Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How To- Retrofit Electric/Heated seats

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

How To- Retrofit Electric/Heated seats

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi all

I wanted to upgrade the seating in my E85- I'd searched everywhere and found a lot of threads around how to- thought I'd write mine up here if it helps someone in future...

First off- I'd rate this 3/5 on the difficulty scale, however I made some of my own cockups so all in all its not too bad! I'd done this before on an E30 and that was more complex- needing to install looms, relays and fuses etc.

As far as I can gather this is fairly easy on E85's build date to Oct 2004. Mine being Jan 04 I took a punt and all the loom etc was in the car already.

Shopping list was fairly short:

1) set of seats, heated or heated+electric
2) heated seat switches

Having procured both- I did some research and decided to crack on.

I'd say there are 3 stages to retrofit:

1) old seats out
2) old seat parts to new seats (if needed)
3) install new seats and buttons

Before you do anything- disconnect the battery for 20-30 mins to avoid airbag lights etc.

1) Old seats out:
Fairly simple, there are 4x 17mm bolts per seat, simply pop the front bolt covers off and undo all 4. Then undo the lower seatbelt bolt, again 17mm, the small torx holding the seatbelt guide on the shoulder so that slips out and you are ready to go under the seat to unclip the harness.
IMG_7466.jpeg
IMG_7466.jpeg (343.45 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
The harness unclips the OTHER end of where the screwdriver is, and pulls away from you allowing the plug to slide out.

Then your seat is free. Take it away (be careful as they are big, bulky and scratch stuff for fun) and hoover the car out once you have done the other side.
IMG_7468.jpeg
IMG_7468.jpeg (449.18 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
2) Old seats parts to new seats
Note that I needed to do this as my new seats did not come with seatbelts, sensors and yellow plugs. If yours do- jump to reinstall new seats!

Slight difference between passenger and driver seat, but principle is the same. You are disconnecting the seat belt clip and associated loom back to the female part of the yellow plug. On the passenger seat you will also unclip and take off the seat sensor.

Passenger:
IMG_7492.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg (360.34 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
undo the seat occupancy sensor
IMG_7493.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg (417.71 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Twist the sensor off the seat
IMG_7494.jpeg
IMG_7494.jpeg (404.85 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Unclip the female yellow plug- note there is a black 'cable stay' that slides off which keeps all wires in place too
IMG_7496.jpeg
IMG_7496.jpeg (549.32 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Undo the seatbelt clip and this is what comes away from the seat!

On your new seat- start by reattaching the seatbelt clip to the seat. Then run the wiring through the right route away from moving parts to reattach the seat sensor, all in reverse to taking it off.

If you then reattach the female yellow clip (or do this once the plug is reassembled) to the seat you now need to insert all other seat plugs- these are just a game of right male into right hole- you'll see what I mean, but you end up with a new female clip looking like this:
IMG_7503.jpeg
IMG_7503.jpeg (377.78 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Then slide the black securing sleeve in place to stop the plugs slipping out (which again they do for fun)
IMG_7504.jpeg
IMG_7504.jpeg (347.43 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
That is a seat ready to reinstall!

Drivers is very similar albeit omit the seat occupancy sensor

3) install new seats and buttons

OK so really this is easy- but a few watch outs. Reconnect the seats to the car via the looms- opposite of the unclip- the securing clip holds it in place. The reason for reattaching looms is that you will need electrics to move the seats to rebolt them.

Open the ashtray- pull the insert out- undo the single cross head screw and pull the ashtray and old switches out- fairly simple once you know how. Undo 3x loom connections, unscrew the switch panel (x3 torx) and pull the old switches away. Reinstall the new switches, re connect loom, pop the switches and ashtray back in and screw in place.

Now connect the battery.

You should now be able to bolt your seats back in place- 4x 17mm to floor, 1x 17mm seat belt anchor and small torx screw to rescuer shoulder belt guide on seat.

And that's it.
IMG_7516.jpeg
IMG_7516.jpeg (288.18 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_7517.jpeg
IMG_7517.jpeg (430.11 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Credit where its due to:
@Left98204- sage advice thank you
@Mac27040- again great guidance thank you
@Parabolica- Marc thanks for the seats, top man for arranging them all the way from way up north!
Also the guys who helped with seatbelt guidance when I got stuck

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me