Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power roof problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Power roof problem

Post by gannet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I've just (finally) done the checking of my drains, and rather surprising - completely clear :o

still good to know :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Going to do mine next weekend; putting new discs, pads and sensors on, and I believe you can get access to the bottom of the drain when you take the cover for the brake wear sensor off, put a hoover to it and suck out the crap that way?

For the OP, I think the first thing I would do is lubricate the mechanism. There's a post about it somewhere around here, I believe it was said that bike-chain oil was the thing to use, while the hood is half up to give good access.

wasupdu: if the dealer's replacing your motor, they should replace it with the newer version, which is a sealed unit and doesn't have the same problem of getting water-logged. Probably still a good idea to clean your drains though (or make the dealer do it when they have the hood off ;))

Jay9K

Post by Jay9K » Mon May 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Sounds like your motor might be on it's way out, mine failed over the winter and had it replaced by BMW in Chigwell cost £700.
Shipkiller has DIY instructions on replacing the motor and clearing the drians that cause the issue.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333198

jpbo

Post by jpbo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

good day

i just this morning got the same problem, it was slow to retract and open
and just stop after, no more movements. i washed my car the evening before, it' a 2006 3.0 ie. is these year came with the upgrated motor? before i' m looking to replaced it,what should be done before ,to be sure it's the problem, i clear the drain hole it seems o.k.
thank you :?

tomrdy

Power roof problem

Post by tomrdy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 pm

People delete the rubber thingy??! I put mine back in :headbang:

Well, my contribution to this thread - if you happen have your side skirts off for whatever reason, another way to clear the holes!

When I had my side skirts off for my wrap, I accidentally found it (it fell out) and I was like "what's this??!".

Wasn't even thinking about the drains at the time but checked they were all clear and popped the rubber back in.

I am in Australia though so maybe for the best as I did find black widows in my side skirts haha.
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia