Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth Audio E85

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:38 am

There is certainly a enhanced S54 experienced cracking on in the roadster :evil: id agree on the stock suspension too :wink: my first was on it & i never felt the need or urge to lower it , handled & drove perfectly , the following two were on Eibachs & whilst i know its a well trodden route for looks they are in no way a match for the oe springs .
The boxes i changed on 3 simply due to the underwhelming look of the original tailpipes :cry: so at the same time a little more theatre was added :) no regrets there :D in truth though all you really need to add to any ZM is a GruppeM , they are a must do imo .
Sure you will enjoy the car , be good to see some more TS Z pics on the froum :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 am

Well thanks for the warm welcome back, I am looking forward to getting stuck in.

Have to agree I was expecting to be underwhelmed after reading the forum over the years but have been very pleasantly surprised but havent pushed on with it yet so will explore in good time. TBH I quite like the understated look of it. It gets lots of attention driving on the road few waves which is nice, parked up it seems to go under the radar a little which I really like. The Porsche seems to get a lot of attention just because it has the badge which can be worrying as there are more rough than nice places in Manchester.

The stainless exhaust has some very nice big tailpipes the fill up the space from images ive seen so may swap them over at some point without the Xpipe. Might give a nice hybrid of looks and a bit more sound from the previous owners comments it was too much very drony on long runs, I tend to spend most weekends up in the lakes and commute up the M6 so needs to be useable. As they are custom not off the shelf I dont really know what they sound like so hesitant to swap them out for now. The back boxes are straight through so I would say they are loud!

GruppeM is certainly on my list hopefully one may pop up on the forum or might order one once I have some other bits done. The CSLs still have the old Vreds I bought it 2012 so although they look fine I should probably get some new rubber on them. Needs some new discs on the front, slight wobble on really hard braking but they are ok for now. The headlight washer pipe has also perrished and been removed so need to sort that too. Interesting issue is the bonnet alarm catch is unplugged because it sets the alarm off so I think I need a new sensor, when reattached and locking after about half an hour the alarm goes off.

Other additions - Would love some aero skirts and also a strut brace as I thought that was a great addition on the coupe surprised how it tightened up the front end. Saw one for sale on the forum but the price was a little more than I thought I dont remember paying quite that much for one, so will again get one in good time :thumbsup:

Once I get a few jobs done like the wheels, wheel caps and a good detail will get some pics up for sure :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am

Chris_D wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 pm Not sure if this helps but I have the same system as you but also the BMW Ipod prep cable installed, which takes the place of the CD changer.
I have a voltage coverter dongle plugged into the ipod prep cable and a BT receiver piggybacking it. It all tucks away nicely into the centre cubby.
Works seamlessly with my Android phone and utilises the AptX codec which sounds good. It even receives a downsampled 32bit DSD signal using USB Audioplayer Pro!
Would it therefore be a cleaner solution to source an original ipod prep cable from BMW?
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg
This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking at but the reviews on amazon say it won't work with a digital signal... do you have links to the bits? :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Converter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-TO-5V-CHAR ... 0544929943

BT receiver:
https://www.gearbest.com/iphone-cables- ... 28000.html

Can’t help you with the bmw ipod prep cable. You’ll have to find it yourself. Be aware that you will need to verify that your cd changer or harness has connections for the 3 and 6 pin connectors and not the coax connector.

Not sure how you are defining ‘digital signal’ but when you link your phone to the BT receiver and stream music this way then yes, it’s by definition a digital signal, be it from a radio app or music playing app.

The BT receivers utilise the A2DP or AptX or AptxHD or all of the above codecs which are just compression formats for converting the original file format; mp3, FLAC, AIFF, DSF etc into a streamable format for tx/rx over bluetooth. Theyre all good and in the zed you won’t hear the difference in SQ, especially if youre streaming a radio signal. I can stream HiRes 24 bit Flac files etc and they sound great.

I’m quite fortunate that my car came to me with the ipod prep cable already installed and the previous owner even left the voltage converter attached to it. Didnt realise what it was at first but once I found out and then attached a bt receiver to it I’ve been using it ever since. Simply leave it all attached and tucked into the centre cubby and dont need to do anything other than select the cd changer on the head unit and start playing music through my phone.
It also broadcasts telephone conversations.

I can highly recommend USB Audioplayer pro if you have Android.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

srhutch

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 am

Think you might be in for a shock re Aeros and strut brace Tom :cry:

A set of Aeros sold on here last weekend for £700 and braces like you had are £300+

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 am

Chris_D wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am
Chris_D wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 pm Not sure if this helps but I have the same system as you but also the BMW Ipod prep cable installed, which takes the place of the CD changer.
I have a voltage coverter dongle plugged into the ipod prep cable and a BT receiver piggybacking it. It all tucks away nicely into the centre cubby.
Works seamlessly with my Android phone and utilises the AptX codec which sounds good. It even receives a downsampled 32bit DSD signal using USB Audioplayer Pro!
Would it therefore be a cleaner solution to source an original ipod prep cable from BMW?
Photo 08-09-2016 20 57 09.jpg
This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking at but the reviews on amazon say it won't work with a digital signal... do you have links to the bits? :thumbsup:
Converter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-TO-5V-CHAR ... 0544929943

BT receiver:
https://www.gearbest.com/iphone-cables- ... 28000.html

Can’t help you with the bmw ipod prep cable. You’ll have to find it yourself. Be aware that you will need to verify that your cd changer or harness has connections for the 3 and 6 pin connectors and not the coax connector.

Not sure how you are defining ‘digital signal’ but when you link your phone to the BT receiver and stream music this way then yes, it’s by definition a digital signal, be it from a radio app or music playing app.

The BT receivers utilise the A2DP or AptX or AptxHD or all of the above codecs which are just compression formats for converting the original file format; mp3, FLAC, AIFF, DSF etc into a streamable format for tx/rx over bluetooth. Theyre all good and in the zed you won’t hear the difference in SQ, especially if youre streaming a radio signal. I can stream HiRes 24 bit Flac files etc and they sound great.

I’m quite fortunate that my car came to me with the ipod prep cable already installed and the previous owner even left the voltage converter attached to it. Didnt realise what it was at first but once I found out and then attached a bt receiver to it I’ve been using it ever since. Simply leave it all attached and tucked into the centre cubby and dont need to do anything other than select the cd changer on the head unit and start playing music through my phone.
It also broadcasts telephone conversations.

I can highly recommend USB Audioplayer pro if you have Android.
:thumbsup:
[/quote]

I think its the DSP? I dont know I have just read most of the adapters like Denison bluetooth, iPod 30 pin adapters etc are listed as incompatible with the DSP. It may be that it means factory fitted 30 pin connection but surely its pretty much the same. I assumed because the DSP is digital and not compatible yet the business and 6 speaker are compatible or is it that the DSP converts the analogue signal. No idea.

That being said a previous owner had a Denison 100 installed currently which has the iPod adapter in the glove box it also charges the ipod, but it displays the track so it must be digital? I pulled it out last night and added AUX which is a temporary fix and attached that to a bluetooth dongle into a usb cigarette lighter but its not great looking mod with it sticking out the ash tray. Im not the most technical but suppose spending £10 to try wont be the end of the world.

Thanks for the links really appreciate the input :thumbsup:
Last edited by tomscott on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 am

srhutch wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 am Think you might be in for a shock re Aeros and strut brace Tom :cry:

A set of Aeros sold on here last weekend for £700 and braces like you had are £300+
:cry: I think it will be a long termer so will do bits at a time as they turn up for sale. I suppose they aren't getting any younger and these bits are getting rarer not being available from BMW anymore.

srhutch

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by srhutch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am

I'm sure all these adapters that say they are not compatible with DSP are referring to COAX only.

Take a look at this for the Intravee.

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

"PLEASE ALSO NOTE: If your car is fitted with the DSP Hi-Fi option please check your CD Changer to ensure it has the 3 pin and 6 pin connections - if it has a coaxial type connector you will also need a separate analogue to digital converter. (See the DICE DSP Adapter further down the page.)"

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by tomscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... ag=z4fo-21

So the cable arrived and it works by plugging it into the 30 pin apple connector. The cable is absolutely awful, it fell apart plugging it in... but it works. Also gives power through the micro USB and can plug into the bluetooth dongle I have.

Its all a bit of a mess of cables. As it works all the others should too. No reason a dedicated 30 pin to bluetooth dongle shouldn't work! Like Chris. D has done above. Result! So much easier can just tuck into the dash :thumbsup:

Will order this one today and hopefully will be here tomorrow to test.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

It would mean that the Denison and any of the apple 30 pin addapters must convert the analogue signal to a digital one so happy days should work with any of these type of accessories. :thumbsup:

Timmyboybunter

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Timmyboybunter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 pm OK, thanks. My 2003 therefore has the coax DSP, so needs another gizmo in addition - something like this I guess:
DSP Adapter Compatible with BMW CD Changer Connection https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077JKX1WJ/ ... pDbKPXZ21R
I finally got around to rummaging in the boot today - to find this:
20190808_172845.jpg
20190808_172845.jpg (193.72 KiB) Viewed 5160 times
So, it looks like my 2003 model does not have the coax DSP. I've uninstalled the Dension unit and ordered the 6+3 bluetooth interface from Amazon (but not the DSP converter!) and am hoping that when I plug it in it all just magically works :D
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

terryo

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by terryo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 am

i'm also looking to add some modern inputs to my E85 rather then ditch a perfect good stereo, The VIN decoder says my car (2litre, UK market) is pre-wired for the CD changer so i'm assuming it has a plug somewhere in behind the rear storage pockets. BUT, my car already has the optional factory AUX in . I am guessing this plugs in to the back of the stereo where the CD changer harness would also go. i've checked the TIS and the wiring diagram shows different pin numbers are used for the CD changer and the AUX IN, but can anyone confirm or refute this is all possible and the system wont get into a tangle?? thanks

DamianPinder-George

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by DamianPinder-George » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
How did you get on with the amazon Adaptor chap? I'd like to install one in my Z4 while I have the boot linings apart but reading the reviews, it seem the BT connection can drop out on some of them. There are reports of audio quality problems too. How's yours, ok?

Timmyboybunter

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Timmyboybunter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm

It's not perfect, but easily worth the money - at that price point it's a no brainer I think.

Issue:

1) Sometimes the audio comes through stuttered/slowly - this has only happened twice, and both times I had the phone in a bag rather than stuck to the dashboard (I have successfully had it in a bag/jacket etc. many times however without stuttering)

2) Sometimes I get inteference which matches the engine revs - but not always and it's quite quiet

3) I've posted somewhere else, but if no audio is sent for a while (e.g. using Google maps, where you're on the motorway for a while so no instructions are read out) then the head unit will drop the connection to the CD changer (and hence to the bluetooth dongle) and revert back to the last input e.g. Radio. As the bluetooth volume is quieter, this makes me jump every single time :D

Minor gripes though - having easy use of Amazon Music, Alexa and Google maps in my personal case means it's worth every penny.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

kic_Mike

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by kic_Mike » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Have the above fitted in my car too but I got the option from ebay that comes with a mic too (the amazon one wasn't available and I was impatient) - it actually works brilliantly! (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Fr ... 2749.l2649)

I was concerned the mic would be terrible and useless but it's actually functional - you can answer the phone by pressing the 'up' button on the wheel and hang up with the 'down' button which is great - and those I've called seem to be able to hear me clear enough even with the mic routed down beside the aux input!

Only real issue is that the call volume is quite a bit lower than music volume - most new cars with bluetooth automatically adjust the volume for calls but obviously this doesn't, just have to be quick on the volume when the call ends to avoid sh*tting yourself.
Car Photographer based in Scotland - Co-owner of keepitclean and run cleanfest - Scotland's Premium Car Show
Montego Blue Z4 Coupe

johnnyr6

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by johnnyr6 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 pm

So, after reading this thread I went onto Amazon and found this..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Rece ... 028&sr=8-5

Has anyone tried this module? The plug looks different from the other one.

Johnny.

Torpalasse

Bluetooth Audio E85

Post by Torpalasse » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:27 pm

johnnyr6 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 pm So, after reading this thread I went onto Amazon and found this..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Rece ... 028&sr=8-5

That one goes in the back of the radio, the other in the trunk instead of the cd-changer. Booth will do the job i guess

Has anyone tried this module? The plug looks different from the other one.

Johnny.