Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scotland's Finest Roads

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Scotland's Finest Roads

Post by Adamski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Took a 220 mile roadtrip on Tuesday. Had the route planned well in advance, and despite the weather, heavy rain, managed to get the roof down for around 100 miles.

There were 3 cars on the roadtrip:
BMW Z4 3.0
E36 BMW M3
Subaru Impreza WRX

All fairly equal in the power and speed department.

The route:
Brechin - Edzel - Fettercairn and over the Cairn O'Mount road - Banchory - Slug Road to Stonehaven - Back Road to Aberdeen.

After that we did the A93 Aberdeen to Blairgowrie road passing through Braemar.

The roads were wet, and it rained hard in some places. I have to say I was mighty impressed with the zed's road holding in the wet. I've never really pushed the zed hard in the wet before, but whilst my car was a pleasure to drive, and looked "planted" through the bends (as my friends put it), both other cars were slipping and sliding all over the place.

I am running Avon ZZ5s, and have to say was very, very impressed.

Anyone who wants a driving route that is guaranteed to please.... take the A93 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Before anyone asks - we kept within the speed limits at all times :wink:

Now for some pics:

Its a shame we didnt get more pics of the road itself, as it's possibly one of the best I've driven.

Will definitely incorporate into a forum meet route next year :)
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

JimmyPop

Re: Scotland's Finest Roads

Post by JimmyPop » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Looking good mate :thumbsup: Nice to hear you got some top down action despite the p****ng rain!

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Yeah, my mate was sitting in the passenger seat in a state of confusion. "We're not getting wet" he said... :lol:

Totally amazing roads, I was initially annoyed with the raods being wet, but to be honest, it made no difference. DTC on the whole way, and she behaved very well. I am now a DTC convert :thumbsup:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 pm

DTC is great isn't it? Although my car doesn't have an audible speed limiter, it does sadly have an audible DTC alert :headbang:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Fantastic - saw roof-down-in-the-wet-dryness proven on Myth Busters recently, and thought "Yeah. I know :D "

Wish I could find Kent's best roads :roll:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Sounds like a good hoon!! :driving:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

That E36, for an older motor doesnt half shift on the straights. It has an LSD which you would think would help in the corners, but in reality he had to back off, as it was too slippy for him.

Shame about the japanese bug eyed monster spoiling the photos :lol: