Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trip to Lakes next weekend

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Andydub

Trip to Lakes next weekend

Post by Andydub » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 am

First outing of the year next weekend to the Lakes, hope the weather is better than this weekend! Any suggestions for a nice days drive out from Windermere? Anybody stayed at The Cranleigh Boutique Hotel, seems to get very good reviews?

Dave1971

Re: Trip to Lakes next weekend

Post by Dave1971 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 am

I really would think twice or do some very good research, friends have posted pictures on facebook taken today where you can only just see the roofs of cars also friends of my folks have had thier holiday cancled by the hotel as they are not able to provide any heating, lights , hotwater or cooked food.

I'm not trying to put a dampner on things for you but I'd hate for your weekend away to go tits up.
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 am

I would make sure its ok first. 15-16ft snow drifts atm. Be lucky to get to any of the good roads. Kirkstons been shut for a few days.

Weve had power cuts, most of the roads around Ullswater have 5 ft of snow on them! I would say as Windermere is just over the pass its similar there too.

I managed to get round the west side of Ullswater today which was a bit stupid but I wanted to get some good pics. The drifts were taller than my Mini, like driving through a passage made of snow couldn't see anything, loads of cars abandoned, gritters stuck its a nightmare.

My friend who owns Parkfoot Caravan Park on the east side of ullswater posted these pics today of the road... this is a main road that takes you to the Ullswater marina... insane!

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:52 am

But if you do risk it... You can look forward to this..

Took this today at Aira Force Waterfall on the West side of Ullswater

Aira Force Waterfall Ullswater, Cumbria by TomScottPhotographyCumbria, on Flickr