Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Breakdown Cover (including Europe)

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
Marco

Breakdown Cover (including Europe)

Post by Marco » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi, I'm pretty new on this forum but have gained so much from it so far - amazing pool of knowledge!

Had my 2003 2.5 Z4 for about a month now and itching for a long ride. I'm considering taking it across to Europe and sense is telling me to get some breakdown cover just in case. No known problems, drives like a dream at the moment (loving it) and has done about 58000miles. I've looked around and seen the Chris Knotts breakdown cover through this site - just wanting to know if anyone has used it and what your experiences are?

I'm also considering purchasing an extended warranty, but I guess that's a topic for another Post (although the BMW warranty includes European break down cover too) so I guess I would want to know what peoples experiences are with that one too (if any).

Thanks.....
Marco

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Breakdown Cover (including Europe)

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:33 pm

£67 for a year from Green Flag.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks mate. Have you actually had to use them though, and if so, what was your experience?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Not used them, like you, just an insurance measure.

I did swap cars on the policy which was good, so when I took the X5, I put that on the policy, and when the M, I put that on.

They were not that happy with the swapping though, but did it nontheless.

Also note it covers you in the UK as well as part of that policy, including home help etc.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

teamemmenracing

Post by teamemmenracing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:37 pm

AA does an overseas thing which I had once ...... but beware...... its an insurance policy

ie, you have to pay first then claim back when you get home.

And in France - the autoroutes are privately owned (or something like that) and no breakdown service is allowed to operate on them but their own ... so you have to pay first anyway.

I always (like to) travel in europe with either a wad of cash or a credit card that isn't already maxxed out :D
"........it seemed like a good idea at the time yer honour ......"

BMW Z4 - A Big Red One

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 pm

teamemmenracing wrote: And in France - the autoroutes are privately owned (or something like that) and no breakdown service is allowed to operate on them but their own ... so you have to pay first anyway.

didn't know that

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 pm

The Green Flag blurb states they assist in France as well so I assume they have an arrangement then.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

roofless

Post by roofless » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Years ago a mate had his MG break down (no surprise there) just outside Munich. AA were excellent, recovered car (reciprocal arrangement i believe) and he had a loan car to return home in. Don't know how it works now as i have been fortunate enough to be covered under BMW warranties over the years.
teamemmenracing wrote: I always (like to) travel in europe with either a wad of cash or a credit card that isn't already maxxed out :D
Sensible advice :thumbsup:

Perhaps a moderator could move this to the Roadtrip section please, i think it would be a useful thread there ? :thumbsup:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm

roofless wrote:
Perhaps a moderator could move this to the Roadtrip section please, i think it would be a useful thread there ? :thumbsup:

if anybody was going to make this request i would have put my money on you :) , but i agree :wink:

Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:48 pm

My apologies chaps, I may have posted this in the incorrect section (still got my L plates on with regards to the Forum)! :?

jonno

Post by jonno » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 pm

According to this generally handy finance advice website, cheapest breakdown cover that includes Europe is currently £53 with Green Insurance:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insura ... ery#europe

As I don't often drive in Europe, my wife's car and mine have both been covered in the UK for £38 total with Auto Aid (see further up same web page). It's another of the pay and reclaim policies, but I'm happy to pay less now and deal with the paperwork if and when I ever need to use them. The forum feedback is nothing short of extraordinary for a website where people normally only go on to complain. (Not like this one, I'm pleased to say :wink:)

2006 Monaco Blue Z4 3.0si SE Roadster

Glyn

Post by Glyn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I was considering using the German breakdown company ADAC. Joining via their German site which includes an English language section. If you breakdown in the UK they have an English language phoneline who arrange the UK AA to deal with the call out.

Google translated:

ADAC Single Plus membership

The ADAC Plus membership is a combination of classic ADAC membership and the benefits of ADAC protection (plus benefits).

Comprehensive protection for people who are frequently on the move: protection on all trips, no matter what transport you use

Security for the whole family

Valid for all vehicles, including company car or borrowed vehicles

Worldwide basis through performance in Germany, Europe and worldwide

ADAC Plus membership:
79,50 € / year
2013 E89 SDrive35is - Melbourne Red
2005 E85 Alpina Roadster S Lux - Japan Red - SOLD

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 pm

This map shows the ones that are privately-owned. The black ones in the Brittany area are the only fully state-owned ones, all of the blue ones (most of the network!) are privately-owned, mostly by the Spanish these days.

I don't know what the arrangements are for breakdown though......but it really doesn't matter unless you have an insurance-backed policy and need to reclaim....

==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 pm

I had ADAC Plus cover for years (with my M5s), and never had a problem in the UK with the AA or whatever other 3rd party was their partner at the time.

However, when I broke down in Germany, they basically told me that I'd either have to let them drop it off at the (closed) BMW garage and make my own way home, at my own cost - or wait until the BMW dealer opened and then call the recovery truck to take it to the (now open) dealership , and then make my own way home, at my own cost. I'd also have to come back to pick it up when it was fixed.

The driver didn't seem to understand the added costs I was going to incur in hiring a car or taking a plan home, and then coming to pick it up again - or of the added hotel costs if I was to stay with it.

Never renewed with them since, and use the (extra cost) BMW Assist one that's part of my warranty payment.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:10 pm

The Green Flag I have seems to go on about covering hotel costs, car rental costs, replacement driver when ill etc etc.

I guess I have to trust them that it is actually true?
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo