Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MP3 Player / MP3 CD / New CD Changer advice please?

s4vva

MP3 Player / MP3 CD / New CD Changer advice please?

Post by s4vva » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi all, my CD changer is stuck (again) and this time it doesn't look like it's coming out. My thoughts are even if it does come out it's not going to be any better next time. With that in mind I wanted to explore my options. I have made a list below of what I see as my options and the relative costs, I would appreciate your comments;

1. Replace the CD changer - will be expensive and who knows I could find myself in the same situation in future
2. Buy and install a Dension Gateway 100 - I have an old ipod at home which I could use. My only concern here is how will I navigate through the tracks on my head unit? Is it cumbersome and will it display the track names etc? (I have an 03 grey non mp3 head unit).
3. Replace my head unit for the newer version that plays MP3 CD's. - Probably the easiest option of all?
4. Buy an AUX cable (no way can I make my own) and route that to where I would want it - seems like alot of trouble).
5. Do nothing and stop listening to music and enjoy the sound of that straight six.

srhutch

Re: MP3 Player / MP3 CD / New CD Changer advice please?

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:34 pm

6. Buy my Dension IceLink Plus for £75 :wink:

Displays ID3 tages on headunit.
Full control of iPod from MFSW or head unit.
Works with older iPods
Utilize Playlists.
Navigate by album, artist etc.

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33260

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Where did you want an aux cable socket situated then? Surely the usual position (easy to fit) under the dash is fine with a lead as long as you require to stash your player? And its the second cheapest option (before 'do nothing' LOL).

I personally find all this display stuff very offputting - my player just goes on shuffle and I tap the skip button to move it on if I'm bored, far less dangerous than trying to scan it using the radio display while in motion....
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

s4vva

Post by s4vva » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm

@srhutch - sounds good, it's a possibility but I will have to look into it further, never heard of the Icelink plus (no mention of it on the Dension website), how does it differ from the Gateway 100?

@lacroupade - you are probably right, I am just crap at doing stuff like that, how much do you think it would cost including fitting?

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:01 pm

a parrot kit would also give you bluetooth

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Buy THIS aux lead for a tenner, and route it into the glovebox - that's what I've done although I rarely use it as I've also got a (functional!) 6-disc changer but also an OEM MP3-disc playing headunit.

Fitting the lead is REALLY easy once you've got the centre air vents out - DIY guide is on the site if you have a search I'd think.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

s4vva

Post by s4vva » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:09 pm

a11y wrote:Buy THIS aux lead for a tenner, and route it into the glovebox - that's what I've done although I rarely use it as I've also got a (functional!) 6-disc changer but also an OEM MP3-disc playing headunit.

Fitting the lead is REALLY easy once you've got the centre air vents out - DIY guide is on the site if you have a search I'd think.
This might be the way to go. I would probably run it to the usual spot (under the dash opposite the ashtray), as I have my phone on a proclip nearby. What's the deal with selecting an inline circuit board / resistors, how can I tell if I need them?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:28 pm

I don't recall that info previously when I bought mine - fairly certain I don't have those inline bits, and that was starting with my 54-plate pre-facelift that originally had a non MP3-disc playing headunit.

A tip: if searching on ebay, the X3 headunit from the same era also fits the Z4...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

s4vva

Post by s4vva » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the tip, I don't think I will bother changing the head unit though. For the sake of £12 I may aswell try the AUX lead first, failing that I can explore the other options. Thanks for all your help guys!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:02 pm

s4vva wrote:@srhutch - sounds good, it's a possibility but I will have to look into it further, never heard of the Icelink plus (no mention of it on the Dension website), how does it differ from the Gateway 100?
They no longer make the IceLink Plus, but it does the same job as the 100 except there is no AUX, which with an iPod you don't need anyway.