Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Window rattle. Fix it before it fails!

bcworkz

Re: Window rattle. Fix it before it fails!

Post by bcworkz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Use a flat plastic trim tool to avoid damage to trim materials. The rear of the opener is hooked into the card. The front is held by snap in studs. Once the front studs are freed by prying outwards, slide the opener out slightly and forward to release the hooks. The cable will be the only thing holding it once the hooks release.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

Mau

Post by Mau » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Many thanks for the quick turn around!

Edit: tested and works like a charm!
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Mikey_Boy

Post by Mikey_Boy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I have also done this with *some* success. The trim removal is no problem with the sequence as follows:

- remove airbag logo and remove torx screw
- piece of blu tack on the round piece of trim behind the door handle to remove, remove torx screw behind that
- remove door handle trim from the bottom carefully then remove 2 x torx screws and remove handle
- lever trim from bottom all the way along and then pull the top part of the trim

Voila!! One removed door trim. Top tip for me was getting a set of wide plastic trim removal tools..

When I did mine I saw that the foam panel behind the door trim had all sorts of tears and rips in it which wasn't the best news. Finding a pile of glass in the base of the door was all disappointing suggesting that the door glass isn't original but you live and learn..

Anyway, after a good hour or so clearing out the glass and spraying with some wax oil all seems better on the inside of the door.

However, when it came to tightening the torx bolt mentioned on here all seemed well - I removed the bolt and cleaned up the thread with a die and reinserted and tightened.. There is still *some* movement on the glass but it is improved compared to what it was like..

With a patched up door foam (silicone and gaffer tape) and refitted trim the door sounds a lot healthier on opening and closing.

Are there any further ideas on door glass movement?? Any details on how to change the bushes mentioned in this thread??

I am going to live with it for now and check periodically how things are - anyone have an official torque number for bolt going into the window? I don't wish to lean on any fixtures too hard... :wink:

Cheers,
Mike

wezdance

Post by wezdance » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Does anyone know off hand what TX size is the bolt that needs tightening? I have the door card off and I'm ready to order the torx driver as mine don't go up that high!!
3.0L - 2004 - Sterling Grey - Cruise - Stubby

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 am

Lads going go hunting for this screw today while it's dry outside can anyone mark on this picture aprox where it's going be found to stop me butchering stuff looking for it

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:11 pm

got the trim off, i'd be doing me a favour pointing me at the location rather than me stripping all this blanket off.

i'm guessing buttom right looking at the picture under the airbag logo

edit. n/m found it and it is there, now if i could only find the right size head to tighten it

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:30 pm

for anyone else doing this, window 2/3's down and you'll see the screw (6.5 flathead) through this hole along with the plastic holder etc

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:19 pm

What a great Post !

I had the same problem, searched the forum, found this post and sorted it within about 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately one of the clipped nuts holding on the main door "grab handle" broke during removal, so I've had to order a new clip-nut at £1.52 before I can put the panel back on properly again.

However, if you've got a horrible rattle every time the door shuts and it sounds like the window is about to drop into the door, follow these instructions ASAP
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 am

I need to do this on my driver door. Once the panel is off and the hole is located, is it just a case of tightening the screw and putting it all back together then.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:48 am

firebobby wrote:I need to do this on my driver door. Once the panel is off and the hole is located, is it just a case of tightening the screw and putting it all back together then.
Yep. Just follow the instructions in the OP to find the retaining screws. The hardest part is popping the clips along the top by the glass.

I think it was either a T30 or T45 Torx bolt needed for tightening
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Cheers Alan :thumbsup:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Well, after getting back from Dunsfold and having to listen to the rattle in my door, I had a look when I got home. I removed the door card which was pretty easy... thanks to the forum :thumbsup:
I found that I wasn't the first to enter this place, I found a missing screw behind the airbag plug, tweeter cover has a broken clip and the plastic sheet was torn in places.
I had a good mooch around and after taping and banging the door I noticed that the rattle was the side impact bar, it was loose on the front bolt. After tightening this, my rattle pain was no more.
I repaired the plastic sheet as best I could, and put it all back together. I now have a door that goes thud when shut... JOY
It may be worth checking this bolt before open door surgery takes place as you can get to it behind the wiring loom that goes into the door from the A post, it sits behind a plastic cap.
Does anyone have a spare tweeter cover for the drivers door and a screw that goes behind the airbag plug
Thanks.
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981