Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to Remove your Soft Top.....56k Beware

timscuba
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to Remove your Soft Top.....56k Beware

Post by timscuba » Sat May 16, 2009 1:53 pm

PhilDZ4 wrote:Ah yes... incest a game the whole family can play.
Is that what happens when you reach that age? :evil:

Carscadden

Post by Carscadden » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 pm

The parts came in and I started the job last night. Sincere thanks for the info - I wouldn't have tried it without (someone else risking it all!) some guidance. :P

I got hung up on the forward hoop retaining clips. Admittedly I didn't examine your pics well enough and the TIS so I sort of skipped this part ... then gave up as I couldn't figure out how to get the hoop out. Soooo, I'm here now sipping my coffee, reviewing the docs all over again and realizing my error. Duh. I'm anxious to get out the garage, fire up the radio for some rock and roll confidence, and delve back into it.

I'll let you know the outcome, and perhaps snap a few pics of my work.

Regards,

Brian Carscadden :driving:
Oakland, NJ, USA

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:26 pm

Yea, the TIS sorta keeps the hoop retaining clip info to a minimum..

Once you see it, it becomes soooo simple, but the write up sucks...
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Carscadden

Post by Carscadden » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 am

Shipkiller wrote:Yea, the TIS sorta keeps the hoop retaining clip info to a minimum..

Once you see it, it becomes soooo simple, but the write up sucks...
Got the hoop out. I used a curved tire iron and a shim from inside the trunk to pop the hoop out from the clips. Removal of the hoop took quite a few attempts and lots of head-scratching. I finally figured out that starting the hoop from an edge (passenger side) worked best; it had the most play and with a little patience eased right out of the channel. Good thing for your taping recommendation. I doubled the tape around the body, and put more tape on the hoop itself to avoid damage.

Now I'm awaiting the help of a friend to get the whole top out of the Z4. I have a few pics from my experience ... I'll post them when I'm all done.

Regards,

Brian

donut

Post by donut » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi all

Is the hoop connected to the fabric? I ask because I had my motor replaced by the main dealer not so long ago and when they put the hood back on I am not sure they have aligned it correctly. The reason for this is the weather stripping around the back of the hood - it doesn't really reach on one side to connect to the piece of plastic you take out that covers the mounts.

I have attached a pic -any advice really appreciated.

thanks
Simon

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 pm

donut wrote:Hi all

Is the hoop connected to the fabric? I ask because I had my motor replaced by the main dealer not so long ago and when they put the hood back on I am not sure they have aligned it correctly. The reason for this is the weather stripping around the back of the hood - it doesn't really reach on one side to connect to the piece of plastic you take out that covers the mounts.

I have attached a pic -any advice really appreciated.

thanks
Simon
Simon, two possibilities.
One: the rubber just started to work loose from the channel it is clipped into. Just push it down and in to place. If you look at Step six in the original post, you will see how the rubber is fitted.
Or two, if you really think the hoop has worked itself up, bring your top halfway closed, to put as much slack in the fabric as possible. Then at the end of the rubber, where it meets the front rubber (in your pic), go back about an 1" or 2". Put your hand inside as far as it will go down, and push down on the metal bar under the top fabric. DO NOT PUSH ON THE UNSUPPORTED TOP FABRIC.

Carscadden

Post by Carscadden » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:09 am

I'm knee-deep in my pump replacement ... taking it VERY slow to make sure all is perfect. All is going well, except... I came across a significant tech issue regarding the pump and have contacted Hoerbiger (the pump manufacturer) in hopes of getting an answer. In short, the line identifiers stamped into the unit are reversed on the new unit. Pics are here: http://gallery.me.com/carscadden1#100121

As you can see, on the new pump it's 14/12 on left, 13/11 on right. The old pump has 11/13 on left and 14/12 on right (not quite visible, but the lines indicate it in this order).

SOOOOO ... trust the labeling on the lines and the old pump, or trust the markings on the new pump??? tough choice.

Unless someone has some wisdom as to a change in the pump design, I'll wait to hear from Hoerbiger. And when all else fails, I think I'll trust the old pump's line config, then cross my fingers...

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 am

I trusted the labeling on the new pump, and labeling on the hydraulic lines. I just made sure the electrical leads were hooked up the same way...

Carscadden

Post by Carscadden » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Did your new pump also have the markings reversed?

I didn't receive any response from Hoerbiger. I'm reaching out to the parts supplier today.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 pm

I really can't remember... sorry..

scotch1217

Post by scotch1217 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:17 am

I noticed you had the BMW TIS program on your laptop. Two questions..can I have it? And if not...where can I get it? Every lead I've gone for has turned out to be an owner's manual...which is NOT a technical manual. If I could get my hands on that program, I could be unstoppable. Aside from that...thanks for the post big guy. I'm glad I found it before taking a crack at it...torx bits would have become an issue. German bastards. :D
2003 Z4 3.0i/British Racing Green/Tan Leather/Symmetrical Taillights/Clear Brake Light/Aero Front Bumper/Graphite Grill/Xenon/Premium Sound+DSP/Nav/Ram Air Scoop/Single Pipe Exhaust to Dual Tip/

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:12 pm

You can buy the TIS on Ebay for about $15.00. That's where I got it...

The program is quite large.

jwate

Post by jwate » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and saw your great explanation on removing the soft top. You really know your stuff. So I thought I would come to you with a question if you don't mind. I have a 2003 z4 and I am having trouble with my top. My problems is that I'm getting no power to my top at all. Does that mean it's still my motors. I had my local mechanic change out the switch which didn't help. I just don't want to tear out the top and replace the motors and still have no power to the top. So I'm just wondering if this is a common problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Tell me exactly what happens when you push the open button?

Do the locks unlock?

Deneva

Post by Deneva » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Shipkiller
Well done. This is excellent information on removal of the Z4 soft top. I am attempting this repair shortly. and will be following your instructions page by page. Do you use the computer at all to diognose faults. Also would you have contact details of your hydraulic motor supplier. It is often cheaper to ship it from America, rather than buy locally here in Australia.
Regards Den