Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to replace soft top motor without removing roof.. DONE!

Rancher1957

Post by Rancher1957 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:28 am

I just want to take a minute to thank everyone for all their posts both questions and answers. Especially Beynon5 who started this with a great tutorial. I just replaced the motor and relocated to the trunk. Works perfect!

Debell192

Post by Debell192 » Mon May 31, 2021 1:24 am

Hello all,

My Z4 suffered from the common fault with a corroded roof motor from the housing filling up with water.

Usually a garage will remove the entire roof to get access to the motor costing a lot in labour time, instead I found I could access the motor from the boot which will save you money.

I hope this video helps show how you can do this yourself, I’ve seen a lot of videos that are quite vague so hopefully this will give you a clear and concise guide of how to do it.

https://youtu.be/NPhwOO654JA
Attachments
73A827F1-209A-42D1-9AE0-195C327B048C.jpeg
73A827F1-209A-42D1-9AE0-195C327B048C.jpeg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 2143 times

Lytesben

Post by Lytesben » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi everyone

The inevitable happened and the roof motor stopped working yesterday. So I’ve had a go at trying to fix it myself and potentially relocate to the boot.

I’ve got as far as getting the motor out of its sodden mess (lovely grimy water!) and cannot for the life of me get the rest of the casing free. Where abouts are these elusive cable ties?

Does anyone do the roof relocation in South Somerset - willing to pay for it now as I’ve got fed up with folding myself every way possible to fit in the boot and get that stupid plastic out!
EC7F4748-2BFE-47BA-9851-4F32C6C9438C.jpeg
EC7F4748-2BFE-47BA-9851-4F32C6C9438C.jpeg (133.01 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Lytesben wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 pm Does anyone do the roof relocation in South Somerset - willing to pay for it now as I’ve got fed up with folding myself every way possible to fit in the boot and get that stupid plastic out!
The nearest to you will be forum member "Number 5" who is near Bristol. Easiest way is probably to just send him a PM. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 pm

Shame you have to call somebody in, it looks like you've done 90% of the really difficult bits. From what I can recall, I think I felt for where the ties were and used a pair of small side cutters to cut them without actually being able to see them. Failing that I think I used a steel bar to pry them until they broke. Not very pretty but it worked.
Of course, it's ten times harder in this weather too! :heat:
Robert.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - now sold
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Lytesben

Post by Lytesben » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:58 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm
Lytesben wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 pm Does anyone do the roof relocation in South Somerset - willing to pay for it now as I’ve got fed up with folding myself every way possible to fit in the boot and get that stupid plastic out!
The nearest to you will be forum member "Number 5" who is near Bristol. Easiest way is probably to just send him a PM. :thumbsup:
Roberltd2 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:22 pm Shame you have to call somebody in, it looks like you've done 90% of the really difficult bits. From what I can recall, I think I felt for where the ties were and used a pair of small side cutters to cut them without actually being able to see them. Failing that I think I used a steel bar to pry them until they broke. Not very pretty but it worked.
Of course, it's ten times harder in this weather too! :heat:
Robert.
Thanks both. Really frustrating and the hot weather did not help my temper either! I’ve dropped Number 5 a message so hopefully be up and running again soon!

Golfman

Post by Golfman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:15 am

Mike,
When I disconnected my motor from the pump several pieces fell out. I found two of the hardened steel bearing type pins you spoke of but there are three holes in the piece that goes over the shaft. Am I missing one of them?
Attachments
20210914_140144.jpg
20210914_140144.jpg (101.8 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

foo83

Post by foo83 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:45 am

[youtube][/youtube]

rdawg

Post by rdawg » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:06 pm

I am so glad that it was a great experience for you . im having the worst time with this process. I have followed all steps up to where i am currently (casing separated, motor is exposed, all cable clips removed ((that i can find)), but i can not get the motor up and out of the casing to place on the shelf. it will move about 3 inches up, but something , probably another cable tie i cant see, is holding it in the casing? Please help this is extremely frustrating!

rdawg

Post by rdawg » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:00 pm

i know i am a neewbie on here but i am having a heck of a time getting the bottom casing ou!!! i have the motor on the shelf, and i have tried everything i can think of to get the bottom casing up and out. Can someone please give me a pointer? i have a complete new pump waiting to be relocated to the boot, but i am stuck at the moment. HELP PLEASE!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:09 pm

rdawg wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:00 pm i am having a heck of a time getting the bottom casing ou!!!
I assume the pipes are wedged under the bottom casing then and this is preventing the motor pulling fully out?
If not, then the bottom casing can stay where it is tbh, though it may collect some water.

I have sometimes found that snipping the cable ties that hold the pipes and the emergency release cable to the side can give enough movement to wriggle the cables out. (You can re-tie them later)
Other than that it really is just a case of persevering. If you lay on your back in the boot with your hands back over your head you may be able to feel another cable tie still holding the casing in place on the front face. You need to break this somehow.
Trouble is with the hydraulic pipes down there too you have to be careful you don't cut them. If you can wiggle them out, maybe one at a time, you may be able to move them far enough to risk putting a knife down the to cut the cable.

Where are you? Maybe someone can help?
Bigwinn (Lincoln), Number5 (Bristol), Durham Dave (guess where he is?), me (Norfolk).
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

rdawg

Post by rdawg » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:24 pm

Sorry i am new to this! I am in Harrison, Arkansas USA. I am tying to replace the roof top motor of a 2005 Z4. Unfortunately i am a little to tall to totally climb in the boot. i have gone in from behind the driver seat, and in through the boot just cant seem to get those last tie(s) broke loose to get that casing out. It is very loose .....i have pried, and pulled until both hands and fore arms are cramping. trying to work around the hydraulic pipes carefully just hard as you know working by feel. Surely i will get there eventually.....something has to give.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:31 pm

rdawg wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:24 pm I am in Harrison, Arkansas USA.
Ah sorry, didn't realise you were 'over there'. :D
The last cable tie will be through a slot on the front face. That's why it moves up and down a bit.
Really is a case of pulling it up as far as you can, then trying to wedge a sharp, long screwdriver into the casing body and carry on levering up until either the plastic of the tie break.
I wedge a small length of broom handle across in front of the strut top and use this to lever against.
The hydraulic pipes usually pass under the casing, so levering straight up shouldn't damage them.
First time I did one I was scared by the amount of brute force it took, now I just dive in.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

rdawg

Post by rdawg » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:21 pm

Thank you! I will give that a go! the addition of the broom handle wedge should help tremendously. I was running out of ideas and skin on my hands trying to get to the last clip. thanks again .......stay tunned for an update.

Spivey

Post by Spivey » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:56 am

So it seems the method to replace the motor from the boot can only be done if the top is stuck up. Mine is stuck down and am not able to get it to raise manually. Tried pulling the red release, and it will open half way and gets stuck. Forced it a little and actually cracked the interior rear panel. Pisser. So it seems my options are to have someone hold it half way open and risk it falling and crushing my arm or removing the entire top. Anyone else have this issue with the top not being able to be raised ?