Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intravee II and Auxiliary

sharif

Post by sharif » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Evening all,

I hope you are well.

I've tried to search this and have not been able to find a clear answer.

I've just purchased a 2006 MC. The car has Navigation, DSP & BT. A previous owner of the car has fitted an Intravee II and there is also an iPod lead in the central storage compartment (picture attached).

I have not had a chance to strip the boot liner yet, but I believe there must be an Alpine KCA-420i somewhere within.

My question is, does the Intravee II allow an auxiliary connection? Or is an Intravee Switch required in conjunction?

I run an Android phone and the signal from the radio is terrible, I'd like to get an auxiliary cable to be able to play music off my phone.

I note there is MINI part which can be ordered to allow an auxiliary connection which goes into the back of the headunit or alternatively I could purchase a Fruity cable.

What would be the best way forward?

Many thanks,

Sharif
Attachments
Picture
Picture
20200608_185044.jpg (228.29 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Current - Edition 30 Golf GTi

Previous - Z4MC

sharif

Post by sharif » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 pm

Evening all,

Thought I'd add I purchased a BT streamer which connects to the 30pin iPod cable in the car. I set it up and whilst the Intravee detected the device, no music could be heard from my Andriod phone (using Spotify).

I will probably give the auxiliary option via Fruity / the MINI part a go in the interim, but I'd really like to have the option to stream music via BT. However, as the car has BT for telephone calls already, I am unsure if this is possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stream music via BT if the car already has a BT system (for telephone calls) in place?

Many thanks,

Sharif

Previous - Z4MC

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:12 pm

You can get an alpine switch to enable connection to another device along with the intravee, but I think that is only for dab.

You can easily add aux as you suggest straight to the head unit, or you could unplug the alpine/intravee and fit a Bluetooth streaming device that are E46/39/85 specific and on Amazon for around £30.

Not used one myself as I still use an iPod on my intravee.

sharif

Post by sharif » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you for the advice!

I've opted for a Fruity cable in the interim.

A lot of the bluetooth streaming devices are not compatible with DSP. After doing more research, I think I may remove the Intravee system and look to get a GROM BT unit for Android compatibility.

Previous - Z4MC

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:24 pm

I think the compatibility issue with DSP is due to the early optical version. This was dropped later and the later type like you have shouldn’t be an issue. Even the intravee needed an adapter if you had optical DSP.

sharif

Post by sharif » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 am

Thank you! Do you know what production month/year the optical DSP was changed? My car was built in June 2006.

Previous - Z4MC

LionelDalziel

Post by LionelDalziel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Connecting the devices together via a bluethooth connection will be simpler and easier to play music.

tonyz4c

Post by tonyz4c » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 pm

The Intravee only works with Apple device, so you can add a dongle to bt music but only from an iphone and not an android phone

I have brought one of those BT for streaming music from my android phone but i didn't install it.
You have to remove the intravee to use the cable plugs, the bus can handle only one device at a time

I don't think that it will be a problem to still use BT for phone call from the car device and BT music from the other device

Your car is phase 2 ( coupe / M ) so you don"t have the optical DSP
:driving: Z4MC Carbonschwarz - Caramel
Database of M /3SI http://perso.numericable.fr/tonyz4c

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:49 pm

tonyz4c wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 pm The Intravee only works with Apple device, so you can add a dongle to bt music but only from an iphone and not an android phone

I have brought one of those BT for streaming music from my android phone but i didn't install it.
You have to remove the intravee to use the cable plugs, the bus can handle only one device at a time

I don't think that it will be a problem to still use BT for phone call from the car device and BT music from the other device

Your car is phase 2 ( coupe / M ) so you don"t have the optical DSP
Optical DSP. Was dropped before facelift just for clarification.