Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Emergency closing / Emergency opening of the Convertible Top

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 pm

There has been some discussion on the board about this topic and some of you just won't read your owners manual. :P

Emergency closing / emergency opening
In the event of failure of electrical and/or hydraulic functions, the top can be opened and closed using emergency unlocking/locking systems.

Emergency closing:

1.In the luggage compartment on the left-hand side below the convertible top compartment floor, pull out the plastic ring attached to a Bowden cable as far as it will go.

2.With a 90-degree turn, lock the plastic handle in this position.
In the hydraulic unit, a short circuit is enabled, making it possible to open and close the folding top by hand.

3.Pull the handle of the Bowden cable in the rear panel of the luggage compartment.
The interlock in the convertible top compartment is released.

4.Move the top forwards by hand until it reaches the cowl panel.

5.Take the Allen key from the on-board toolkit.

6.Remove the plastic panel from the front roof brace.

7.Insert the Allen key in the uncovered internal hexagon.

8.Lock and unlock the cowl panel lock by turning the Allen key.

9.Take out and replace the Allen key.

Emergency opening:

1.Perform steps 1 and 2 as well as 5 to 7 from 'Emergency closing'.

2.Unlock and open the cowl panel lock by turning the Allen key.

3.Take out and replace the Allen key.

4.Move the top backwards until it reaches the convertible top compartment
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

rgeholt

Re: Emergency closing / Emergency opening of the Convertible

Post by rgeholt » Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 am

Hello shipkiller,

I have been looking to replace the motor on my Z4 (E85) roof, I see you have done a guide (including roof removal) but cannot find the pictures as they seem to be removed.

It looks to be an excellent guide and I am mechanically sound enough to do the work.

I also cannot seem to get on your website.

May I be forward enough to ask if you still have it, and if so may I have a copy to allow me to do the work? Others that have used it in the past has said it was invaluable.

Thanks Richard

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:40 am

I'm really sad to say that ShipKiller has been AFK for quite sometime.
He also took his site down due to massive negativity and bullshit he was getting from other sites.

It was a great resource, and its another case of idiots spoiling it for the rest of us (and I totally understand him taking it down!)

There is a PDF available around abouts that someone will likely come here and link for you though however.
:zzzz:

lstratos

Post by lstratos » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:16 pm

oh that sucks... i did save some of his docs.. I hope I can find it as my top just started having problems

E30fixated

Re: Emergency closing / Emergency opening of the Convertible Top

Post by E30fixated » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:41 pm

My experience pertains to the non-power top. The locking system component that secures the top when down refused to release, even when I pulled the Bowden cable (twine really) past its breaking point :x . I live in Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA; but unfortunately the BMW plant here in town wasn't helpful at that time. My "re-engineering" began with removing the between-seats console. If anyone has a similar problem, I'll answer his/her PM.

kings003

Post by kings003 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 pm

I need help with my manual (non-motorised) convertible top on my 2003 Z4.

It is now sitting 1/2 inch higher than where it's supposed to sit, and no matter how I press it down to try to latch it properly, it still wouldn't latch. The release handle inbetween the two seats aren't releasing the top too. What can I do??? Please help!

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:04 pm

kings003 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 pm I need help with my manual (non-motorised) convertible top on my 2003 Z4.

It is now sitting 1/2 inch higher than where it's supposed to sit, and no matter how I press it down to try to latch it properly, it still wouldn't latch. The release handle inbetween the two seats aren't releasing the top too. What can I do??? Please help!
I can't help you with your problem but you'd be better off posting this here: viewforum.php?f=3 (E85 - E86 Problems). You'll hopefully get a quicker response than using the 'How To' section. Good luck with it.
Zedless :(