Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio upgrade?

Andrews.Rick

Radio upgrade?

Post by Andrews.Rick » Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 am

Hi Topperz,

To make DAB work properly you need a ‘powered’ aerial installed in an upright/near vertical plane. Neat and tidy would be something like a Hama car antenna (£38) but cheaper windscreen aerial laminated to the inside of the glass also work. It’ll depend on the head unit that you’ve got as to which exact aerial will work best for you. Also, some head units provide the ‘power’ whilst others will require you to steal the power from something else (normally a simple jumper from the power input to the head unit), minuscule amps so nothing to worry about. Hope that helps.
Red E85 2.5i M-Sport, manual. Upgrades: cruise control retrofit & LED fogs. Next: Stormwerks nob & DAB/Bluetooth.

BigChief

Radio upgrade?

Post by BigChief » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Guys,
New to the forum and reading the advice Re: DAB installation with interest. Getting this done in the coming week or so.
Can anyone help please....
So i will buy the radio and the fascia - happy with that from the previous entries.
But
Is there an extra bit i need to buy to ensure the controls on the steering wheel still work (and will they)??
Thanks

Tommo61

Radio upgrade?

Post by Tommo61 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Not in a Z4, but I'm using a Pure Highway 400 DAB add on, which requires USB power and inputs via the phono audio in/aux connector.
Fitting was really simple with an unobtrusive clear stick on window aerial around 1.5cmx20cm . - It gives all the ususal DAB2 stations, as well as bluetooth to a phone and connects via the unit to Spotify using the phone's connection. You can either listen via aux in, or set it up on an unused fm frequency. Reception and sound quality is perfect. - That is, equal to national FM reception quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyR70WVNhGk
E85 3.0l si auto Midnight/Beige
E85 3.0l si man Sapphire/Beige (gone)

Sidewaze Samm

Radio upgrade?

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:38 pm

BigChief wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:08 pm Hi Guys,
New to the forum and reading the advice Re: DAB installation with interest. Getting this done in the coming week or so.
Can anyone help please....
So i will buy the radio and the fascia - happy with that from the previous entries.
But
Is there an extra bit i need to buy to ensure the controls on the steering wheel still work (and will they)??
Thanks
Yes, you will.
Have a look at Dynamic Sounds - they do a multitude of connecting harnesses for all makes
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

AnilS

Radio upgrade?

Post by AnilS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 pm

I'm looking for an answer to adding USB stick capabilities and dab but keeping the sat nav.
Thanks
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Dazdec7296

Radio upgrade?

Post by Dazdec7296 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:15 pm

adam1985 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 pm Similar to chris i recently fitted the Pioneer DEH-X7800DAB. This has usb on front but after fitting i would have preferred one on the rear so that I could run the lead to the glovebox. The front mounted usb is quite close to the indicator stalk so I decided to buy a very low profile memory stick so that I dont knock it.
Hi, I have just fitted this very same stereo but the fascia surround I ordered with it was about 3 mm too small and would not fit around it. I don’t want to order another one in case that one doesn’t fit. Do you still remember where you got your fascia surround from so I can order the same one.

MarkG - E85

Radio upgrade?

Post by MarkG - E85 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:06 pm

Do you have to change the aerial for a specific DAB aerial or can you just use the existing aerial?