Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Worth an overnight stop on the way back - -

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
MalcZ4

Worth an overnight stop on the way back - -

Post by MalcZ4 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 am

On our way back from the south of France we stopped for a night at Dijon.
Famous for the mustard, the town has a fabulous medieval historic centre.

Our second overnight was in Ypres, Belgium, made famous for the First World War battles on the Western Front.
The Cloth Hall and Cathedral.
The Menin Gate Memorial.
Every evening at 8pm the buglers from the local Fire Brigade play "The Last Post"
The "Yorkshire Trench"
The German Cemetery at Vladslo near Ypres. These German cemeteries are very dark sombre places with black slabs and no flowers.
In contrast the British & Allied cemeteries have white stones and flowers - almost a celebration of the lives and sacrifice made by the soldiers.
Last edited by MalcZ4 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Worth an overnight stop on the way back - -

Post by paddy wright » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:56 am

thanks sharing
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:38 pm

nice piccies
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm

i was going to stop there but stopped sooner, looks like i missed a good place

i only saw 1 cemetry, very sad to see, even sader to think people are still being killed in wars

roofless

Post by roofless » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Great pics, Dijon is nice. If anyone spends a few days there then visit the Indoor Market, very traditional. Also try and find a shop selling the traditional macarons, delightful sweet treats.
Great shot from above, :thumbsup: haven't been up there, what a shame - you've made me realise what i've missed.
Ypres looks lovely. I haven't visited any of the cemetaries for many years, necessary reminders but so sad to think of all the wasted lives, and still we haven't learned :?
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'