Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Grom USB3 No sound (Solved)

Dreamer89

Grom USB3 No sound (Solved)

Post by Dreamer89 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:04 pm

So I managed to connect the unit into the boot, the track names will come up on the nav but no sound will come through, this is true of bluetooth and usb, I think I may need to disconnect the existing cd changer, but I can't figure out how, had a good reach around in the access hole behind the boot liner and can't find any cables to the cd changer.
Would greatly appreciate it if someone could post pictures of where they are!
Last edited by Dreamer89 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ah-

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by ah- » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm

I had something similar when I installed my grom box, just that it was an existing stock BMW ipod adapter that I had to remove from behind the radio behind the dash that was preventing the grom from working.

Did your car come with a cd changer? How did you connect your grom box?
There should be two cables in the little compartment behind the boot liner, did you connect both?
Z4M Coupe

Dreamer89

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by Dreamer89 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:43 pm

ah- wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm I had something similar when I installed my grom box, just that it was an existing stock BMW ipod adapter that I had to remove from behind the radio behind the dash that was preventing the grom from working.

Did your car come with a cd changer? How did you connect your grom box?
There should be two cables in the little compartment behind the boot liner, did you connect both?
Hi, Yes it came with a CD changer, managed to find the 6pin and 3 pin connectors in the boot easily and connect them both. I actually have a stock ipod connector aswell that goes into the glovebox, this was stopping you from hearing audio but still get track names?

ah-

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by ah- » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I don't fully remember if I saw track names, but it did prevent me from hearing audio. I think the ipod connector and grom both use the same cd changer port and conflict with each other.
Z4M Coupe

Dreamer89

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by Dreamer89 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks for the help, so I imagine I'll need to remove the ipod connection and refit the cd changer connection. Found guides to remove the radio, any tips for what I should do after? :D

ah-

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by ah- » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Yep, pull out the radio (pretty straight forward, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURjgGNsxLs) and then fish around a bit behind to find the ipod adapter. It looks like this, with the black rubber sleeve on:

If you disconnect the adapter box from the radio the grom should start working. You don't need to completely remove the radio, just pull it out a bit and you should be able to get to the adapter.
Z4M Coupe

Dreamer89

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by Dreamer89 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks for the help, will try it tomorrow!

Dreamer89

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by Dreamer89 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 am

Did you have to disconnect the cable from the back of the radio or was removing the adapter and leaving the wiring as is sufficient?

ah-

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by ah- » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:09 am

I've just unplugged the cable from the adapter and left everything around the radio as it was.
Z4M Coupe

Dreamer89

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by Dreamer89 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Success! Getting the fan out was incredibly frustrating, radio was easy after that. Took out the cables attached to the grey box, thought I'd try it out before putting it back in...no sound still! About to call it a day and leave it to professionals when I looked at the back of the radio and noticed there were 2 white plugs, one slotted into the radio and 1 hanging loose, figuring there was a good chance it was the cd changer plug hanging loose I swapped them over, turned the ignition on...and sweet sweet music from my bluetooth came at me (Nightcall from the Drive soundtrack)!
Huge thanks ah-, couldn't have done it without your help man!

ah-

Grom USB3 No sound

Post by ah- » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Well done :thumbsup:

Great to hear it works now!
Z4M Coupe