Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to Remove and Replace your Soft Top Motor..56k Beware

brawnyblue

Re: How to Remove and Replace your Soft Top Motor..56k Bewar

Post by brawnyblue » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I am busy replacing my motor. I noticed that the connectors for the hydrolic pipes have changed sides.

On the new motor 11 13 is now where 12 14 was on the old motor and 12 14 is where 11 13 was. Has anyone else noticed this?

SAMX109

Post by SAMX109 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:09 pm

I've purchased my 2003 Z4 used from the dealer w/the extended warranty, and the top stopped working. They said they will cover the motor, but not the housing. Shouldn't that be covered by warranty also? Or is it consider as maintenance that needs to be replaced?

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 am

Remember these people probably have no idea of the reality of the problem. They see the housing as a reusable part. "Seal it up and it'll be good as new." Like where you have to reuse bracketry when you change an alternator. They're just being cheap. Try challenging them, explaining a new housing is essential to properly seal the motor and prevent the same thing from happening again, that the original design is flawed, that a ratty old housing is impossible to seal properly.

They are like insurance companies, they push for the sake of pushing. You have to push back to get what's fair. If it comes down to it, if they're paying for motor and labor, I'd buy the housing and have the mechanic install it whilst everything is apart.
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi,

can anyone help me ?,
my roof Hydro-motor is not working i need to replace it.

I can't get the roof down manually, I've tried pulling on the RED finger pull device in the boot (with roof back a little and unlocked)but it's very tight and I'm sure it will break before it releases anything.

it is a hydraulic bypass I'm guessing ?

Anyone got any Ideas ? It's a 2004 Z4 and I have confirmed it's the motor. :headbang:

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:10 am

Tim182 wrote:I am busy replacing my motor. I noticed that the connectors for the hydrolic pipes have changed sides.

On the new motor 11 13 is now where 12 14 was on the old motor and 12 14 is where 11 13 was. Has anyone else noticed this?
Has anyone else experienced this, if so what did you do?

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 am

BettyBmw03 wrote:
Tim182 wrote:I am busy replacing my motor. I noticed that the connectors for the hydrolic pipes have changed sides.

Has anyone else experienced this, if so what did you do?
Hi,

I didn't have this problem ..but I did read about it on this forum somewhere, but can't remember where.

shipkiller has a good write up too, but not sure if it covers the problem you're having , good luck

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Just an update, The new motor markings are CORRECT!!!!

You need to follow them!!!!!

Write up to follow soon....
Last edited by BettyBmw03 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 pm

So, I have officially replaced the motor with a new motor. Sealed the insulation with silicone and it should be cured by now. Going to try to drop the roof back and and PRAY IT WORKS!

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

BettyBmw03 wrote:So, I have officially replaced the motor with a new motor. Sealed the insulation with silicone and it should be cured by now. Going to try to drop the roof back and and PRAY IT WORKS!

Well done, let us know if it's OK, mine is still a little slow to go up..think there is still air working it's way out, if I lived in a sunnier climate it would probably be ok by now...but alas !!

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 am

Problems, problems, problems.....

I was able to get the roof w/new motor installed today. I attempted to lower the roof AND>>>>>

The windows went down as needed
The latch released from the windshield
I can hear the new motor turning as should
AND NOTHING!!!!!!

I checked the trunk switch, the tray table, the bowden cable....I am stuck and NEED HELP :(

The bowden cable seems to working properly. Bc when engaged the roof opens smoothly and when in non bypass position the roof will open 1/4 of the way and you meet resistance.

I am by far open to suggestions.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 am

BettyBmw03 wrote:Problems, problems, problems.....

I was able to get the roof w/new motor installed today. I attempted to lower the roof AND>>>>>

The windows went down as needed
The latch released from the windshield
I can hear the new motor turning as should
AND NOTHING!!!!!!

I checked the trunk switch, the tray table, the bowden cable....I am stuck and NEED HELP :(

The bowden cable seems to working properly. Bc when engaged the roof opens smoothly and when in non bypass position the roof will open 1/4 of the way and you meet resistance.

I am by far open to suggestions.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Hi, sorry to hear that, the only thing I can think of is that there is air in the system, the motor is turning ...so keep trying it up and down hopefully the air will go out, the only other thing is that your wires are crossed :cry:

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 pm

When moving up and down should the bowden cable be pulled or not?

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 pm

BettyBmw03 wrote:When moving up and down should the bowden cable be pulled or not?
Not pulled if you are using the motor, pulled if manual, is your Bowden cable very tight ? did you adjust it ?

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm

The cable is tight. I figured it is working properly because if not pulled the roof will not got down, it will only go back about a 1/4 of the way, then if you pull it the roof goes down easily.

I attempted about 3-4 times last night with the cable not pulled to lift the roof with the motor and then close by pulling the cable....and then repeat. Still nothing. I wonder if I just didn't do it enough? I know for a fact the wires are not wrong I doubled and tripled checked them...

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm

BettyBmw03 wrote:The cable is tight. I figured it is working properly because if not pulled the roof will not got down, it will only go back about a 1/4 of the way, then if you pull it the roof goes down easily.

I attempted about 3-4 times last night with the cable not pulled to lift the roof with the motor and then close by pulling the cable....and then repeat. Still nothing. I wonder if I just didn't do it enough? I know for a fact the wires are not wrong I doubled and tripled checked them...
Hi,

yes, try it some more, mine still can take about 6-10 seconds before it starts moving on opening on closing it seems quicker !!!