Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to connect amp to OEM radio

DrMadZcientist

Post by DrMadZcientist » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi all

Had a good look through the forum but haven't found what I was after. I'm looking to install the sub and amp from my old car into the zed but don't want to swap the OEM radio with an aftermarket one as I prefer the stock look. I was hoping to use the old wiring as its still in good condition however from what I have seen I cannot directly connect the audio cable (looks like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-12-DB-LIN ... 0759420172) to the OEM stereo. How can I go about solving this problem i.e. is there some sort of connector etc that would do the job, or an alternative cable (I'm pretty crap with electronics :cry: )?

Also, where can I connect the remote wire? And any recommendations on how to feed the cables from the boot to the cabin neatly?

Thanks
...................................2008 2.0i M Sport ...................................

DrMadZcientist

Re: How to connect amp to OEM radio

Post by DrMadZcientist » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Anybody????
...................................2008 2.0i M Sport ...................................

biojo

Post by biojo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 pm

you need one of these or 2

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/accesso ... converters

basically adjusts the signal from high, to a lower signal

as for the remote google brings up

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/White
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Brown
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Red
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Brown
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Violet
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Gray
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Violet
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Gray

never looked at back but idealy youd want a wire that comes live when radio is on, if there is`nt one you could add one to the accessory switched

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:01 am

You can maybe measure on the rear B connector block on pin 1 (left signal), 7 (right signal) and 3 (ground) if you can pick up a line signal.
It's a bit unclear if the z4 radio has a line out on these pins (but if it has a line out, it will be on these pins).

Remote for switching on amp (12v) is probably pin 13 from the A connector block. (best measure first)

If you google you can find scematics for pinout from A, B and C block (but sometimes they differ in accuracy...)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Buy an alpine amp, most of these have high level inputs that allow you to wire the speaker outputs directly into the amp.

The only trick then is wiring up a remote feed for the amp, some people go to ignition live, others wire in a switch.

CrazySmurf

Post by CrazySmurf » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi,

My amp has blown due to water damage and I can't find a second hand one, new ones are very expensive at £350.

I was wondering if I could replace the amp with an aftermarket amp and then use an adapter to plug and play?

I don't want to cut wires etc, can I get an adapter and just plug the new after market amp straight into the BMW connector so long as the new amp has the correct number of channels?

If not what other options do I have that are cheaper than buying new amp?

Cheers

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 pm

richardaball wrote:Hi,

My amp has blown due to water damage and I can't find a second hand one, new ones are very expensive at £350.

I was wondering if I could replace the amp with an aftermarket amp and then use an adapter to plug and play?

I don't want to cut wires etc, can I get an adapter and just plug the new after market amp straight into the BMW connector so long as the new amp has the correct number of channels?

If not what other options do I have that are cheaper than buying new amp?

Cheers
I know you said you don't want to cut wires but the link below allows you to keep original head unit

viewtopic.php?t=67364
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted