Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pyrenees road trip advice

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 pm

mr wilks wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:41 pm Once you price the Bilbao / Santander ferry , then factor in the spend whilst on board for 24/30 hrs the channel ferries or tunnel & a drive down through France will appeal a whole lot more :oops:
Its more than doable to leave the Tunnel early morning & be at the border near San Sebastian by early evening , just avoid the central toll route through Paris / Le Mans / Tours (its boring & expensive ) though my choice would be Tunnel & do 6 hours then overnight stay
Ultimately its a roadtrip :driving: better to drive & stay a night , see somewhere than pretend you are on a cruise for a day / day & half itching to get free :oops: .
Take the west coast route down & stay over in La Rochelle , then the Spanish border at San Sebastian is a easy 4-5 hr drive
Cheers for the advice 👍 I’m kind of reconsidering already on the ferry, if only because of the sailings times and days... could be better routes as you say. Will post some updates of our plan as it progresses 😁
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:18 pm

It’s been about 15 years since I’ve done the UK to Spain ferry, and have just booked motorcycle spaces for next year. Was quite surprised at how expensive it is now!

One of our group is going in a car which has a roof box, that with a cabin is in excess of £1k return 😳

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Lance wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:18 pm It’s been about 15 years since I’ve done the UK to Spain ferry, and have just booked motorcycle spaces for next year. Was quite surprised at how expensive it is now!

One of our group is going in a car which has a roof box, that with a cabin is in excess of £1k return 😳
Plus the onboard spends & its a pricey way to get to what is relatively easy anyways , think its around 700m from the Tunnel to the border with Spain , with fuel , overnight stay ( optional ) + tolls that should be doable with £250 so £500ish return + Tunnel (£200) & done in a shorter timeframe .
The long ferry is only a option id ever consider if you had a partner who hated being in the car for long periods & for myself that's not gonna end well for either of us :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo