Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Northern France 2018

Planned road trips and road-trip reports go in here
mjennings23

Northern France 2018

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 am

Well, I knew I'd get to this stage eventually! Time to look at planning my first euro trip in the Z, and I'm looking specifically at North France due to unfortunate time constraints. Probably going to be 4 nights in early July, so should catch the good weather but miss the main tourist season.

What I'm after is some suggestions, is it worth travelling to Calais and driving down, or would I be better getting a ferry straight to Cherbourg from the south coast? Costs more and takes a bit longer, but also saves 4 hours of travel in France. Or a different French port perhaps?

I'd like to see the historic towns of the area, as well as enjoying some lovely countryside tarmac in the sun, I know there's a good few of you guys who hit this area regularly so I'm asking the experts!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Northern France 2018

Post by Taz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 am

I would take the ferry option. Depends on your location but this could save miles on your car too

You must stop off at a least 1 war memorial whilst your out there

Spikey

Northern France 2018

Post by Spikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 am

I had a great trip in Aug this year - poole to Cherbourg ferry was a nice short trip - I toured the west side of France - Angers and Loire Valley ( a must see) then stayed in Tours for a few nights( not anything special) south via Cognac ( must stop here amazing vines and sunflower fields) in to Bordeaux. Trip from Bordeaux to Dordoigne and to St Emilion ( a must if you like your wine)
Back North to La Rochelle and Isle de Le ( another must see) then on to Mint St Michelle ( cliche but worth it)
Driving roads typically French - good B roads lots of straight runs and great scenery
In 4 days you could do the Loire part then La Rochelle and Mont St Michelle on way back
Poole ferry is good choice but roads from Port back a bit slow and busy - would still do this crossing again though
Hope this helps - PS I did Air BNB for many overnights this trip for first time and was pleasantly surprised- go by the reviews

Lance

Northern France 2018

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:15 am

Am very much a regular visitor to France, albeit usually by motorbike. Done two bike trips this year and was there last week in the Z4.

For a short break I'd look to go Provins for the first night, then a short trip onto the Morvan area where the roads and scenery are pretty good for the Northern part of France. The good routes are there in the North, they just take a little more research. From the Morvan region you could go a bit further south and loop back through places like Amien, where the Mercure is a good stopover, with secure parking and a very short walk to the canals lined with bars and restaurants. Also near Amien is Gerberoy, a really quaint and unspoilt French village, worth and hour or twos walk (look it up). You're also close to a lot of the war sites here.

Laon is another choice, but more likely instead of, rather than as well as Amien. The old part of Laon is very nice, right at the top of the hill, can't quite remember the hotel name, but it was Bannier or similar and had secure parking and very close to the square with bars and restaurants.

Crossing, Dover/Calais every time for me, have tried the other ports and either the crossing is too long or the infrequent crossings make earlier/later than booked crossings difficult. Personally I prefer the Eurotunnel for the quickness, however, I'm sulking with them at the moment as they're so much dearer than the ferries and they have bad attitude with their own delays! DFDS for me unless the train improves.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Northern France 2018

Post by RickRob » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Or you could go for the weekend of the 7th & 8th July and see the Le Mans classic! That's all the culture and history that I need!

The downside of the longer crossings is that they're quite infrequent, so you have to plan to arrive at the port in good time.

I always use P & O Dover to Calais for that reason - you can always get the next one if you're late (or the previous one if you're early) provided that you buy the flexi ticket. Also, why would you want to drive your Zed less on French roads? They are invariably much better than UK roads, whether they be the autoroutes or the minor roads.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Lance

Northern France 2018

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:29 pm

RickRob wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm
I always use P & O Dover to Calais for that reason - you can always get the next one if you're late (or the previous one if you're early) provided that you buy the flexi ticket.
You can do this on P&O and DFDS without the flexi ticket, providing you're one ferry early or late. I rarely get the ferry I'm booked on, either way. Only ever recall paying a fee (£27) once, when I was a few hours early.

Going out last week, two cars, we were an hour late for our booked ferry, were put on the next boat, no charge. Same for the return journey, but 2.5 hours early. Were put on the 13:55 instead of the booked 15:30. No charge for either car.

Have never bought a flexi ticket.

Cheers

mjennings23

Northern France 2018

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Cheers all, appreciate the advice and will have to have a ponder about what to see!

I'm excited at the prospect of giving the Zed a bit of European tarmac to run about on, in honesty!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Northern France 2018

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Sounds like a great trip in the making OP. :thumbsup:

I'd love to enjoy my Z4 in France - the roads are so much quieter!

I haven't driven to France since we went to the Dordogne in 2010 in my 123d - the trip home from Salignac-Eyvigues was 615 miles in one day, but it was a great drive (much less stress than 50 miles of M25)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black