already and passed as OK so it didn't sit on the show ground with all those that failed. I think that BMW now have enough sensors to change them out and a gradually recalling all the cars which might be affected. I just feel like the main dealers are taking the piss and don't want to build any relationship with their customers other than accepting a blank cheque every time you walk through the doors.

If only the workshops were as good as the sales staff. Its not the costs I particularly object to its the way they train the reception staff to deal with you.

NSM

Post by NSM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:55 pm

We did not get a recall notice and BMW have gone silent on the whys and wherefores. Their opening lines were that we would not be out of pocket but our insurers did such a fantastic job settling the claim - fire on a Sunday, Bank holiday Monday, agreed settlement on Tuesday, Money in account Wednesday and the breakers scrapped the car immediately thus BMW had no chance to inspect the vehicle which allowed them an escape route.

Since May we have been telling everyone that we know with a BMW that could be effected to get in contact with a dealer.

Agree that mainstream car dealers are useless, I have endless stories of p*ss poor service VW/Audi, Honda (proudly vandalising a car) so not just BMW.

Best dealer customer service ever was when I ran a 911 and at the time very reasonable, I let them have the car for a week so they could work on it around other booked vehicles - the spanner actually telephoned after to go through the services. Kerridges TVR where brill back in the day.

The receptionists must go through the same training as doctors surgeries!!

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Ours had its first check in March - so a few months before your 'problem' - we would have got the recall notice in late Jan early Feb but had to wait to get it into the dealers. BMW couldn't get replacement sensors but as ours tested OK we were told to keep using it and it was rechecked in summer. By this time loads of cars had failed the sensor check and BMW would not replace them - in fact they ran out of loaner cars and storage for customer cars.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Coopers in Chelmsford were hopeless, made a pigs ear of fixing an engine fault on our mini clubman & lost the service book for my z4 after it went in for an inspection (later found in their bin after i refused to leave without it!)
Muppets everywhere :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 am

Not completely relevant but have had the same issue with calling Barons in Farnborough. Two promises of a call back, then nothing. Called for the third time and told they’re all busy and to call back in an hour.

No. I am the customer, I shouldn’t have to chase you. Barons are particularly bad at this and you are honoured if anyone shows you any interest. Unfortunately our local dealerships aren’t great either.

BMW Cotswolds - Hereford on the other hand were fantastic. I wish we were close to them as I’d use them religiously.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:17 am

Stephen James in Enfield, less than impressed.

Bought our x3 from them and no problems whilst it was under their "service" package other than break pads which were identified during the service as so worn on both axles as to be "dangerous" (according to the technician on the video clip) and would be 500 per axle unless they'd scored the disks which would then be "expensive" - stupidly I'd told them when I booked it in that I was driving to Devon in a couple of days. I knew the pads were OK so told them that I was going to my Indy where I took my other cars - cue their warnings of how dangerous it was etc.

Got to the Indy and he got "the lad" to check them, and his opinion was "nothing wrong" so told the owner what I'd been told and when he'd finished on the ramp put the X3 on there and said that there was loads of wear left - asked him to book in for both sets of pads to be done when I got back, and he was reluctant as he didn't want to do work that wasn't necessary, but eventually agreed - both sets swapped out for Brembos for 280 all in and the old pads bagged up to go to the dealer.

Booked an appointment to speak to the manager and then had a warning light come on - phoned dealer and was told these come on when the brake fluid needs changing (despite having been in for a service two weeks earlier) booked it in under their "service plan" and was told that they rely on the warning lights! When I asked how the system monitors the quality of the brake fluid, got told that it really means that it is due an Mot (like I'm going to trust them for that)!

Took car to the Indy had it checked out and then properly serviced (they hadn't even changed the fuel filters).

Had a minor scrape at the bottom of the door took it in for a "smart quote" from them didn't even get a call back despite leaving a good 5/6 messages with reception for the body shop, last message was back to the general manager expressing my dissatisfaction and got called by the body shop the next day (the day after I'd got it sorted by an independent body shop)

Suffice to say they're not going near the zed