Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I do France instead of Scotland?

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
mason storm

Should I do France instead of Scotland?

Post by mason storm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:31 pm

With all the rubbish weather we have had recently, I am starting to worry that my Scottish road trip may end up being too wet. I was hoping to go on Saturday for a week but am starting to wonder if I should do the South of France instead?

Not sure if I can get a ferry last minute to leave this weekend, but would appreciate any thoughts on this and if I do do France what route I should take? Bearing in mind I just did switzerland, Italy and France 6 weeks ago. Last time I did Monaco, Vence, Annecy & Dijon. My journey was on the eastern side of France using Route Napoleon for the bottom half of the journey back. Are ther some nice roads going down the west side to the south of France this time?
2.5se Roadster - First Z
3.0 si Sport Coupe - now sold :cry:

TeePee

Re: Should I do France instead of Scotland?

Post by TeePee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:34 pm

No contest, head for Narbonne via Montpellier. You will not regret it!

roofless

Post by roofless » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:42 pm

You could head down into the Massif Central for a change of scenery, nearly mountains but no Kilts, or what about into Switzerland and do the Grimsel, Furka and Susten. That's a series of roads and not a dance :)
The French side of the Pyrenees can be fun, did some great walking there years ago when i was travelling around in my old MG Midget. (you tend to walk a lot when you have an old MG :) )
Is there somewhere you want to go back to from your earlier trip?

We've done a few week long trips to Provence but find i always want more time there. St Tropez is a little quieter this time of year, Ramatuelle and around there is lovely or just blatt around Haut Provence towards Route Napoleon.

What's the forecast for Scotland?
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:44 pm

If you had a convertible It would have been a definate yes, but as you have a coupe what's the point :poke:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:46 pm

do it :thumbsup:

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks guys, looking at the forecast to the end of this week it's rain, but some of the 10 day forecasts say there may be sun but not sure I trust long term forecasts they often turn out wrong.

I wil take a look at your suggestions and try and come up with a backup plan and make my decision Thursday. I already did Susten, Grimsel and San Bernadino passes last time but i guess I could do some of the others I missed out on, the only trouble is Switzerland will be more expensive and I only budgeted for Scotland. :(
2.5se Roadster - First Z

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Its still August and the traffic will be shite - I'd give it a miss if it were me.

Best time for a Pyrennean road trip (and its hugely worth it) is Sept/Oct. Try the West coast route, take in Bordeaux and Les Landes, then the Biarritz-Toulouse autoroute for stunning mountain views to your right, then come off for Lourdes (well worth a visit irrespective of your belief system LOL) and cross the border into Aragon for a little tool around a remote bit of Spain, mountain scenery south of the Pyrenees is amazingly different to the north.

I'd stick with Scotland but check the Met Office 5-day forecast later this week, its usually not too inaccurate......
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:52 pm

stelvio and umbrail pass worth think about

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Taz x wrote:stelvio and umbrail pass worth think about
Forgot to mention i did the Stelvio already this year but found it really busy with traffic, so maybe as lacroupade suggests I will check Scottish forecast and if it turns out bad cancel and wait untill end of September and do a European trip then so I can plan it properly.
2.5se Roadster - First Z

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:09 pm

mason storm wrote:
Taz x wrote:stelvio and umbrail pass worth think about
Forgot to mention i did the Stelvio already this year but found it really busy with traffic, so maybe as lacroupade suggests I will check Scottish forecast and if it turns out bad cancel and wait untill end of September and do a European trip then so I can plan it properly.
Top plan......impulse can be great sometimes but with a tour like that you could miss a lot needlessly.
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 pm

You should offer to buy Siftahs ferry ticket off him and join us all on Islay next weekend, that way Tony 2 coops won't feel the odd one out.
Failing that just cruise round Scotland and enjoy the Haggis, neeps and tatties. Far better than that French stuff :poke:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 am

As someone already said......no contest, France.

Maissif Central, La Bourboule, Oradour Sur Glane, Millau bridge. Personally, I'd head to the Massif and http://eng.cevennes-parcnational.fr/The-Park and spend a few days exploring, before heading home via Oradour

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... -in-europe

Have a look on there for some great routes.

Cheers

mason storm

Post by mason storm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Lance wrote:As someone already said......no contest, France.

Maissif Central, La Bourboule, Oradour Sur Glane, Millau bridge. Personally, I'd head to the Massif and http://eng.cevennes-parcnational.fr/The-Park and spend a few days exploring, before heading home via Oradour

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... -in-europe

Have a look on there for some great routes.

Cheers
Just had a quick look on google maps and this looks interesting but will there be loads of traffic next week?
2.5se Roadster - First Z

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:02 pm

I reckon you'll be okay with the traffic.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Autoroute to nogent sur seine and the Beau Rivage hotel 1st night, good roads to the Massif central the next day, Millau bridge, gorge du tarn etc etc.