Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Achtung - Road Trip Baby! Any advice?

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Marco

Achtung - Road Trip Baby! Any advice?

Post by Marco » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Taking a long weekend, getting the Ferry from Dover to Dunkirk on Saturday, then heading to Bruges (Belgium). Spending the day and night there (to explore) and then on Sunday heading to Frankfurt. And coming all the way back from Frankfurt on Wednesday.

Any tips or ideas are welcome on roads or routes to take, places to stay in Bruges, things to do and in fact anything to do with driving over on the "mainland" as it's my maiden voyage! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to unleash the Zed on it's first Road Trip! :driving:

Lance

Re: Achtung - Road Trip Baby! Any advice?

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Luxumbourg is worth considering, perhaps Bastogne, cleveraux then gerolstein to pick up the Mosel at Cochem and onto Boppard following the Mosel. Gerolstein is close to the Nurburgring, which is in the rather nice Eifel mountains.
As for driving abroad, it's amazing how quick it becomes natural to drive on the other side of the road, just remind your self where you are when rejoining the road when exiting petrol stations, car parks etc, it's easy to forget the right side at these times.

Enjoy!

roofless

Post by roofless » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Lance wrote:Luxumbourg is worth considering, to pick up the Mosel at Cochem and onto Boppard following the Mosel. Enjoy!
The Moselle is lovely, if you're into Castles and have time visit Burg Eltz
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Boogle

Post by Boogle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Lance wrote:As for driving abroad, it's amazing how quick it becomes natural to drive on the other side of the road, just remind your self where you are when rejoining the road when exiting petrol stations, car parks etc, it's easy to forget the right side at these times.
On my first trip over I bought a little windscreen sticker (actually just a pit of plastic, no adhesive) that reminded you which side to drive on and how to take roundabouts. It's reversible for when you get back to the UK. Found it extremely useful because it's in the windscreen you have a constant reminder - but it's out of the way enough to not be intrusive.

Edit found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driveright-Safe ... 400&sr=8-3
I bought it on the ferry, haven't seen it in any shops though :(
Z4 '06 3.0si Sport Silver Grey, Cruise, Aux-Input, Dension, ZHP
Prev: Z4 '57 2.0 Sport Stratus Grey
Soft Top Care Guide

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm

If you have a passenger, give them the responsibility of saying "Drive on the Right" at turns and exits. They shoud be quite happy do this as they will be facing the oncomming traffic without a steering wheel!

You will get sick of hearing it but if it saves a silly mistake!!!!!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: