Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK, USA, Europe All Over

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
roofless

UK, USA, Europe All Over

Post by roofless » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 am

I hope people post their trips wherever they have travelled. I am keen to explore more of the UK and some of the pictures i have seen on the forum of Scotland look fabulous, so post your ideas and best drives here too please.
US members, post your trips, i have read some epics here. Although i've travelled a fair bit around the USA i've only had a chance to drive a small section in the rockies and into British Columbia.
The drive from Rio De Janeiro south to Paraty is lovely. Wherever members are in the world give us a flavour of your favourite trips please. :thumbsup: :driving:
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Re: UK, USA, Europe All Over

Post by mcbeee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Where were you ?

I've been from Whitehorse in the north to Nogales in the South (at the mexican border), from the west coast of Vancouver Island as far as Hershey, Pennsylvania (where they make Hershey bars etc). Lots of it is as boring as you can get.....but occasionally there is a gem ... :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

roofless

Post by roofless » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm

I have family living just outside of Tacoma. Took a car from there and drove just a short way into 'them thar mountains'. Stayed at a little ranch and did some riding, resisted the urge to get 'duded up' and then drove up to Vancouver.
Previously spent 3 months travelling round the good old US of A but that was by plane and Greyhound back in 1990. Seeing Mt St Helens 10 years after the blast was quite eerie, still not a lot had grown back. Had great fun wherever we went and really got looked after. I love the states and am desperate to get back, the family are getting older and I am disappointed with myself for dragging my heels over going back. Always seems to be something draining the money.
That was a long way of saying I haven't had a chance to drive much myself but some of the trips we did on the greyhound i'd like to do behind a wheel i'm in control of. The trip from Victoria Island down to San Francisco was a long one but i fancy driving the Oregon coastline down to California someday.
Scariest driving i've done was in Brazil, in Rio they seem to change the direction of the traffic arbitrarily during the day - eek!
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 pm

I go through Tacoma about once a year, there's a little rifle range south west of there at a place called PeEll, the road it's on goes from I-5 over to the coast. it's the best part of the whole 13 hour drive. The match I go to is one of the toughest competitions in the entire country...and the drive makes it worthwhile. :driving:

If you ever get back over this side give us a shout.. :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

roofless

Post by roofless » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks
I've been promising to book the flight the last three years and still not done it but I will definitely keep it in mind.
I loved being around the Seattle area, the Redwoods make our trees here look like matchsticks, every time i'm working with a chainsaw i chuckle at myself and have to have a reality check, real timber work it isn't in the UK. We were about halfway through our trip around the US when we got to Seattle and i could have quite happily settled down there and not gone any further. The Canadian side of the border was lovely.