Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Submit How-To's here and the moderators will allocate them to the appropriate section
Post Reply
User avatar
ZedM
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by ZedM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:43 pm

My recently acquired Z4 does not have the cable which pokes through the boot rear panel and which is used to open the storage box/release the hood locking handle in the case of an electrical or central locking failure. Can anybody please tell me how (a) to remove the rear boot internal panel (the one that the cable pokes through) and (b) the correct routeing and connection for the cable? All advice gratefully received.
And here's the piccies!
Image
Image
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

Online
User avatar
srhutch
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 24730
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by srhutch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:25 pm

What year is your car as later ones did not come with the cord. Around face lift time it was changed. My old zed didn't have one, but my ///M does.
Image

User avatar
ZedM
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by ZedM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:35 am

srhutch wrote:What year is your car as later ones did not come with the cord. Around face lift time it was changed. My old zed didn't have one, but my ///M does.
Mine's a 2003 2.5i SE (I've added car details to my signature-thanks)
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

Online
User avatar
srhutch
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 24730
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by srhutch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Chances are somebody has had the firewall carpet off and left it behind. Are there any slits where the hole is to allow the knob to be pulled through?
Image

User avatar
ZedM
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by ZedM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:36 pm

srhutch wrote:Chances are somebody has had the firewall carpet off and left it behind. Are there any slits where the hole is to allow the knob to be pulled through?
The hole it is supposed to poke through can be seen in my photos hopefully but I can't feel the cord when I poke my finger through. Do you know how the firewall cover is removed? I can see a couple of screws at the top on each side but I'm unsure how the bottom clip (one just visible in my photos) is undone.
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

Online
User avatar
srhutch
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 24730
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by srhutch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Unless the carpet is different on pre face lift the fixing at the bottom is for the floor carpet. Just under the two screws and you should be able to pull it back. Although again looks different to face lift.
Image

User avatar
ZedM
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by ZedM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 pm

srhutch wrote:Unless the carpet is different on pre face lift the fixing at the bottom is for the floor carpet. Just under the two screws and you should be able to pull it back. Although again looks different to face lift.
Thanks, I'll give that a try 2moro.
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

User avatar
ZedM
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement - SORTED

Post by ZedM » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:48 pm

ZedM wrote:
srhutch wrote:Unless the carpet is different on pre face lift the fixing at the bottom is for the floor carpet. Just under the two screws and you should be able to pull it back. Although again looks different to face lift.
Thanks, I'll give that a try 2moro.
Thank you. Your advice was spot on. I managed to hook the cord through the hole in the rear firewall cover and then pull the button through. All resolved - thanks again ZedM :)
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

Online
User avatar
srhutch
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 24730
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: Emergency Cable Route/Replacement

Post by srhutch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Glad to be of help. :thumbsup:

Somebody has had the carpet off and forgot to put the cord back then by the look of it.
Image

Post Reply