Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bit of help with a 4 day trip to Scotland

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
malibudave

Post by malibudave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I have taken on the responsibility of planning a four day trip for my petrol headed friends into Scotland and if possible I would like some ideas from you chaps(esses). The cars involved (just in case you were interested:

911 turbo (I think he might be the quickest)
Z4 Coupe (me...clearly have the most taste :wink:
Rx8 (mpg..ouch)
Mx5 (Midges!)

The loose plan so far is to leave early Friday morning from the Crewe area and travel round Scotland arriving back Monday night. Staying in B&Bs. We will be doing this in April.

We want to take in some of the best roads (with as little traffic as possible) however we dont want to be driving all of time, so I would like to split the journey up with some key waypoints. Ideally I would also like to spend a night in Edinburgh.

If you could give some suggestions of really good roads and really good touristy things to do, perhaps even nice places to stay, I would really appreciate it.

Ta Dave.
3.0Si Coupe in Blue with 19" BBS Reps +Stubby

Zed Five

Re: Bit of help with a 4 day trip to Scotland

Post by Zed Five » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 pm

A stay in the Clachaig Inn - Glencoe. - Great (pub) food/setting/whiskies
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 pm

I use the Dean Park Hotel in Kircaldy, just above the Forth Road Bridge :thumbsup:

Their is a lovely road off the M74, think it's the A70? The local guys know the one I'm on about, mini Nurburgring, goes from the M74 to the FRB, fabulous!!!!

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:29 pm

A68 would be a good route but too many speed cameras (22 at last count) :headbang:

How far north will you be coming? There are some great roads up near Blairgowrie, Glenshee, good route through the hills past Fettercairn etc with plenty viewpoints and stops :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Darren Slone wrote:I use the Dean Park Hotel in Kircaldy, just above the Forth Road Bridge :thumbsup:

Their is a lovely road off the M74, think it's the A70? The local guys know the one I'm on about, mini Nurburgring, goes from the M74 to the FRB, fabulous!!!!
The A70 is a great road, wish I had more excuses to leave the motorway on my way home when I get up that way :thumbsup:

You could also leave the M74 at Moffat onto the A701, then head onto the A721 and pick up the A70 at Carnwath. Straight up to the Edinburgh bypass, hang a left, over the Forth Bridge and stopped for beer in the evening. Bit of a roundabout route, and I've not been down the roads for years, but some great borders scenery and twisty roads :D

I'm sure the 'local' boys will pick me up if I've recommended a dog...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

malibudave

Post by malibudave » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm

I would like to take in the Isle of Skye if possible and I think that we will also take in Loch Ness. Not sure whether to go further north. What do you think?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 pm

IMO the roads get better and better the further north you go (unfortunately). An idea might be to blast up the M74 as far as Glasgow purely to get quicker access to the best roads. From there, over the Erskine Bridge on the M8 to Balloch, A82 up the side of Loch Lomond then continue on it through Glen Coe to Fort William. From Fort William take the road to Mallaig (f**king epic!) and the ferry onto Skye. Quick tour around Skye - all roads are OK but the scenery is epic - then back over the Bridge onto the mainland. Once back on mainland, head north via Lochcarron and take the Belach Na Ba pass over to Applecross. Continue north around the coast to Sheildaig. And if that's not far enough then keep heading north to Ullapool and beyond.

On the way back the road from Spean Bridge (on the A82 just north of Fort William) that heads east to Dalwhinnie, the A86 I think, is a favourite too. That leads to the A9 which is a drag, but some forum users on here (Malcz4) should be able to give you a route that avoids the tedium.

I love this trip planning :)
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

malibudave

Post by malibudave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for the tips gents!

Hows about things to actually visit that can work as waypoints, i.e. castles, distilleries or other interesting places. :driving:

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Commando memorial at speak bridge
Distillery on Skye. Name??
Glenfinnan memorial
Fort Augustus - canal locks

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Spean bridge. Damn predictive text!

Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:54 am

a11y wrote:IMO the roads get better and better the further north you go (unfortunately). An idea might be to blast up the M74 as far as Glasgow purely to get quicker access to the best roads. From there, over the Erskine Bridge on the M8 to Balloch, A82 up the side of Loch Lomond then continue on it through Glen Coe to Fort William. From Fort William take the road to Mallaig (f**king epic!) and the ferry onto Skye. Quick tour around Skye - all roads are OK but the scenery is epic - then back over the Bridge onto the mainland. Once back on mainland, head north via Lochcarron and take the Belach Na Ba pass over to Applecross. Continue north around the coast to Sheildaig. And if that's not far enough then keep heading north to Ullapool and beyond.

On the way back the road from Spean Bridge (on the A82 just north of Fort William) that heads east to Dalwhinnie, the A86 I think, is a favourite too. That leads to the A9 which is a drag, but some forum users on here (Malcz4) should be able to give you a route that avoids the tedium.

I love this trip planning :)
I would defo take a11y's advice on this one, I do 2 or 3 trips a year up there on the bike and can confirm these roads are great you will not be dissapionted :thumbsup: .
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

malibudave

Post by malibudave » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Right then, the trip has changed slightly so I am now heading up there with SWMBO. So plan is:

Easter Sunday steam up to Glencoe staying at the Clachaig inn that someone recommended and stop there for two nights. Reckon on the Monday we might go to Oban and check out the distillery there.

Tuesday it's off up to Inverness via loch ness and although it's slightly out of the way the castle at Dornie. Not too sure what there is to see at Inverness so any tips welcome.

On Wednesday after doing whatever in Inverness we are off to Balmoral.

Thursday we haven't booked anywhere, we were thinking of going to Stirling, but I would be grateful for any other ideas as I have heard mixed things about it.

Friday we head to Edinburgh where we are staying in the Edinburgh residence for three nights courtesy of the parents.

Can't wait to head off, just wish the weather had held out for a little bit longer. There seems to be a few Zs up in Scotland so if you see a blue coupe hairing along with the passenger looking a bit green give us a flash!

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 pm

when you go to Balmoral I would stop off at the Distillery next door Royal Lochnagar ... worth a visit

Rather than stirling I would opt for Perthshire somewhere around Dunkeld/Loch Tay that way you can head down through Glenshee ... pretty good road.

Or Another option which is not to far from edinburgh and drivable in an afternoon from Balmoral is St Andrews.. you don't need to be a golfer to enjoy it.
Last edited by ZermattV on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Geeman

Post by Geeman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:22 am

Last edited by Geeman on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 am

I see you and everyone else is ignoring Scotland's forgotten corner :poke:
Check out the recent Moffat meet thread, think it's fair to say everyone loved the route, roads and lack of traffic.
Beyond that got to agree with Ally, Skye is a must and as for the A86 I'm still looking for excuse to go back up there. We went from Islay last year upto Inverness along the side of Loch Ness and to be honest you are heading into prime Tourist country and all the she'd dragging morons that brings. At the end of the day it all depends how much time you want to spend behind the wheel and how much time sightseeing.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby