Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

European road trip

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
BigT

Re: European road trip

Post by BigT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Lyon to Monaco must be done via the Route Napoleon for maximum enjoyment, and pop up to the Col du Turini while in that neck of the woods.

Is the main thrust of the road trip the evenings in the destination or the driving? If the latter you'll find as others have said that you'll only achieve your timings with a lot of motorway miles and that's no fun.

courty

Post by courty » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:02 pm

For the wife it's each destination for me the driving
Living the dream 

tonester

Post by tonester » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:01 pm

get down to Clemont Ferrend and just start coin tossing at juctions.....heads for left tails for right....its all good
enjoy...

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Check out the road trip report from jaxZ4 in the road trip section - some of the roads on there look pretty good, worth a read, but make a coffee first as it could take a while to read right through :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I would resist trying to see the world on one road trip. You will regret it. As people will ask you what you did and what you saw along the way. At which point you will show your friends a checklist with towns you passed through. One thing you can do. Would be to pick a destination that has some good opportunities for day trips.

My wife and I have suffered through some trips that have been so busy. That we really didn't see much. As we were to tight on time to enjoy what the area had to offer. We live an hour south of Frankfurt. From there we can get to Strasbourg and the route du vin de alsace, Luxembourg, Stuttgart, Koln & Koblenz, Nurburgring. All of those are within 1.5-3 hrs.

You could go to Grindelwald Switzerland rent a chalet and make some great day trips. The one we rented there was only 100 CHF per day. And it had a kitchen. Which saved us big money by not having to go out for breakfast, and then packing a lunch. Then eating out for dinner.

As always. If you (or any forum member) find yourself driving near the Kaiserslautern area. Let me know. There are a couple of castles near here that have pubs/restaurants in them. Or I'll BBQ some bratwurst.
"Car Lovers drive Lotus Elises or Zeds, Psychopaths drive Se7ens."