Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit bluetooth on E85, anyone?

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Retrofit bluetooth on E85, anyone?

Post by Taz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

have you considered just fitting a parrot kit?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Have a read of this site and the many different page related to retrofit

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_Z4_Bluetoo ... tions.html
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Have a read of this site and the many different page related to retrofit

Keep up CJ, I posted that link back on page 1 :poke:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 pm

srhutch wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Have a read of this site and the many different page related to retrofit

Keep up CJ, I posted that link back on page 1 :poke:
I know - saw it and don't think op is reading up, just asking questions :wink:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:12 pm

I've got a question and didn't want to start a new thread for it ;)

I'm currently planning to upgrade to a multifunction wheel and in reading up about it I'm suddenly mesmerised by this idea of having OEM bluetooth. I don't know why - I don't even talk on my phone in the car that often (maybe that would change with bluetooth though!).

My build date is 09/03 and I don't have the prewiring for the retrofit buttons under my steering column. I do however have the bulge on the back of my bulkhead/in the boot where the ULF module would mount. Does anybody know whether the fact that I've got this bulge would indicate that the car is pre-wired for bluetooth? I'd rather not have to pull the carpet out to check if the harnesses are in there!

I don't have the microphone on the steering column - it's up next to the ceiling lights at the top of the windscreen. At the least the grille is - I can't see if there's actually a microphone in there (I'll have to pop it open and have a look).

Thanks.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 am

Interesting the carpet is raised already for the ULF module.
The US models used to have a 'presided for bluetooth' badge, but not the UK and no idea about Aus.

Frankly I thinknyou have to ask a dealer or pull the carpetnand look for tied up leads to be sure. Anything else is guesswork.

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 am

My guess is that the bulge is a block of foam which I subsequently removed when fitting the module in my coupe.
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 am

Let me clarify that I don't for one minute suspect the bulge will contain the ULF or cradle, rather the only real way to be sure if the harness is in place is to lift the carpet.
Earlier UK cars didn't even have the raised carpet, just flat on the bulkhead.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44 am

Oh don't get me confused - I absolutely agree that the chance of finding the ULF module behind there is worse than zero!

If there is just a block of foam behind the bulge then that would mean that I would have to buy one of the ULF mounting brackets too. Like you suggest though CJ, it would seem that the best bet would be to pull the carpet and have a peek. I'm just worried about breaking the clips that you mentioned broke when you pulled your carpet. I'll try to remember to pull the ceiling light out tomorrow to check if there is a mic in there.

With regards to calling the dealer, do all of the dealers have that kind of info at their fingertips (i.e. not just the dealer who originally sold the car)? Will they tell you over the phone?

Two more questions:
1. Do you have voice control working? I was reading about issues with the ULF modules being only in German and despite other languages being code-able by the dealer it never works in anything but German.

2. Is any coding necessary or is it literally plug and play?
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:59 am

All dealers can access the build detail. Will they? Best bet is always in person at the counter.

Voice control works on both my conversions Z4 and now sold X5. Voice iirc depends on the generation of module of 13 launched. Voice is from 8 onwards.

I needed no coding as it all was plug and play.

Hardest job is all the wiring for the loom boot to steering wheel and mike and sourcing bits cheap on eBay.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Awesome. I'll keep my eye out for a gen 8+ ULF and have a poke around the boot on the weekend.

I just had a look in the TIS and it should be technically possible to remove the carpet screws without breaking them. Will report back with my findings ;)

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:08 pm

bimmernav no longer sell the kit even though their site suggests otherwise - discovered after one long exchange of emails with them!!!
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 pm

The guys on the forum always had me as the guinea pig so I broke a few things learning....lol

I have a list if all ULF versions by part number at home so can cross reference if needed.
Not at home for a couple of weeks - happy to say :)

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

VvrooomM wrote:bimmernav no longer sell the kit even though their site suggests otherwise - discovered after one long exchange of emails with them!!!
Good to know!
cj10jeeper wrote:I have a list if all ULF versions by part number at home so can cross reference if needed.
Thanks but I've got that list as well - it's mentioned a few times across various forums.

I pulled apart the ceiling lights this morning and confirmed that there is no microphone present. There is however an unused 3-pin connector up there which I can only assume is for the microphone. This might be a good sign that I'm pre-wired for bluetooth? In any case I'll pull the carpet on the weekend and have a dig around the rear of the bulkhead...

VvrooomM

Retrofit bluetooth on E85, anyone?

Post by VvrooomM » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:10 am

Latest version of mic sits on top of steering wheel cowling. If careful you can dremmel out the hole for it, one chance shot though so go slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk