Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help required with rear shelf clips

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
d3matt

Post by d3matt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:14 pm

I replaced my rear shocks this afternoon. I went to put the clips back into the rear shelf hinge and I've forgotten how they fit - as its been a week since I removed them. For the life of me, I couldn't work out how they go back or even where exactly they go.
z4shelfclips3.jpg
z4shelfclips3.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
z4shelfclips2.jpg
z4shelfclips2.jpg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Z4shelfclips1.png
Z4shelfclips1.png (436.1 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
I only had one per side.

Help!!

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:22 am

The clips fit in the holes you have highlighted with the red ring from above. You can see them in the pdf that is on this link http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1215892.
Basically they clip in from above, it's a bit difficult to access, but can be done by moving the fabric flap that covers the roof tray. Also I think there should be two on each side, the front ones I attached by going from the front of the car over the back of the seats into the roof tray area.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:54 am

I've done a few. ..

There should be 4 clips, I usually find the missing ones in the roof drain area!

Rearmost clips can be refitted from in the boot, I lie in and pop them in. The front ones need the shelf in the upper position, then get into the car and remove the wind deflector if fitted. You can then easily reach through between the seats and fit the clips.

Mike

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks for your help with this. Didn't realise you push clips home from above the shelf. No wonder I couldn't work it out.
Rear ones fitted and two ordered from BMW to replace the missing ones.

Orava74

Post by Orava74 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:33 am

Easiest way to install those 2 clips on the backside is from inside the car, just remove the wind deflector if you have one and raise the roof. You can access both side easily by reaching between seats.

Elmo

Post by Elmo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:10 pm

I found it easiest to put the clips in from inside the car feeling inside the boot. By sitting in the driver seat I was able to place the clips wide side out into position on the right side. From the passenger seat I was able to position the clips on the left side. Two of the clips I could push down and fully lock. The other two would not lock so I went back to the trunk used two thin screw drivers inserted in the now visible locking loop and was able to pull them to a locked position.