Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth Audio E85

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:18 am

Hi All,

There are lots of threads out there about audio but I think this issue is more specific. Now that the majority of phones have no AUX jack and my music is now cloud based through apple music, I wanted to add a bluetooth dongle to the car that would attach to the AUX. Not too bothered about charging the phone at the same time but it would be a bonus.

I have Pro Nav and DSP in the car.

Before I bought the car I thought it would have a female AUX below climate control but didn't realise pre 07 cars dont have this. A previous owner has had a Denison gateway 100 installed this has an iPod 30 pin lead that is routed to the glove box. I really dont like it. I find the old way of setting the 1-6 CD changer to play playlists very antiquated and having an ipod in the car with minimal control is a pain. So would like a wireless solution so I can just set the phone to play.

First thought was to buy a bluetooth to AUX adapter and power it though the cigarette lighter. Then realised the car doesn't have an AUX lead in the dash nor has the AUX been attached to the Denison Gateway 100, although this can be remedied pretty easily just need to find where the Denison is. Assuming it would be fitted behind the head unit? Or would it be situated behind the CD changer in the boot?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Im not sure whether this is correct too but if I leave the dongle plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time it will slowly drain the battery? Bit of a pain to remove it all the time, the cigarette lighter has broken in the past by pulling another accessory in and out. When you pull anything out it pulls the surround with it away from the console. So maybe this is something I will replace down the line.

Next thought just buy a 30 pin to bluetooth adapter as this will power itself and be nice and tidy in the dash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAYEN-i-SYNC-B ... 127&sr=1-3

Then I read on the amazon listings that these simple adapters wont work with digital signals only analogue. As far as I can tell the issue with DSP systems is it needs to receive a digital signal which makes them difficult and anything you stick in-between like an intravee, Denison etc converts a signal that the BMW head unit can understand.

So I started thinking about the 30 pin connector, it gives power and could be used with an adapter. So i found a 30 pin adapter with a split micro USB and AUX. I was wondering if this could work with the original bluetooth adapter, using the micro usb to a female micro USB to female USB A to power it and putting the AUX into the bluetooth adapter. I then read these work the same way as the 30 pin bluetooth adapters that they wont work because its a digital signal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

So is the signal definitely digital not analogue? On the Denison website it states non of the products are compatible with DSP yet I have a Gateway 100, it must be digital to put the track info on the screen....

Without spending £100 on something like a Bovee 100 has anyone come up with a solution? Surely it cant be this difficult!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:31 am

Sorry wrong section can the mods move it to audio :oops:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Fitting an aux input to the head unit is the simplest solution and reproduces the post 2007 setup. I've fitted a 3.5mm socket above the ashtray and run my iPhone into this through an adaptor that allows simultaneous charging. The inbuilt Bluetooth continues to function normally for phone calls and Sat Nav. The former mutes music play back, whilst the latter reduces the music volume and speaks over it.
I also have lots of induction and exhaust noise that make a music of their own :evil:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by ph001 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Agree, fit the aux into the head unit and then a simple bluetooth dongle into the aux. Get power for the dongle with a piggy back fuse in the fuse box. Nice neat install and no wires really visible. See my post here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104224&hilit=iphone&start=15
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

srhutch

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm

You might want to look at something like this Tom. A few have used recently I believe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Musi ... way&sr=8-1

More importantly, details of the new car :poke:

Timmyboybunter

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Timmyboybunter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm in a very similar position to you OP - Pro nav, DSP, Dension Gateway 100 fitted by a previous owner.

I did have a cheap iPod working with the Dension, but the 30 pin lead was a bit dodgy so it didn't charge consistently and the audio would cut out every now and again. I also hate iPods :)

(by the way, I've used a Layen i-Sync before on my treadmill which had an iPod doc built in, to stream from my Android phone - did work quite nicely).

I'd like to retain use of the steering wheel controls if possible - so I keep seeing this product recommended:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Audi ... ics&sr=1-2

But again I'm not sure if that works with the DSP setup.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Timmyboybunter

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Timmyboybunter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm You might want to look at something like this Tom. A few have used recently I believe.
This is the bit that has me confused for that item:

"NOT SUITABLE for BMW 1 Series, E90 / 91/92 and E60 / 61/62, Reverse / Basic Radio and DSP Amplifier"

Is that implying *not* suitable for a E85/86 Z4 with DSP amp?
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate the input.

Ive stepped back into an M but a roady this time :thumbsup:

I would like a less intrusive solution thats more plug and play, using something like the Bovee might be the answer, or may look at the grom. Ive taken a gamble and ordered the 30 pin to AUX and micro USB will see if it works tomorrow although I doubt it.

From the images the DSP cable input that fits into the 6 CD changer isnt present. Its the silver cable on the right.

srhutch

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 pm

tomscott wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:28 pm Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate the input.

Ive stepped back into an M but a roady this time :thumbsup:

I would like a less intrusive solution thats more plug and play, using something like the Bovee might be the answer, or may look at the grom. Ive taken a gamble and ordered the 30 pin to AUX and micro USB will see if it works tomorrow although I doubt it.

From the images the DSP cable input that fits into the 6 CD changer isnt present. Its the silver cable on the right.

You dont have that version of DSP. We have the 3 and 6 pin connections. Only early cars had coax DSP

srhutch

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm
srhutch wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm You might want to look at something like this Tom. A few have used recently I believe.
This is the bit that has me confused for that item:

"NOT SUITABLE for BMW 1 Series, E90 / 91/92 and E60 / 61/62, Reverse / Basic Radio and DSP Amplifier"

Is that implying *not* suitable for a E85/86 Z4 with DSP amp?
Should only mean coax DSP, later cars (including some precfacelift) have non coax DSP.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm

tomscott wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:28 pm
Ive stepped back into an M but a roady this time :thumbsup: ]
Be good to hear some thoughts / comparisons down the line against the ZMC , can't be many members who have gone ZMC to ZMR
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

srhutch

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by srhutch » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:45 pm

This was the one I was trying to find earlier, plugs into the loom where the cd changer would connect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Audi ... way&sr=8-2

Timmyboybunter

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Timmyboybunter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 pm Should only mean coax DSP, later cars (including some precfacelift) have non coax DSP.
OK, thanks. My 2003 therefore has the coax DSP, so needs another gizmo in addition - something like this I guess:

DSP Adapter Compatible with BMW CD Changer Connection https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077JKX1WJ/ ... pDbKPXZ21R
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 pm

Not sure if this helps but I have the same system as you but also the BMW Ipod prep cable installed, which takes the place of the CD changer.
I have a voltage coverter dongle plugged into the ipod prep cable and a BT receiver piggybacking it. It all tucks away nicely into the centre cubby.
Works seamlessly with my Android phone and utilises the AptX codec which sounds good. It even receives a downsampled 32bit DSD signal using USB Audioplayer Pro!
Would it therefore be a cleaner solution to source an original ipod prep cable from BMW?
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg (182.34 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:39 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:45 pm This was the one I was trying to find earlier, plugs into the loom where the cd changer would connect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Audi ... way&sr=8-2
Great thanks! Will have a look into this :thumbsup: .

Short term I have added an aux through the denison and out of the cigarette lighter through a bluetooth converter and works a treat. Only problem is the gap tech has stopped working now :headbang: So will have to pull it back out again.

Its not the neatest so will give the other cables ordered above a go tomorrow.

I also found the source for why the cigarette lighter is broken its very tight getting the panel out and at some point someone has broken it pushing it back into place.
mr wilks wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm
tomscott wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:28 pm
Ive stepped back into an M but a roady this time :thumbsup: ]
Be good to hear some thoughts / comparisons down the line against the ZMC , can't be many members who have gone ZMC to ZMR
Its 5 years since I sold it and my memory isn't too fresh. First impressions its like meeting an old friend or slipping into some comfy shoes.

Driving position is fantastic and the view down that long bonnet is very familiar. The engine is such a masterpiece and is better than I remember, in the roady there is a lot more sensation. I prefer the looks of the coupe but I can't help but feel the roady is how these cars were meant to be experienced. The exhaust and induction noise with the roof down is really addictive. This car also feels far more comfortable and compliant, the ride is far better than the H&R springs in my coupe although the car looked fantastic it was a back breaker ride. Its on standard suspension, but I haven't really pushed it yet but I dont think its too bad was a great drive back to manchester very comfy.

It has the standard exhaust but also came with a custom stainless steel exhaust with an X pipe... which I think may sound incredible but i find the standard more than enough. Il see how I use it before making a decision. Bought to use daily and a weekender so think it might be worth keeping it stock.

The DSP is also miles better in the roady than the coupe... I remember it being so rubbish in my coupe and is really rather good in the roady... very weird dont know if its the cabin or maybe there was a problem with my coupes speakers.

Only had it 2 days and so far so good, looking forward to getting stuck in. It has most of the things I wanted and doesn't need much work. The previous owners have been fastidious and there's very little to do but hit the road.

I feel very comfortable in it and love that axe murder type feel, push it too far and it will bite. On the other hand it gives confidence as i said its so familiar that it feels natural. Very different to the cars I've had inbetween. I found the 987 S a bit boring and predictable also very problematic and the 996 is a bit on the heavy side but really love that car but much more a cruiser than an A and B bruiser. Like the Z a childhood pin up same era and so good it its own way. As most know the Z is like a dart and rotates round the hips. There isn't really much like it and there's certainly nothing being produced like it today. It also screams volumes how much value these cars are, im a big porsche guy but there's nothing in that world that I think comes close to these without spending double. The only downside is they do feel slightly antiquated in the tech department like this discussion but its also part of the charm.

Main reason I didn't buy another coupe is I already had one I enjoyed it so much that I struggled to find one that would match it and I don't think I ever will so best to move on. After having the 996 vert it really opened my eyes to top down driving, been round and round with so many cars and nothing was tickling my fancy and with the market as it is I think its a great time to buy was just finding the right one :thumbsup:

I think this is one to keep really made a big mistake selling mine and regretted it ever since. This is definitely a long termer as the other cars I would like are 4 times the price and I can't really justify having that much money in a second car.
Chris_D wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 pm Not sure if this helps but I have the same system as you but also the BMW Ipod prep cable installed, which takes the place of the CD changer.
I have a voltage coverter dongle plugged into the ipod prep cable and a BT receiver piggybacking it. It all tucks away nicely into the centre cubby.
Works seamlessly with my Android phone and utilises the AptX codec which sounds good. It even receives a downsampled 32bit DSD signal using USB Audioplayer Pro!
Would it therefore be a cleaner solution to source an original ipod prep cable from BMW?
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg
This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking at but the reviews on amazon say it won't work with a digital signal... do you have links to the bits? :thumbsup: