Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

speaker upgrade

Andp

speaker upgrade

Post by Andp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:03 pm

I have standard hifi fitted but have the option to buy a set of used oem speakers including subwoofers removed from a e85 with premium hifi.

Would these be worth fitting to improve sound? ( I think the subwoofers would not work unless amp is upgraded?)

Any advice gratefully received.
Z4MR Titanium

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

speaker upgrade

Post by firebobby » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Sorry, I thought you meant Berk o (correct spelling) the speaker :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

speaker upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 pm

The speakers will fit, and would be a worthwhile upgrade. You are correct that you would need an amp to drive the subs, but pretty much any aftermarket amp with a sub output would do, as you could use the line level outputs from the head to the amp. You could also put the amp where the factory one goes, behind the battery. If you have one of the earlier cars, it's possible that the wiring could also be there, and make the job easier as you'd be able to utilise some of the wiring already running from the head unit to the boot, and also the switched power inputs from the head unit.

If you are retrofitting the subs, make sure the rears have the steel plate they need, as they won't fit without it.

I have the premium Hi-Fi in mine, and really rate it. Better in fact than the Dolby Pro-Logic setup in my XC90, and that has twin powered subs. The bass in the Zed with 4 subs is awesome.

Mike

Andp

speaker upgrade

Post by Andp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks would it be worthwhile just to replace the speakers without the subs & would this still be an improvement?
Z4MR Titanium

LordOxygen

speaker upgrade

Post by LordOxygen » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Hard to say, but ultimately, if you like bass then you'll want subs.
I've got the hifi speaker system in mine and it's surprisingly good, I'd say it's better than the premium Bose system in my daily drive which is 10+ years newer.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

speaker upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:09 pm

The main difference comes from the subs, I think, but may be wrong, that the mids/tweeters are the same in the basic system, BUT there are only two mids in the doors, whereas the Hi-Fi system has two more behind the seats, coupled with subs in the foot wells and two more behind the seats.

Mike

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

speaker upgrade

Post by markplant » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 am

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... lcnvGTMIfw

Hope this works, the link is to a PDF, if you start page 32, it will show you the layouts for the 3 systems , hope this helps
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

vester86

speaker upgrade

Post by vester86 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Andp wrote:I have standard hifi fitted but have the option to buy a set of used oem speakers including subwoofers removed from a e85 with premium hifi.

Would these be worth fitting to improve sound? ( I think the subwoofers would not work unless amp is upgraded?)

Any advice gratefully received.
If you mean the top hifi, with carver subs, this is not a direct refit as the carver subs are only 2ohms. The hifi subs are 10ohm. If you have the standard 6 speaker setup, the mids in the doors are obvious missing, as are the subs behind the seats (as mentioned above me).

Andp

speaker upgrade

Post by Andp » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for all replies.

If I were just to swap over the speakers and not the subs at the moment, will this improve the sound or are the phillips speakers
essentially the same in the standard and the hifi set-ups?
Z4MR Titanium

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

speaker upgrade

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 am

Andp wrote:Thanks for all replies.

If I were just to swap over the speakers and not the subs at the moment, will this improve the sound or are the phillips speakers
essentially the same in the standard and the hifi set-ups?
As far as I know, the mids and tweeters are the same across the packages. The difference comes from the additional mids behind the seats plust the subs.

Mike

vester86

speaker upgrade

Post by vester86 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Only for 6 speaker setup vs "tandard" HIFI. The TOP-hifi (DSP) is a totally different thing in many ways