Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Improve my driving skills

Gwest44

Post by Gwest44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 am

Thinking of booking a car control course to achieve this and would welcome any suggestions or advice from anyone who has already completed a course. Obviously keen to hear if it was a worthwhile experience
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

HarryD

Post by HarryD » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 am

I would suggest you find a local organization that runs an Autocross program. You will learn valuable car control skills while learning about your car and possibly, even have fun.

What is Autocross?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocross
Harry
1970 VW Sunroof Bus - "The Magic Bus"
1973.5 911T Targa - "Smokey"
2003 BMW Z4
2009 MB C300

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 am

Gwest44 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 am Thinking of booking a car control course to achieve this and would welcome any suggestions or advice from anyone who has already completed a course. Obviously keen to hear if it was a worthwhile experience
I’ve been on a “car limits” day & also been to the prodrive track and skidpan, both recommended for improving car control :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pete-r

Post by Pete-r » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:52 am

I'be done the car limits airfield day which was excellent, and I try to get time with people at track days when I can to learn from others.

CATS training I like the look of but very expensive.

noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:23 am

For a bit of fun - and learning a little bit about car control, try this: https://www.paulswift.com/experiences/s ... periences/

It's huge fun and you will genuinely scare yourself doing things in a car you've only seen in the movies. The precision element is also great, with you completing a short auto-test in a Mustang or Focus RS.

I would highly recommend it - even if it's not a substitute for a more formal 1-1 lesson.

Paul is a the UK autotest champion, professional stunt driver - he ran the Top Gear Live shows for many years and historic rally champion. His Dad - Russ, is now semi-retired, but you may remember him from the Austin Montego adverts from the 80s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTx0ZTOaIc
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:24 am

They are well worth it in my experience. The Prodrive Course was the excellent. One to one, two different skid pans. A fast circuit and a handling circuit. Long while back may be different these days. I would also recommend a rally skills day. Bill Gwynne, used to run one. Whatever you choose, have fun. :thumbsup:

PS Just checked, Bill is no longer with us :(
PPS The rally school is still going strong. :)