Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 - Sound Deadening and Door Speakers

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

E85 - Sound Deadening and Door Speakers

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Due to PhotoBucket's removal of their 3rd party image hosting facility without paying exorbitant fees, I've recreated the how-to using forum-hosted images

As there is a limit to the number of images that can be attached to each post, I couldn't just edit this first post and insert the new images, so I've had to split it into two posts that are now on page 2 of this thread

Jump to new posts

Perry
Last edited by PerryGunn on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

edd_jedi

Re: E85 - Sound Deadening and Door Speakers

Post by edd_jedi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 am

Just wanted to say that I found this very useful today while sorting out my damaged weather membrane :)
2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe (gone)

Chazaxl

Post by Chazaxl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:12 am

Just bought a Z4 and was thinking of doing this. Was it worth the effort to sound deaden?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Chazaxl wrote:Just bought a Z4 and was thinking of doing this. Was it worth the effort to sound deaden?
Everyone who's put in the sound deadening seems to think it's been a worthwhile exercise
Alpina Roadster S #320

Chazaxl

Post by Chazaxl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:01 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
Chazaxl wrote:Just bought a Z4 and was thinking of doing this. Was it worth the effort to sound deaden?
Everyone who's put in the sound deadening seems to think it's been a worthwhile exercise
Thanks - will be doing the same - considering doing some over the floor too - it can only help.

gingertosser

Post by gingertosser » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 pm

i dont think the sound deadening in the airbag exit in the door card was a good idea but nice Wright up

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 am

gingertosser wrote:i dont think the sound deadening in the airbag exit in the door card was a good idea but nice Wright up
It should be fine as long as you keep the deadening in two halves (either side of the fracture line) so it doesn't inhibit the panel splitting should the airbag go off
Alpina Roadster S #320

Spikey

Post by Spikey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:16 am

Very useful post - ill keep this one tagged for the future ( when I get brave enough)

EJL

Post by EJL » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Great post - hope to do this in the future!

Z4 Roadster 3.0i Sterling Grey | 108's | Heated Seats | Wind Deflector | Dension BT Gateway | Whip |ZHP |

Gone: Mini Cooper S Charcoal Grey

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:05 pm

PerryGunn wrote: In the 6-speaker stereo, the tweeter in the triangle above the door receives a full range signal and there is an in-line capacitor close to the tweeter to create a high pass filter - this is the black heatshrink-wrapped blob to the left of the tweeter in this photo.
Help me a bit here.

Looking at wiring diagram it shows that signal for tweeter and front woofer are shared. And rear mid range speaker (behind your head) is alone on channel.
Another thing that puzzles me;
Base 6 speaker system:
Tweeter 4 Ohm
Footwell Woofer 2 Ohm
MID range rear 4 Ohm

If I understand correctly you've added a pair of 4 Ohm speakers on front Tweeter/Woofer channel? So you've split the resistance?

EDIT:
After calculating you haven't altered ohm load much. Probably that's why the system still works although it's a bit more strain for radio's amp to drive 2 additional speakers.

Resistance of original setup would have been 1,3 Ohms. With added speakers you get Ohm load of exactly 1 Ohm.
Last edited by RenoRaines on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 pm

RenoRaines wrote: Looking at wiring diagram it shows that signal for tweeter and front woofer are shared. And rear mid range speaker (behind your head) is alone on channel.
Another thing that puzzles me;
Base 6 speaker system:
Tweeter 4 Ohm
Footwell Woofer 2 Ohm
MID range rear 4 Ohm

If I understand correctly you've added a pair of 4 Ohm speakers on front Tweeter/Woofer channel? So you've split the resistance?
Effectively another 4ohm speaker has been wired in parallel with the 4ohm tweeter this gives an effective resistance the same as a 2ohm speaker or, to look at another way, it's the same as replacing the tweeter with an aftermarket 2ohm unit

This means that the amplifier will be delivering twice the current but the effective SPL will be +3db which is a doubling of SPL (assuming identical speakers) so you would require less current to achieve the same SPL as the original config i.e. you'd have the volume knob turned down a bit.

At the end of the day, lots of people had done this before me and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues for anyone
Alpina Roadster S #320

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01 pm

The other thing to consider is of course the current. I would like to continue the story. So front speakers are driven from the same channel. Instead of adding front speaker would it be able to add 2 bass speaker in the rear. Rear channel speakers are "alone" on the channel. Could you simply add 2 OEM (2 Ohm from HiFi option for instance) speakers on the back using the existing channels?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 am

RenoRaines wrote:The other thing to consider is of course the current. I would like to continue the story. So front speakers are driven from the same channel. Instead of adding front speaker would it be able to add 2 bass speaker in the rear. Rear channel speakers are "alone" on the channel. Could you simply add 2 OEM (2 Ohm from HiFi option for instance) speakers on the back using the existing channels?
I believe that people have tried this before but with limited success. The consensus seems to be that, once you get past adding the door speaker and possibly replacing the footwell woofer & door tweeter with better-quality units, you should be looking at an amplified setup.
Alpina Roadster S #320

SamUK

Post by SamUK » Wed May 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Great, just what i was looking for..

I am installing new 4" components and 6.5" Mid Bass Speakers on the weekend

Amp & Jl Clean Sweep in the following Weeks (powering the 4" & 6.5" speakers - in the interm these will be powered via the head unit.

So my question:

My 4" components have Cross overs with them, would i simply remove the wire from the existing 4" speaker and connect this to the cross over - then take new wires from the cross over to the new 4" & new tweeter

How much of the inner door were you able to get through the holes? is it near the size of the hole or covering a bigger area inside?

I wonder if its worth putting on on the outer part of the door were the weather proof thing goes on?

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu May 07, 2015 10:00 am

SamUK wrote:Great, just what i was looking for..
My 4" components have Cross overs with them, would i simply remove the wire from the existing 4" speaker and connect this to the cross over - then take new wires from the cross over to the new 4" & new tweeter
The standard 6-speaker setup doesn't have the 4" door speakers (just space/mounting points for them) - you'd take the feed to the door tweeter and connect it to you crossover (this feed is full range) and then connect your new speakers to the crossover.
SamUK wrote:How much of the inner door were you able to get through the holes? is it near the size of the hole or covering a bigger area inside?
You can cover the majority of the outer doorskin through the holes, there comes a point where it narrows down and you can't get your fingers in far enough to press teh sheets down but you can use a flat trim tool to get a bit further
SamUK wrote:I wonder if its worth putting on on the outer part of the door were the weather proof thing goes on?
If you wanted to add some mass to the inner doorskin, you could add silentcoat to the rear of the inner panel (the one with the holes in it) - not sure how much it would help as this panel is mostly 'hole'
Alpina Roadster S #320