Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Build and install your own AUX Cable!

Stromtech

Re: Build and install your own AUX Cable!

Post by Stromtech » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:45 pm

First time I have read of a problem with the length of the socket. I know with the BMW Mini aux it it would have been difficult to get the retaining nut on with the label plate so I left the plate off and no problem. Not much point to the little plate as you can't see it under there. Not sure if you have the label plate or not on you assembly.
2004 3.0i 6 speed, Sterling Grey, Premium, Sport and Convenience packages

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:49 pm

fallingman wrote:Okay, I'm cursing a lot right now.

First the good news... I got the air-vents out in around five minutes. Reading all the advice on this forum about releasing those fiddly clips really paid off. Thanks all!!! :thumbsup:

So vents out and head unit out.

Next I turn to the cable I got from In-Car Tunes. I got the one with the circuit board fitted in-line.

Plug it in and - Hey Presto! - an AUX option appears on my MODE button.

So far so good.

Then I drill a hole in the panel beneath the head unit. All nice and neat and the cable socket fits through snuggly.

BUT - the socket isn't long enough to protrude all the way through the panel :(

Somehow, I have to reduce the thickness of the panel around my drilled hole. Or get a new cable with a longer socket (which I'd rather not do)

Any ideas anyone? :?
Hi, I had the same problem, I think there is a post on here somewhere about it.

Anyway what I did was drill hole about 10mm for the complete socket to fit through, then cut a nice neat piece of metal lRectangular) thin enough to mount the socket in and rivet that onto the panel with small pop rivets/screws ... obviously with the previously drilled 10mm hole in the centre. I even put a little "Aux" decal on it. Sorry I don't have pictures, good luck

fallingman

Post by fallingman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Stromtech wrote:First time I have read of a problem with the length of the socket. I know with the BMW Mini aux it it would have been difficult to get the retaining nut on with the label plate so I left the plate off and no problem. Not much point to the little plate as you can't see it under there. Not sure if you have the label plate or not on you assembly.
Hi - thanks for replying. Sadly I have no label plate, so no room to be made for my short, short socket.
E85 Z4R 2.0i Sapphire Black (2005)
Done: Storm Motorwerks gear knob and hand brake cover, AUX-in, chrome tailpipe, gapTech RCH+

fallingman

Post by fallingman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:47 pm

fixit man wrote: Hi, I had the same problem, I think there is a post on here somewhere about it.

Anyway what I did was drill hole about 10mm for the complete socket to fit through, then cut a nice neat piece of metal lRectangular) thin enough to mount the socket in and rivet that onto the panel with small pop rivets/screws ... obviously with the previously drilled 10mm hole in the centre. I even put a little "Aux" decal on it. Sorry I don't have pictures, good luck
Thanks for the advice. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's found this problem.

Sadly I'm no metal worker, so I'm wondering whether anyone here still has an AUX label plate they decided not to use and wouldn't mind selling to me? That way I could try fixit man's solution with a ready-made plate!
Done: Storm Motorwerks gear knob and hand brake cover, AUX-in, chrome tailpipe, gapTech RCH+

Neilw

Post by Neilw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 pm

I've finished my cable now. Found spare pins to fit the connection on the stereo (Bluetooth installed) The hiss is gone. And I have the socket lenght issue described a few posts ago. Maplins must of changed the design. I will make a metal face plate aswell I think.

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 pm

It seems nothing I do with this car can EVER go right...

Followed the instructions and created the cable, (to the letter) plugged it in... Nothing. No AUX to be seen :-(
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:24 pm

My capacitor/ resistor section...

Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Looking at those solder lumps you might have a dry joint. It's also possible you might have damaged the components from overheating if you used a high wattage soldering iron. Sorry, but faster and less hassle to buy a cable!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks, I believe my capacitors are the wrong way around... The OP needs modifying to mention this... Both my +'s are onthe radio side... Which I think is wrong???

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Well, no joy. Tried the capacitors both ways around, even Re-soldered the lot.

Just plain doesn't work, all ideas welcome. :-/

fallingman

Post by fallingman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:02 pm

As described a few posts before, my socket was too short to protrude all the way through the paneling - I had no label plate - and I'm rubbish at metal-work.

Luckily Redzedfour rode to the rescue :thumbsup: - and now this little beauty is letting me listen to my entire music library in the Zed. :D

Interior probably needs a dust :oops: - but I'm getting hiss-free (though low volume) sound.

Next mod here I come!

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 pm

fallingman wrote:As described a few posts before, my socket was too short to protrude all the way through the paneling - I had no label plate - and I'm rubbish at metal-work.

Luckily Redzedfour rode to the rescue :thumbsup: - and now this little beauty is letting me listen to my entire music library in the Zed. :D

Interior probably needs a dust :oops: - but I'm getting hiss-free (though low volume) sound.

Next mod here I come!

Well done, looks great :thumbsup:

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Does look great, wish my cable worked :(

Krazee K

Post by Krazee K » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi

Really sorry to ask another question about aux input but I have read literally every thread on this and still cant get it to work!

I have a 2003 Z4 3.0i with the 10 speaker, DSP sound system with CD Changer and Bluetooth Parrot System. I bought the cable with the part number ending 389.

When I took then head unit out there was only the harness plugged in (i.e. Ports B and C were both empty) much to my suprise as I understood the CD changer would take up one but they're both empty.

I've now plugged in the aux in and the aux option never came up, so I wired in the 2 capacitors to the L + R leads and a 300k ohm resistor across the two as I read that this would make the head unit recognise it but still nothing.

I've tried it on various different pins after reading it should go on 2 8 and 9 rather that 3 4 and 10 but I just cant get anything...

Please please help cos I am so frustrated!!!

RichardP

Post by RichardP » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:19 am

fallingman wrote:Interior probably needs a dust :oops: - but I'm getting hiss-free (though low volume) sound.
Use the number keys to adjust the Aux in sensitivity.