Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adding and Amp (wiring)

benv6

Adding and Amp (wiring)

Post by benv6 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:21 pm

I have been trying to search threads all morning and still can't find an answer !!

Basically I am trying to add an AMP and subs but I just cannot find where to tap for the remote cable so the amp would turn /ON/OFF with the head unit ??!!!

Secondly where should I feed the AMP signal from ?? Rear or Front Speakers ?!!
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

xp_mckenna

Adding and Amp (wiring)

Post by xp_mckenna » Sun May 01, 2016 5:20 pm

I'll be doing this soon - traditionally any switched live feed would do (if you're fitting an aftermarket HU there will usually be a spur for a 'power aerial' or similar).

The feed is dependent on the head unit...

NeilP

Adding and Amp (wiring)

Post by NeilP » Mon May 02, 2016 10:49 am

If you haven't already picked up your equipment, an amplifier with auto-turn on will be incredibly helpful in this case.

If not, the best bet is to run a switched feed from the fusebox.

As for the signal, this may vary depending on what factory stereo you have but I would be looking to get the full range output from the back of the head unit itself.

Having recently upgraded my audio for the roadster (with basic audio) I just grabbed the full range signal from each of the woofers in the kick panels and ran full runs to the boot where my amp and processor is.

If you have a search, SK93 has posted up some great content about pin out info on the stereos so that would be worth considering.

warp

Adding and Amp (wiring)

Post by warp » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:36 pm

I'm preparing my upgrade of the stock basic radio.
I have already bought a 4 channels amp.

I'm wondering what would be best :
- keep the stock radio (and integrated amp) for some of the woofers, let's say all front ones, and athe new amp for stock back and new subwoofers.
- wire all woofers, stock and new, to the new amp only. Question is : how to split the woofers to the 4 channels.

Another option would be maybe to buy another 4 channels amp ?!