Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

'06 Coupe ICE Install *Picture Heavy*

dcoff2

Re: '06 Coupe ICE Install *Picture Heavy*

Post by dcoff2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 pm

This thread is the best info yet on an audio system for which there seems to be frustratingly little "official" data out there. I'm in the U.S., where there are even fewer of these cars, and even finding an installer or retailer that knows about them is tough. Thank you guys for going through all the trouble!

I have a planning question that may show how novice I really am about this, which is an important component here. I have a 2007 Z4 M that has (I think...) the mid-line system with 10 speakers & DSP, but not the Carver subs (I don't think...no EQ setting available in the head unit). I installed Bavarian Sound Works' "Stage I upgrade," which replaces door speakers+tweeters, and want to do more. I don't hate the sound I have and don't want to chase perfection, but I'm hoping I can go to the next level with a bit more time and money, but not breaking the bank on either front.

Based on various posts, I see the technical challenges and would be thrown to the wolves if there was line noise or activation of a protection circuit that required gutting the sytem. That in mind, I thought about just replacing the speaker elements. I see three choices: (1) replacement of the footwell speakers and all rears, though I understand the stock subs have little clearance; or (2) swap the footwell 6.5s and upper-rears (mids only?) add a sub amp and low-profile enclosure, which I suppose would involve tapping in to create a line output; or (3) go bigger with a Cleansweep and all of #2 above, with the possibility of later expansion. I don't even know where those get wired in, though.

Any tips? Thank you again. This is all REALLY (!!!) helpful.

billy_beemer

Post by billy_beemer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Last edited by billy_beemer on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z4M gone / 2009 35i just arrived / E Class Merc going strong

stlymch

Post by stlymch » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 am

billy_beemer,

I like the sound of your final solution, thanks so much for posting all this great information. I plan on doing something similar, mainly because I already have a couple of Fli 900 amps and a decent wiring kit gathering dust in the shed...

I do however have a couple of questions for you:
1. Regarding the positioning of the amp. You say its under the carpet, is this in the boot or in the cabin somewhere?
I only ask because I really dont fancy wiring all the way from the Head Unit to the boot and back again.

2. Do you think Vibe QB69 Black Death (Rectangle 6x9) speakers would fit in the storage bins behind the seats? A little modification isn't a problem for me but I dont want to take an angle grinder to it this time ;) I only ask because I already have the speakers and they do make one hell of a racket, I will probably only turn them on when I'm feeling rowdy...

Thanks,
Stlymch

Mitch89

Post by Mitch89 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:00 am

Very nice install th30d0r3! My car has the mid-level sound (lots of speakers, none of them very good) and it's definitely pretty poor. Having had the door trim off to checkout a broken window regulator, the speakers are absolute junk.

Two of my dad's previous BMWs (BMW 328i E36 Convertible and MINI Cooper S Cabrio) had the Harmon/Kardon upgrades which sounded awesome, then his 125i E88 and 20i E89 had the sucky standard audio, a significant step down. Great to read a write up like this to fix it!
BMW Z4 3.0L manual

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 am

That's a great write up, thanks :thumbsup:

Any chance you took pics during the install?
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Darkangelv2

'06 Coupe ICE Install *Picture Heavy*

Post by Darkangelv2 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am

I know I’m reviving an old thread but this needs moving to the How-to section please mods!

I’ve found it super useful installing my own speakers alongside PerryGunn’s excellent door panel thread (my car is facelift so thankfully didn’t require the membrane’s removal).

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53812&hilit=Door+panel+sound
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2