Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Extreme Audio Upgrade. May contain shocking Images!

AndyG

Extreme Audio Upgrade. May contain shocking Images!

Post by AndyG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 pm

I've been looking at how to improve my audio system since a bought the car over 12 months ago. I priced up the sub conversion and investigated the swap over of all the existing speakers including adding some in each door. It all seemed like hard work and the end result, disappointment and an empty pocket. Eventually I exchanged the head unit for a Sony "Ipod Ready" unit which would allow me to connect my Iphone via a USB lead into the front. Marvellous thing it is too and a profound improvement on the stock BMW item. However, I was still not entirely satisfied. Something was missing. The sound was crystal clear but I wanted more. I wanted to be punched in the head by punchy low frequency bass. What could I do that would provide satisfaction and scratch that bassy itch? Now lots of you are not going to like this but I don't care as the results were and still are astonishing.
Have a look at this................

What you are gazing at with incredulous disbelief is a 12' diameter 1200watt FliTrap active subwoofer. The Sony headunit has the Sub outputs already hanging out of the back and the remote power up lead to switch it on automatically when the headunit is powered up. 3 wires from the front to the back of the car and a direct connection to the pos and neg battery terminals. I can describe the technique for the head to boot cable run for anyone with the foresight to embark on the Boom Boom project.
Look at this...........

Not the best picture but you can just make out the quick release connector which enables the unit to be removed in seconds. I have also installed a couple of little brackets to hold it still whilst driving in a spirited manner.
To fit it into the boot I had to cut down the Sub enclosure as this model would of touched the suspended shelf and prevented the roof from being lowered. I also trimmed the boot floor panel to ease access to the battery and tools. A shame really as this was the only intrusive alteration to the car, however, easy peasy to do and it took minutes. look a the picture blow to see the shelf clearance I achieved with a simple hand saw.

The crux of this story is that the Active Sub cost me £60 from Ebay and that included free delivery. The quick release connector cost me about a fiver and the entire installation took about 2 hours. It sounds AWESOME!!!!! It makes your hair vibrate. I now have a sound system that outperforms my mates Porche 911 Carrera 4S Bose system. And all for about £70. Happy days.
I don't play golf and my children are adults. I shop frequently or Tesco deliver it. Incidentally,If you own an E89 you can't have one of these as it will catch on the lid.
Consructive criticism welcome and thanks for reading. :D
2004 3.0i auto,stubby,sound generator,Carbon Badges,1.2Kw active sub,18" Ellipsoids,Kumho Extensa's,Silver calipers and hubs, Chrome nuts,Red Stuff EBC pads all round.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Extreme Audio Upgrade. May contain shocking Images!

Post by Taz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 pm

er, what happens to your golf clubs?

AndyG

Post by AndyG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Taz x wrote:er, what happens to your golf clubs?
I haven't played golf since my skull fracture at Coven 9 hole in 1978. I do not intend playing in the future. :)
2004 3.0i auto,stubby,sound generator,Carbon Badges,1.2Kw active sub,18" Ellipsoids,Kumho Extensa's,Silver calipers and hubs, Chrome nuts,Red Stuff EBC pads all round.

Drshemming

Post by Drshemming » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Not for me as I am more of a radio 4 kind of chap, but well done, it looks a good job, is the sound quality improved?
E85 3.0si Sport, Manual.

Sold many years ago - E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i, Auto, MFSW, Heated Seats, Cruise, DSP, GapTech Remote Roof, 108s, 107s, Bluetooth, Leatherz Armrest, stubby de tango'd.

AndyG

Post by AndyG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Drshemming wrote:Not for me as I am more of a radio 4 kind of chap, but well done, it looks a good job, is the sound quality improved?
It's radio 4 in my work van but the Zed represents freedom of expression......... Seriously though, it does sound wonderful. The whole car acts as a speaker and the sound, which is rich and deep simply travels through to your bones. You know the feeling when you are stood in the crowd and the band strikes up? The sudden wall of sound? That's just what it's like. I should think so as it's 1.2Kw. It'll probably affect my MPG :(
I'm pleased as it has turned out to be a cheap and very effective mod with no real impact upon the vehicle.
Cheers for looking.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Good effort, the FliTrap subs have always been good :w00t: value for money, offering a good thump for buck ratio... :thumbsup:

Bass test CD anyone? :w00t:
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 pm

That is awesome - it has been years since anything made what little hair I have left vibrate :D

I do like that you can drive around the countryside waking up toffs on a Sunday morning, then take it out so you can get something else in the boot and use it like a normal, non-bone-marrow-blending car. Though why you would ever want to put anything else in there again is beyond me. You are obviously old enough to know better, which I love - great job :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 pm

takes me back to carl the cavalier....happy days..

looks impressive, can't bit a bitta bass...try one of andy c's nightlife series...king of the double drop, sounds awesome through a good set up.

Z4 TEX

Post by Z4 TEX » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Technically a good job, but do you not think it may be a bit Citroen Saxo ?
Image :poke:
Image Silver 3.0 Si Sport Roadster

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 pm

I bet that Saxo gets an additional 50bhp and improved syraight line acceleration from the compressed air lift at the back reducing the weight and simultaneously improving grip at the drive wheels :P
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Z4 TEX

Post by Z4 TEX » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Bing wrote:I bet that Saxo gets an additional 50bhp and improved syraight line acceleration from the compressed air lift at the back reducing the weight and simultaneously improving grip at the drive wheels :P
WTF :?
Image Silver 3.0 Si Sport Roadster

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 am

Z4 TEX wrote:
Bing wrote:I bet that Saxo gets an additional 50bhp and improved syraight line acceleration from the compressed air lift at the back reducing the weight and simultaneously improving grip at the drive wheels :P
The speakers are huge and facing down - there will be a lot of air shifted by them, vertically downwards... It was a bad joke, sorry...

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:52 am

Bing wrote:
Z4 TEX wrote:
The speakers are huge and facing down - there will be a lot of air shifted by them, vertically downwards... It was a bad joke, sorry...
i got you... :wink:

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 pm

:lol: at the Corsa - I love the combination of subs AND 6x9s...

AndyG, that takes me back to my youth - although I do still have my latest sub/amp setup, it's installed into my campervan instead :oops:
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

AndyG

Post by AndyG » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm

JaEdBa wrote:takes me back to carl the cavalier....happy days..

looks impressive, can't bit a bitta bass...try one of andy c's nightlife series...king of the double drop, sounds awesome through a good set up.
I'm afraid it's deadmau5 and Skrillex at the moment which is hardly appropriate for a middle aged man in middle management. I'm so pleased that this cheap little mod has had a positive response. It is as good as it looks (Hmm) but better with the roof up for many reasons, both acoustically and for my self respect and dignity. all I need to complete the ensemble is a stuffed white tiger. :D