Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Moselle and Rhine 2008 picture heavy

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
roofless

Moselle and Rhine 2008 picture heavy

Post by roofless » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi, I'll stop hogging this section for a bit after this one; but for those of you who don't know the area or who are thinking of going but not sure here is a brief glimpse at our trip in 2008. Mrs Roofless hadn't been to Germany before and is a bit of a sun worshipper so making somewhere other than Provence appealing was a task.
We drove across Belgium to a little town called Wittlich, not somewhere to visit for any reason but was fairly central for what i wanted to do in Germany. We spent Sunday to Thursday in Germany. I'm afraid or perhaps fortunately for you :) i took lots of pics with our old slr and don't have many taken on the digital camera.

Once in Germany and settled in our accommodation

first thing was a drive northwards along the Moselle to visit Burg Eltz a rather stunning castle

Then to Cochem on the Moselle, one of many picturesque Towns

Trier is an old City with Roman remains south of where we stayed

Where we were staying was the remnants of an old castle (bit of a theme for our trips) the owners arranged for us to visit their favourite vinyard in Piesport and it was grape harvest :)
I never thought i would enjoy German wines but boy oh boy, although some were too sweet for us, we came back with several cases of some seriously fine wines.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't great for our trip but there were a few nice roads

Bacharach on the Rhine, another picturesque town, once you ignore the railway line that flanks the town wall, in fact the railway kind of ruins the west side of the river. but even so a drive along the Rhine is well worth the effort.

More castles than you can shake a stick at

My kind of scenery (Mrs R wouldn't let me load the zed up this time though :( )

A quick jaunt to Luxembourg which despite the roadworks all over was a revelation, a beautiful city,

And for Mr Clarkson, when he finally decides to invade Germany, at least he'll know what speed to drive his tank at :) :driving:

Sorry i don't have better pics. We also visited Koblenz and had a great day there. If you haven't been to Germany, go. The food is wonderful, drink fabulous and i've always found the Germans to be extremely friendly.
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Moselle and Rhine 2008 picture heavy

Post by WLH » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Some great pictures there.... :camera:
Luxembourg is one of my favorite cities in Europe... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

john56

Post by john56 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Nice pics. :thumbsup:
Image Image

2006 3.0Si Sport Auto Coupe. Whip Aerial Club Member.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Nice pics, but where's the car :poke:

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm

srhutch wrote:Nice pics, but where's the car :poke:
It was dirty and i couldn't bear the thought of upsetting Nickm by showing a car that wasn't clean :)
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'