Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Uneven rear suspension

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Buckz

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Buckz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 am

There's leg/alignment point for the spring on the upper part, you sure yours is sitting correctly? I remember having difficulty getting the spring with the pad back in. I did align them and drop the car and pushed it down a boot a few times. Mine seems to sit fine. Did you take it for decent drive ? I think that'll place everything where it should be too.

Chris1981

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Chris1981 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks Steve... I'm hoping that's the case too!

Been up and down a few times now and may still have them slightly out... getting new tyres and 4 wheel alignment tomorrow so will ask the garage to give it a once over and let me know if anything is wrong!
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Chris1981

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Chris1981 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks Buckz... they look to be seated correctly in the top but will check again, been on a few decent drives since so would have hoped everything is settled by now!
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Steve84N

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 pm

The top is not the problem, it's the bottom I struggled with. I drove around on it for a while before I realised so no it doesn't just settle by itself...
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Chris1981

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Chris1981 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 am

Just wanted to close this one off.... and admit to my errors!

Got the car back from full alignment and suspension health check and all is good, there are no issues with the placement of the springs or any bushings etc... It would appear the issue is actually my fat a$$ and stupidity :oops: ... I was checking straight after getting out the car following a bit of a drive so was still sitting slightly low on the drivers side... Turns out the Mrs was right and I have let myself go since getting married, but I maintain that's her issue now! :D

When parked on level ground and left for a while to settle the difference is between 5-10mm so within spec, still noticeable to me so may well look into getting a thicker spring pad in the future but for now all good and thanks for the advice provided!

Now time to get some spacers to complete the look!

Deek

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Deek » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Chris, did you ever get this resolved? I’m facing same problem.

Deek

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Deek » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Speed reading and dint read last post :?

R60BBA

Uneven rear suspension

Post by R60BBA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am

This isn’t just apparent on Z4s, but is also on most other BMWs. It’s not an ‘urban myth’ either.

As others have mentioned, they’re designed like this to ‘corner weight’ the driver of a LHD.

Adjusting the spring pads is the cheapest fix.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

DOOM

Uneven rear suspension

Post by DOOM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:25 am

Just changed rear springs and shocks myself, will have a look later
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Ewazix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am

R60BBA wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am This isn’t just apparent on Z4s, but is also on most other BMWs. It’s not an ‘urban myth’ either.

As others have mentioned, they’re designed like this to ‘corner weight’ the driver of a LHD.

I'm not wanting a bun fight over the LHD set up story, but when I was concerned about the height difference on mine I took the trouble to research the myth. There is no difference in anything L/R apparent in TIS, speaking to my Indi, he says its not so. I scoured the web for exactly what component or part of the 'set up' is supposed to be different. Until someone comes up with a proper technical source for the story I can't see any reason to believe it, but would love the idea if catering for lardy LHD drivers to be true :D
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Uneven rear suspension

Post by ben g » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am

Mine definitely sits higher on the n/s rear. I mostly notice it when walking back to my car. I always assumed it was normal. I've replaced rear shocks and springs (and re seated the spring pads a million times) and it's still slightly higher than the o/s rear.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

R60BBA

Uneven rear suspension

Post by R60BBA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am

Ewazix wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am
R60BBA wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 am This isn’t just apparent on Z4s, but is also on most other BMWs. It’s not an ‘urban myth’ either.

I'm not wanting a bun fight over the LHD set up story, but when I was concerned about the height difference on mine I took the trouble to research the myth. There is no difference in anything L/R apparent in TIS, speaking to my Indi, he says its not so. I scoured the web for exactly what component or part of the 'set up' is supposed to be different. Until someone comes up with a proper technical source for the story I can't see any reason to believe it, but would love the idea if catering for lardy LHD drivers to be true :D
Don’t need to mate.

If you want to get technical I suggest you do a field test:

Go to a BMW dealership and measure the difference in rear ride height on every car in the forecourt.

Your urban myth will become reality. :thumbsup:
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Bumpy

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Bumpy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am

Well let's take a look .
I humbly present my observations to the body of enquirery.
The battery and the windshield washer reservoir is on the right side of the E85 3.0SI. Also the fuel filler is located on that side.
Not sure if that's enough weight bias to be noticed by a sharp eyed Zed owner.
The muffler is placed on the left side.
Not too sure how much effect the location of the steering column might have cause I have no idea how much that weighs.

It might have been helpful during this inspection of saggy corners, it a straight edged ruler had confirmed how much and where the sag variations exist. I know from my vast experience that most often the suspension's components take the most abuse on the side of the car closest to the curb / ditch. Any fatigue / deterioration, seized bushes / seals most likely present on that side. Wheel rash and tyre scuff would be a good indicator of the extent of that sort of damage. In the worst case scenario, damaged suspension components can seize and thus resist other components return to their natural state.

Cheers and good luck with this.
Bumpy

Now I can return to inspecting BMW OEM Sparkplugs to try and figure out what they did to them to make them so ridiculously expensive, with such a short service life, and as one American N52 owner discovered ..a $600 USD labour charge to remove and replace 6 spark plugs ! (Yes, that's just for labour. Parts are extra !)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Ewazix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:00 am

Bumpy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am

Well let's take a look .
I humbly present my observations to the body of enquirery.
The battery and the windshield washer reservoir is on the right side of the E85 3.0SI. Also the fuel filler is located on that side.
Not sure if that's enough weight bias to be noticed by a sharp eyed Zed owner.
The muffler is placed on the left side.
Not too sure how much effect the location of the steering column might have cause I have no idea how much that weighs.

It might have been helpful during this inspection of saggy corners, it a straight edged ruler had confirmed how much and where the sag variations exist. I know from my vast experience that most often the suspension's components take the most abuse on the side of the car closest to the curb / ditch. Any fatigue / deterioration, seized bushes / seals most likely present on that side. Wheel rash and tyre scuff would be a good indicator of the extent of that sort of damage. In the worst case scenario, damaged suspension components can seize and thus resist other components return to their natural state.

Cheers and good luck with this.
Bumpy

Now I can return to inspecting BMW OEM Sparkplugs to try and figure out what they did to them to make them so ridiculously expensive, with such a short service life, and as one American N52 owner discovered ..a $600 USD labour charge to remove and replace 6 spark plugs ! (Yes, that's just for labour. Parts are extra !)
.... Question is, what is the suspension part or setting that is supposed to be different L/R. If it exists one if our knowledgeable crew must know? Nothing in TIS, Pelican or any forum or web article to suggest any part or setting is configured for LHD lardy drivers. Just curious to know a factual answer :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Bumpy

Uneven rear suspension

Post by Bumpy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Just curious to know a factual answer :)
[/quote]

Factual ?
Just checking my British Colloquial Dialects Thesaurus to make sure I wasn't just insulted.
I posted on an American Forum and they said "No facts here since before the First World War.
Looks good so far. :fuelfire: