Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sound Generator Modification

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Sound Generator Modification

Post by Bing » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 pm

For the facelift 3.0, this thread might help, though it is not about the sound gen mod :

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=+DISA

The 3rd from last pic shows the sound generator removed sitting on top of the engine, the 2nd last one shows where it attaches to the bracket which has the engine side tube on the other side, the last pic shows the end of the tube (above my thumb, still attached to the bracket) with one of the bits of foam inside. If you follow that tube back to the bulkhead then you will find the other end that just pulls out, where you will find the other bit of foam. Most people take the bit at the bulkhead out, not the bit at the end in the photo.

Hope that helps :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

thealphabeta

Post by thealphabeta » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Just done it. Took about 3 mins :)

Not convinced by the sound. It is rather loud!! I only did the bulkhead foam too

dawsonz

Post by dawsonz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Any chance the pictures could be updated?

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm

The pics on my thread should help. If I get a chance I'll take some more, but don't hold your breath as I'll probably forget :roll:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

thealphabeta

Post by thealphabeta » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Done it ta mate. Once I got in there it was pretty obvious :roll:

Not sure I like the sound though. Only took the one bit out but it still sounds pretty loud

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Loud is good :evil:

Should only be intrusive under enthusiastic acceleration ; at other times it should sound pretty normal. Unless someone has already removed a the bit at the other end ? When I took both out it was waaaaay to loud, almost made my ears bleed under full load :o

stevie_514

Post by stevie_514 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

i took both bits of foam out, stuck wiv it for a couple of weeks but the noise was too much, so put back the foam nearest the engine block, now the noise is just right for me but only with heavy acceleration.
2011 2.8i m sport white with red interior

thealphabeta

Post by thealphabeta » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Yeah it's only under heavy load but its the tone that doesn't sound right to me. I did just come out of a 993 though

dawsonz

Post by dawsonz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Hopefully going to give this a try this week, although will likely be in the dark as I want to have it ready for my drive at the weekend.

bojan

Post by bojan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:42 pm

The photos wouldn't load, can someone re-post photos please for us others, thanks!

BluZiff

Post by BluZiff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 am

photos for this would be great, what happened to them all ?
3.0i Titanium Silver Roadster, Top down and proud!

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 am

Guys, just do a google search for:

Sound Generator Z4

And click on images, there's plenty there caus I've just looked!!

bojan

Post by bojan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Just did sound generator improvement but on a 2.5. I have found out on google that you need 8 parts together to do it on a 2.5. So I have ordered it in Bmw Croatia, and here it cost me 100£ for all 8 new parts+17£ for the mechanic to put it in. Took both sponges out and it sounds awesome, not loud at all, just perfect. Tried with one but was not so raw as without any. When I had Mazda Rx-8 I had a k&n typhoon system and that sounded like jet fighter landing.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote:How-to is here also:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63037
Worth saying this is for a pre-facelift - the facelift N52 engine is different, as is the sound generator. This has just reminded me I promised photos... I can't do a how-to to fit one, but will try and at least take some that show where all the bits are over the weekend.