Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Off to Spain with my E89

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Off to Spain with my E89

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 pm

Aires / Rastplatz - what have we got on our motorway system??
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ProfCJJ

Off to Spain with my E89

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 pm

So after a couple of months the repair on my E89 has been undertaken - it took a while to wait first for the surveyor then to get the car booked in, then I was overseas when the car was ready - but now I have it. In the end I got a new bonnet, new N/S alloy (plus tyre - not sure why but I'm not complaining!) and the N/S wing and bumper resprayed. Plus two new wing badges - allegedly.

The quality of the respray looks good, its hard to do a really good check in this rain but it looks quite good.

Of course I have a dash cam fitted, and of course it recorded the whole process ... when I recovered the car I was very keen to make sure that there was no joy riding going on at my expense! Thankfully there were no joy-rides - but there was a lot "revving" as they took the car from one parking spot to another in the garage. There were also a lot of swearing and comments around "hair dresser" whenever any one drove the car. Interestingly - whoever drove the car can be heard commenting on the power and how "if I owned this car it would end up killing me" - yet the "hairdresser" image seems to be far reaching :shrug:

The only issue I had is that they said they won do a geometry check before they started the work and the footage shows no geometry check, I went over and over the footage .... until I looked at just before I picked the car up, where they did put the car on the ramps and do a "Digital" wheel alignment ... I guess better late than never!

They also said that they replaced both wing badges, yet the BMW poundal is clearly old and "delaminating" plus its not a tight fit - I guess they refused the old ... I have commented to the insurer and am awaiting a response.

Incidentally I asked if I could have/buy my old wheel back as a spare (as essentially the damages was cosmetic) and both the repairer and the insurer said I cannot. By looking at the video I can see the workers photographing the old wheel - by the next day it had gone, hmmm I wonder where ....

Now for some decent weather to wash the car and go for a nice long drive :)

Cheers,
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.