Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Walkers Autotech, Wisborough Green, West Sussex

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I had a strange knocking noise coming from behind the bulkhead. Unsurprisingly I couldn't see what it was, so off to Walkers Autotech this morning.

They fixed it. Turned out that the technician had encountered the same symptoms before. He loosened the diagonal strut braces, which appparently weren't loose, and then torqued them back up. Problem solved. I happily paid the £42 inc. VAT they charged. Worth it for the peace of mind.

The bad news is that their "Visual Health Check" revealed that I have corroded brake pipes and the hoses are perishing. Also the heat shields on the centre cats are loose and rattling. Also I have a broken exhaust clamp. I'm awaiting their quote to sort those things out. Will get an oil change done at the same time.

Not really so bad given that the only money I have spent in 4 years of ownership, now with 113k miles on the clock, has been servicing, roof motor relocation and tyres.

The guys at Walkers Autotech always seem knowledgable and their prices are, I think, good. They charge £70 an hour excl. VAT for labour. Most importantly I trust them and that trust has been earned.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 am

Good to see a positive review :)

Will you go for braided brake lines? Sounds like a good opportunity to invest in a little upgrade to me
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 am

Re the braided brake lines, I don't really feel knowledgeable to make an informed decision, but on the basis that braided are better then that's almost certainly the way to go. I cannot imagine that the incremental cost of braided will make a life-changing difference to the final invoice.

I should have mentioned that I also asked them to quote to replace the bearing shells. I am not aware of any problems with mine, but it would be big peace of mind (and a big invoice!) to get them done.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 am

RickRob wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 am Re the braided brake lines, I don't really feel knowledgeable to make an informed decision, but on the basis that braided are better then that's almost certainly the way to go. I cannot imagine that the incremental cost of braided will make a life-changing difference to the final invoice.

I should have mentioned that I also asked them to quote to replace the bearing shells. I am not aware of any problems with mine, but it would be big peace of mind (and a big invoice!) to get them done.
After a month of braided line ownership I have not noticed any difference between these and stock.

I think the type of fluid being used is more important than the actual lines themselves, (despite the science behind it).
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI