Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sound Generator Modification

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Sound Generator Modification

Post by sk93 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:47 pm

I wasn't able to find a difinitive how-to for this realatively straightforward mod, and as I wanted to try it, I thought I'd put one together.
Again, all the thanks should go to the other members of this forum, who's posts and tips enabled me to do and write this!

Requirements
1x BMW Z4 3L
1x Medium-sized flathead screwdriver
1x Plaster for inevitable cut finger.

Costs
Zero.

Step 1
Open the bonnet and look for the plastic tube that leads from the air intake tubing, into the cabin.
Standing at the front of the car, the tube is located at the back right side of the engine

Step 2
Gently pull the tube out of the hole that leads to the cabin. Mine felt a little tight to begin with, but a gentle bit of twisting whilst pulling and the tube came straight out.

Step 3
At the other end of the pipe, it is secured to the main air intake trunking with a jubilee clip.
Using the flathead screwdriver, loosen this clip. Once it's loose, attach the plaster to wherever the screwdriver slipped and entered your finger.

Step 4
Under the middle section of the sound generator is a small clip that keeps the pipe attached to the side of the engine block.
Unclip this clip, then lift the piping up until the plastic groove on the top edge of the generator clears the rim of the engine block top.

Step 5
With both clips now unclipped, the jubilee undone, and the far end removed from the cabin, you should be able to remove the entire sound generator from the car.

Step 6
With the sound generator removed, you can now seperate the rear pipe from the big front section.
Using the flathead screwdriver, carefully prise the small pipe from the main unit.

Step 7
With the pipe seperated, you should see a peice of dark coloured foam in each end:

Remove both peices, so that the small tube is now empty:

Step 8
Re-assemble everything in reverse order and you're done!

It's a pretty easy mod to do, and only took me about 20 minutes including taking the photos.
I recorded a soundclip (from inside with the roof and windows closed!) so you can hear what having no foam in sounds like.
http://blog.ianmellor.co.uk/images/car/ ... rding4.mp3

TBH, for me, I found it extremely loud under heavy acceleration (wouldn't hear stereo!) and when moving slowly, it sounds like you've got a hole in the exhaust.
I'm going to put the foam that sits closest to the engine block back in and retry to see what that's like... I'll probaby edit this with another sound clip once done.

However, here's the complete HowTo - and it's not hard, so go do it yerself :P
:zzzz:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Sound Generator Modification

Post by sk93 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:08 pm

stuck the foam back in nearest the engine block, and it sounds much better.
the "roar" is still there, but it's not deafening anymore and it also removed the "broken exhaust" sound at low speeds.

Still recommend you try different combinations of the foam yourself, but this got my vote :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Nice write up.

I think most people who have done this mod and lived with it, have gone for variants of trimming the foam or removing one piece. I'm sure both out is way too loud.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Spud

Post by Spud » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm running it with both out. Hooligantastic :rofl:
- nav, prof. sound, PDC, individual estoril/anthracite interior
- folding mirrors, heated seats, intravee II, stubby!

daveg

Post by daveg » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:23 am

Spud wrote:I'm running it with both out. Hooligantastic :rofl:
Same here - dangerous move though. Car's MPG has dropped so much since doing it :? :evil:
03 3.0i SE For Sale
Done - P Zero Rosso's | Stubby | 107's | ///M MFSW | ZHP | Cruise | Custom boot/license bulbs | Full circle brake | 330 calipers | EBC Ultimax/Greenstuff | Clear sides rears + 3rd brake | Strut Brace | 4 wheel align

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 am

Great write up. :)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:10 pm

:D Thanks for the positive feedback all :thumbsup:

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:12 am

daveg wrote:
Same here - dangerous move though. Car's MPG has dropped so much since doing it :? :evil:
I don't see how it can effect the MPG??

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:16 am

peddy wrote:
daveg wrote:
you'll be amazed how the noise increases the depression of the throttle.
it's a viscious circle. press pedal - hear noise - pedel gets pressed harder - hear MORE noise - rinse and repeat :P

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:23 am

sk93 wrote:
peddy wrote:
daveg wrote:
you'll be amazed how the noise increases the depression of the throttle.
it's a viscious circle. press pedal - hear noise - pedel gets pressed harder - hear MORE noise - rinse and repeat :P
'doh' i feel stupid!! :oops:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 am

peddy wrote: 'doh' i feel stupid!! :oops:
It's late - I'm sure we can let you off :P

easty027

Post by easty027 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:27 am

Good write up. i did mine about a year ago and still have a single piece removed (the foam closest to the cabin) and its great under hard excelleration towards the higher rev range. People always comment on how good it sounds. At the slowr speeds you cant hear it which in my opinion is a good thing.

I tried both pieces out, and it just didnt sounds right to me. Its a brilliant idea by BMW though for fitting it in the first place.

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 am

easty027 wrote:Good write up. i did mine about a year ago and still have a single piece removed (the foam closest to the cabin) and its great under hard excelleration towards the higher rev range. People always comment on how good it sounds. At the slowr speeds you cant hear it which in my opinion is a good thing.

I tried both pieces out, and it just didnt sounds right to me. Its a brilliant idea by BMW though for fitting it in the first place.
+1
That's exactly my oppinion :D

Johnnybwaiting

Post by Johnnybwaiting » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:10 pm

Wow Guys,
Thanks for the fascinating how to. Now I have a weekend project. Very informative and great recipe style directions I may be able to do it without screwing anything up. But that remains to be seen
great presentation