Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lake District Tour Recommendations

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Z4 Coupe

Lake District Tour Recommendations

Post by Z4 Coupe » Fri May 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I’m off to tour the Lake District in the summer and I’m looking for some recommendations on good driving roads and things to see and do.

Also what is the best town to stay in with a good mix of restaurants and pubs?

MartynF

Re: Lake District Tour Recommendations

Post by MartynF » Fri May 23, 2014 12:59 pm

I like Hardknott pass, but can get busy best go early morning; its very steep so be careful with the clutch.

To stay that depends on how touristy you like it? I rent a cottage by Lake Windermere and walk into Windermere town which has plenty of places to eat etc. Quieter places which are good still with pubs etc I would recommend Hawkshead, but there are many more which are just as good, these are just from my experience.
2007 Z4M Roadster in blue
2014 M135i
2006 Landrover Discovery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/railphoto/12419676255/

Z4 Coupe

Post by Z4 Coupe » Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Hardknott pass looks mental! You would not want to mess up driving up or even worse down that! It's definitely on the to do list.

I'll have a look at Windermere and Hawkshead, thank you.

MartynF

Post by MartynF » Fri May 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Z4 Coupe wrote:Hardknott pass looks mental! You would not want to mess up driving up or even worse down that! It's definitely on the to do list.

I'll have a look at Windermere and Hawkshead, thank you.
A lot come to grief on that road, (gave a paramedic crew from a helecopter a lift to the top to see to a motorcycle accident) did it in in my Landrover Disco using low range; piece of piss! Z4 would be OK as long as one did not need to cook the clutch going up and was able to keep momentum, also could not fit a paramedic team in with all their kit!
2007 Z4M Roadster in blue
2014 M135i
2006 Landrover Discovery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/railphoto/12419676255/

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Fri May 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Don't bother, quite possibly the most over rated place in the UK. Keep going north and drive another 200 miles north! :P :P

I've been to the Lake District a few times now and always been disappointed, far too crowded in what is actually a very small area itself. Dodgy dressed people just following each other up the hills like sheep, OAP's out for day trips, caravans, terrible road surface.......
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri May 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Make sure you take in the road down the East side of Coniston Water, one evening. High water Head to Spark Bridge. Fantastic bimble with the sun glisning accross the lake. 8) :driving:

Last time we headed up that way was in 2011, for the National meet. We stayed in Brigsteer, at the Wheatsheaf Inn. Very pleasant family run.

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 am

gwatson wrote: I've been to the Lake District a few times now and always been disappointed, far too crowded in what is actually a very small area itself. Dodgy dressed people just following each other up the hills like sheep, OAP's out for day trips, caravans, terrible road surface.......
You need to get to the National Meet......that'll change your mind about The Lakes. :D
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving: