Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exploring the Evo Triangle in the Z4C + supercars on track

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
James Junior

Exploring the Evo Triangle in the Z4C + supercars on track

Post by James Junior » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Had a great weekend just gone driving the Z4 coupe hard across some cracking roads in Mid and North Wales and driving some supercars at the Trac Mon racetrack in Anglesey, so thought I would share the experience in case anyone is interested or considering anything similar.

On Saturday we drove down to Betwys y Coed in Mid Wales and had a blast around some of the roads there, before heading over to the fabled Evo Triangle, a journey I have been meaning to do for ages.

For the unacquainted, the Evo Triangle is a stretch of road in Mid Wales where Evo magazine do a lot of their group tests. They used to keep its location a secret, but have become much more open about their filming and testing areas in recent years.

The triangle itself is actually a relatively short drive – it only takes around 20 mins to do a ‘lap’. It is an absolutely glorious piece of tarmac and you only have to drive it for a few minutes to appreciate why Evo love it so much (and why they were reluctant at first to reveal its location!). The road is smoothly surfaced and well sighted, with a variety of technical twists, turns and switchbacks, interconnected with long straights and being quite remote there is little traffic to contend with. Those cars that you do encounter can swiftly be despatched due to the great visibility in most places. The scenery is also pretty amazing; roads lined with pine forests, rolling hills and the broad expanse of Llyn Brenig at the northern tip of the triangular route. Not that you get much time to appreciate it from behind the wheel, as these roads tend to demand your full attention!

As an added bonus on the day the Ferrari owners club appeared to be in attendance, as I passed a California and a procession of half a dozen 458 Italia’s going the other way. No pictures sadly however as you can imagine we passed by each other rather quickly!

Shortly after arriving I pulled over by Llyn Brenig and did something I have been meaning to do for ages – I refitted the piece of foam to the sound generator. God what an improvement! I hadn’t fully realised just how much the resonance in the cabin at 4k – 6k revs had been doing my head in. With the car sounding smoother and sweeter from the inside at full chat, it was time to get the hammer down and find out how the car would perform on such hallowed ground…

Despite the wet conditions the Zed performed faultlessly and felt totally at ease being hustled along at a fair old lick. It was the first proper drive I have had of the car since the addition of the Bilstein B8s and it is now simply sublime in enthusiastic driving. On good roads driven with gusto, the car is beautifully damped without being crashy and body roll is almost non-existent, allowing you to press on with confidence and carry plenty of speed though the bends, getting back on the throttle early. In truth although I was cracking a fair old pace, it felt like the car had much more to give before it was even close to the limit, though with a rather worn rear tyre and a lot of standing water on the road I was keen to exercise some restraint.

Mine is an auto and in sport mode with the steering weighted up and the paddles in full manual, it remains the most interactive and rewarding road car I have ever had the pleasure of owning. The car feels light and nimble, whilst the engine spins sweetly as you surge along, with enough torque to allow quick progress without having to wring out every last rpm, but not overly powered to the point that you have to battle with the car. It would be a committed or clumsy driver indeed who gives cause for the traction control to regularly kick in – mine never once lit up during my laps in spite of the rain and the pace I was setting.

When I bought the 3.0 Si some people said I would forever be disappointed that I didn’t go for the ‘M’, but never once have I felt that way. This car is the perfect combination of power, practicality and economy for a daily driver, happy to play the role of daily hack in full auto mode, whilst behaving like a finely honed sports car out on the open mode in sport mode with the paddles in use. You always know you are driving a great car when you get to the end of a long drive and are disappointed that you have to get out!

That night we headed up to Anglesey to stay at the Spa Hotel before making an early start the next day to the Anglesey Race Circuit ‘Trac Mon’ for a driving day Kirstie had booked for my birthday. I was buzzing with excitement, but by the time we arrived the weather was about as bad as you could imagine and my excitement was rapidly being replaced with trepidation! Gale force winds nearly knocked us over as we got out of the car and pouring rain washing over the track and surrounding areas in great sheets, utterly soaking us before we had even reached the briefing room.

Fortunately we were given a few passenger laps with an instructor in a Toyota Avensis to get a feel for the track, which was the ‘Club Circuit’ on the day. The track was very well surfaced and grippy even in these conditions fortunately and there were cones out to mark the braking and apex points of the bends. The rain began to ease a but and it was soon time to helmet-up and head over to the garages where the cars were waiting. Four cars were available – an R8, Vantage, Gallardo and F430. I had chosen the latter two as they were in my mind the most special of the four.

I was in the Gallardo for my first session. Sinking into the cockpit everything felt very chunky and high quality, with the odd exception of the long thin gear selectors protruding awkwardly from the steering column which felt at odds with everything else. The cockpit felt quite claustrophobic and the seating position felt a touch higher than I would have liked even at its lowest point.

Pulling out onto the track the car felt immediately reassuring in these conditions given its 4WD and encouraged liberal use of the throttle out of the corners and down the straights. The V10 thrummed and rumbled in suitably dramatic fashion as the revs climbed, whilst the gear change was surprisingly ponderous, each new cog taking a moment to ‘thunk’ into place in an industrial feeling manner. Despite feeling undeniably special, overall the Gallardo felt heavy and uninvolving to me; a blunt instrument without finesse. Soon my laps were done and I pulled into the pits to switch over into the F430.

What a contrast! The F430’s cabin immediately felt airy and spacious with much better visibility, but also much more stripped out and raw compared with the plush plumpness of the Gallardos interior. The seat adjusted – manually – and I was forced to sit low, really low, which suited me fine! Once on the move, the F430 was a completely different proposition. Whereas the Gallardo felt heavy and cumbersome, the Ferrari felt wonderfully agile and responsive to both throttle and steering inputs. The MR layout encouraged greater respect in the corners and in these conditions I was conscious to feed the throttle gradually on exit as I unwound the steering, but the impressive grip levels even in the rain rapidly discouraged initial reservations and I quickly began powering down the straights with increased confidence, the raucous bellowing of the V8 just behind my head. I was soon all over the Vantage that had gone out before me and found myself being held up for a lap, so the instructor gave me the nod and I was able to take a tighter line though one of the sharper bends and overtake down the main straight which felt very satisfying, if a little inevitable given the power advantage I had.

Soon I had to pull back in again and it was all over, but what a buzz! Two very different cars and a great experience to be able to sample both on track. In the real world I can imagine the Gallardo appealing to the more image conscious buyer – it has far more visual tension and looks much better resolved in the flesh compared to the Ferrari, which can look a little gawky and awkward over the rear wheel arch from certain angles. However, I just cannot imagine any true driving enthusiast driving both back to back and choosing the Gallardo. In terms of handling and interaction the Ferrari is simply in a different league. An incredibly well-honed driving machine with performance depths that would take years to explore and master.

What was most surprising however, was that sinking back into the little Zed after driving these two exotic machines really did not feel disappointing. As I barrelled along the deserted roads of Anglesey on my way home, I was once again having a blast and marvelling at the little cars agility, poise and pace as it happily flowed down the twists and turns of some cracking Welsh B roads. These cars really are hugely talented and an absolute performance bargain – nothing else at this price point comes close in my opinion. There is nothing else I would fancy changing it for that doesn't cost at least three times what the Zed is worth.

I had a fantastic weekend and I would heartily recommend to all of you that you give some of these roads in Mid Wales a try soon. The Evo Triangle and surrounding roads are well worth the journey and I have no doubt there are loads more hidden gems in the local area that could be stumbled upon and enjoyed.

Meanwhile if you are considering booking a supercar driving experience, the one at Anglesey was superbly organised with friendly staff and enthusiastic instructors who really encouraged you to enjoy the cars during your time on track.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the write up!

Eibachs|Bilstein B8s|Powerflex front bushes|M Sport seat upgrade|Stubby|Debadged|19" CSL reps|Toyo Proxes

Luck is the residue of opportunity and design...

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Exploring the Evo Triangle in the Z4C + supercars on tra

Post by StevenH72 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Sounds like a great weekend James. I've been meaning to make the drive over to the EVO Triangle (maybe take the missus for a nearby spa day to sweeten the deal).

From my test drives I completely agree though. 3.0si Sport for a daily driver over the ///M :thumbsup:
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

ga41

Post by ga41 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:31 pm

A great read! Thank you for posting this. Sounds like an amazing experience :thumbsup:
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

csl1973

Post by csl1973 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:32 pm

im doing a run around wales in june with a few mates. we will be doing the evo triangle and some other routes too. did this for the last two year's and its such a nice run out especially if its a nice day.

GP06Roadster

Post by GP06Roadster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Fantastic write up and photos James, I have to do that trip!
E86 3.0si Manual

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Great write up JJ.

Last time I was on the triangle (few months ago) there was a strong attendance by the plod so be careful folks.

Sae

Post by Sae » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice , and great pics
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

chrisba

Post by chrisba » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Carol M wrote:Great write up JJ.

Last time I was on the triangle (few months ago) there was a strong attendance by the plod so be careful folks.
As James has mentioned above, since the mags started disclosing the areas and especially the "EVO Triangle" the police have shown a strong interest too.

I wouldn't recommed any serious speeds around there especially in the summer!
Add your name to the "Welsh Members" thread here
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59289

James Junior

Post by James Junior » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks for your interest. :)

Interesting point to note about the traffic cops! Never even considered to keep an eye out for the long arm of the law...

Hoping to go back in a few weeks with a few mates so will be mindful of this.

Eibachs|Bilstein B8s|Powerflex front bushes|M Sport seat upgrade|Stubby|Debadged|19" CSL reps|Toyo Proxes

Luck is the residue of opportunity and design...

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Nice write-up James 8)
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Sounds really good fun.

If mine was a daily I'd have probably gone for the 3.0si

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

xedbot

Post by xedbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Enjoyed reading this, good write up.

I do some climbing/scrambling once or twice a year on and around Tryfan so will have to incorporate this into the next visit, didn't realise it was so close!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Realy enjoyed reading that. :thumbsup:

y3putt

Post by y3putt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Great write up...enjoyed reading it.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0si...debadged..lowered..re- mapped..custom zorst..stubby..

..When the Sun's out...the roof's down...

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Great read - thanks for posting!

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.