Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Build your own iPod/iPhone dock

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Build your own iPod/iPhone dock

Post by inkey$ » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

This weekend I set about the task of converting my ashtray into an iphone dock. What I wanted was:

- A central unit for the phone or ipod to dock securely.
- Not worried about charging, just connecting to my aux cable.
- The ability to shut the ashtray cover when not in use.
- Better impedance match through an apple data cable rather than the headphone jack.
- No wires showing anywhere!

So I bought a very cheap, black ipod dock from eBay (£3.40 delivered) that was small, but not small enough. Took it apart, created a trace of my ashtray and cut to roughly the right size so it would work with the angles of the ashtray but remain front facing (as opposed to slightly angled).

I then took the 'hole funnel' out (think this is supposed to be an access point for an aux cable in my 05 ashtray) as it wasn't needed; then dremmeled the plastic lugs from the inside of the tray so my adapted dock bodywork would sit on top of the ashtray light - conveniently about the right height needed to still be able to access 95% of the phone when docked.

Have ordered a data-to-jack cable from eBay (£3.49 delivered). Once it arrives I'm going to drill into the back of the ashtray and fix the data end into the adapted dock (no need for the circuit board that was already in it), then either seal the entire unit with black silicon or liquid rubber. Lastly I'm planning to cut a black plastic blanking plate so it 'seals' the left hand side and gives me a small coin area.

If it comes off it should be a very cheap and very simple solution. The bonus is that with my iPhone it will also act as a handsfree. After testing it this afternoon I can make calls through the stereo aux and hear the other caller through the speakers while they hear me through the standard mic-in on my phone (so long as I talk clearly!).

Anyway, I'll keep all posted on how I get on. I know Tweed is doing something similar with resin so between us Im sure there's a winner that's far cheaper than ordering the $150 US bespoke thingy and waiting months/paying £s duty.

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Here's a very quick illustration of the job - [emphasis on 'quick'].

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Build your own iPod/iPhone dock

Post by inkey$ » Wed May 05, 2010 7:48 am

Quick update: the connector data-to-jack cable has arrived so the next phase of construction can begin. :thumbsup:
Last edited by inkey$ on Wed May 05, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed May 05, 2010 7:59 am

G
Last edited by Spooky on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 am

Looking good... glad you've done this as I was thinking about something similar before I bought the Dension. Looking forward to how it turns out!

Does your dock have a 3.5mm jack on the back? (as below) I only mention this as that is already a line connection.

That would then leave the data cable free to connect to rob a feed from the lighter socket to power the iPod / iPhone. Well, that was the theory at least. Not trying to over complicate things, but would hate my silence to cause you to miss an opportunity!
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed May 05, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Pawn - thanks for the head sup re: the line out. I had actually considered this, but didn't want to charge the phone, just line out it. Trouble with any dock is that you need a 5v current to switch it into taking the signal from the line out port to your stereo. No power input means no output, and the music will play through the speaker on the phone. Rather than try and use my limited knowledge on trying to convert the 12v to 5v by adapting and hardwiring a charger cable I've opted for the simple audio-only option. My ipod/iPhone never really runs out of juice and if it does I'll just charge it in the normal way.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 am

Ah - my home dock / Touch combo works without the power and yes, they do manage to go a long time between charges.

Good work... nice to see things being done for the first time :thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

klarky

Post by klarky » Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm

let us know how you get on, id be interested as i use the small hole below the cubby door for my iphone with some foam in, then run a cable to my aux in inside the ash tray. i tried propping the iphone in the ashtray but the lid got in the way, was considering some sort of fold down holder built into the hatch on the dash directly above the ashtray

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Update on the iPhone dock. Here's how it's turned out. Hot glue gunned in after customizing. Had to cut a lot more off the dock than I thought in order to get the right 'angle' once the phone is in place. Other than that it went like a breeze, holds the phone lovely, the lids shuts flush over the lot and it even gives me space for change!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

klarky

Post by klarky » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:32 pm

glad to see it worked out well. ive sold my iphone now and got an htc desire so im now looking at doing music bluetooth as my phone is held onto the centre vent by a magnet so i can use it for google nav.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm

klarky wrote:glad to see it worked out well. ive sold my iphone now and got an htc desire so im now looking at doing music bluetooth as my phone is held onto the centre vent by a magnet so i can use it for google nav.
Those magnet thingies are pretty good aren't they. I got one for my Garmin satnav so I don't have to keep fumbling (or forgetting) the windscreen suction holder.

daveg

Post by daveg » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Nice that it is completely covered when not in use - nice one Inkey.

Klarky - I just got a Desire, mind letting me know how you get on with bluetooth audio :thumbsup:
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

klarky

Post by klarky » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Will do Dave, picked up a bluetooth receiver off bay so phone should pair with it, receiver is plugged in to aux in, seems simple but I'll wait till i have it installed.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Update pics after install last summer and after a request from benlumley...

Forgot to say last time, there are a few things to remember when doing this mod. They are:

1. Choose your dock carefully before bastardising with a craft drill. Mine will only fit iPhone 3 or 4 but not iPod as that uses wider docking unit.

2. Remember to get the angle of the dock right so the phone isn't leaning too far forwards.

3. Don't sit the dock to low down in the ashtray as you'll need access to the central unlock button and swipe.

4. Try to get yourself a black dock so it matches the interior. Easy from eBay for a few squid.

5. Lid should shut flush so keep checking levels and fill etc.

Ben - Hopefully these images help out with the build. Keep us posted on your own mod for this :thumbsup:

benlumley

Post by benlumley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Ta very much for the pics - its more vertical than i expected, assume you've no problems seeing it tho.

Does it remain seated fine and not wobble? It doesn't look to be supported at the back, just sort of balanced on the connector ... or does it lean on the ashtray lid?
06 Black 3.0si Roadster

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Its a worry I had too, but is actually pretty solid in there. There's a little back and forth movement - a millimeter here or there - but nothing has so far unseated it. Doesn't wobble unless you push or pull it and the fit to the connector is stable (try and move your phone/ipod when its docked to see how much).

Screen wise you don't look at it unless you're changing tracks anyway and the brightness and angle isn't an issue. Depending on what kind of dock you get I'm sure you could angle it back further if you needed to though so it touched the centre console or ashtray lid. Trouble is that you'd then have to angle the dock more and that would mean lid shutting issues and additional customization. I wanted it to be pretty simple.

If you have controls on the wheel as you're planning I think you'll be okay Ben. My only hassle is changing tracks or playlists as you have to look down to do it and it can be a bit of a faff. Generally I create shuffle playlists for the car so that obviously helps.