Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Getting Excited!

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
minifunclub

Getting Excited!

Post by minifunclub » Thu May 26, 2011 6:24 pm

On Saturday we leave for our first Euro trip in the Z4 :driving:

Will be on the 8.00am ferry to Dunkirque and will be staying at the Dorint hotel at the Ring for 2 nights. Hopefully arrive in time to catch the late stages of the vln race on Saturday.
Will be looking to get a lap on the Nordshleiffe and a session on the gp track on Sunday.

On Monday we will drive the 450 miles or so down to Austria via Munchen/Stuttgart and stay in a small hotel we know in the lovely village of Niederau where we can relax and enjoy driving on great roads/scenery.

We will leave Thursday for a large loop over the mighty Grossglockner, over into Italy, maybe take a stop near Cortina will overnight in the tax haven of Vipiteno.
Friday we will drive the Jauffen and Timmelsjoch and if time double back for the Stelvio before heading North to an overnight in the Black Forest.

Z is checked and (almost) loaded up.
Hope to update you all at some stage in the journey. :D

davegt

Re: Getting Excited!

Post by davegt » Fri May 27, 2011 7:15 am

Sounds good :thumbsup:
Daily: 2022 Mercedes GLB mileage muncher
Weekend: 2010 E89 35i, Stubby, Black Grills, Milltek exhaust, DCI, Carplay, BC Coilovers, Black Aluwerk 19" Alloys. (Parts sat collecting dust: IS diffuser, m4 carbon spoiler, FMIC)

roofless

Post by roofless » Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 am

Sounds excellent, look forward to comments and pics, have a great time :thumbsup: :driving:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

minifunclub

Post by minifunclub » Fri May 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks guys....will update with pics in due course.
Speak soon.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 pm

looking forward to the pics, makes me excited for my trip in August, 10 weeks to go

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Fri May 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Definitely a lot more fun than driving across Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico for the 12th time.... :tumbleweed: wish I was with you on it, sounds great :thumbsup:

Pics required :D
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

minifunclub

Post by minifunclub » Fri May 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Couldn't comment on that trip but sounds amazing all the same - better get to bed now, leave for ferry in a few hours.

Keep you posted,
All the best.

minifunclub

Post by minifunclub » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi All............
Arrived back late on Saturday.....currently sorting photo's so watch this space.

Was a great trip with mostly very good weather and still a lot of snow on the higher peaks.
The Z performed faultlessly and returned a very good mpg despite high speeds on the autobahns and enthusistic driving on the passes. Despite being a 2.0 it performed well even on ascents out of the hairpins as long as I kept my foot in so was impressed.
Not so impressed with the twitchy nature of the run flats but once used to them they weren't a problem. Overall the car felt very planted and was especially happy with the handling especially during steep decents round the twisty bits under braking.

Highlights included a lap of the Nordshleife and watching the vln racing from the hotel, Gerlos pass, Krimml Falls, Grossglockner, Jauffen and Timelsjoch passes, stumbling across the lovely Black Forest town of Blaubeuren for an ovrnight before heading home via Hockenheim and Spa being treated to a superbike test and an Italian car track day respectively.

Could have done with a day or two longer..........ho hum, always another time.
pics to follow when I get a minute!
:D